Ideas / Suggestions » Strappado....
TadakatsuH0nda wrote:Even if it were an expiring domain, there would be extremely little we could do to protect it. Taking over an expired domain is taking over a site's name alone and none of the contents, if I remember correctly.

That's right, the domain is just a name (in this case http://heavymetalrarities.com) which redirects you to an IP address (for those who don't know what it is, it's a four-number address like 127.0.0.1, for example - this address is unique for every internet connection). When you buy a domain you can make it redirect to your webserver's address. The webserver runs the site and stores all its content.

What that means is, if we buy a domain but the webserver is shut down, we can't access the site anyway. It's possible to run a webserver in your house, but I think that's not the case with this forums (neither with any big website). Probably Strappado has an account on some service which hosts the site for him, and maybe also provide the domain. So all the site's content is stored with them, and only who has this account can control what to do with the site. I don't think that there's a way to prolong the lifetime of the forums without contacting Emil himself, whether he didn't payed for the next year/month to the service.

Also I don't know what will happen if he stops paying, if the site is taken down but the data is still there, so he could re-activate whenever he wishes, or if all data would be lost. If it's expensive to run the forums, maybe he could add a donation option (via PayPal for example) so we could contribute.
Brazil (br) Male
Name: Fyt Tigersharq

Topics Solved: 2

I just saw Emil posting today a couple of video in his FB page...
Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 70

The forum is hosted by A2 hosting which i pay every month and will continue to do.
I will be back soon =)

• 3 likes this
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1466

Where is Strappado?

Hi to you all. Just wonder if Emil (Strappado) is still around and OK. I have not seeing him online for years so im wondering if everythink is ok with him. I seen him posting on "youtube" sometimes but not here anymore. Hes a good and helpful person! If anyone know please let me know. Tnx

Metal Greetz!
Greece (gr) Male  
Name: Andreas

Topics Solved: 28

Judging by his last.fm activity, he's alright.
Random avatar
France (fr) Male

Topics Solved: 0

He in the old days always replied via e-mail and in his blog. After he stopped. Why? He changed completely.
Name: sergin

Topics Solved: 3

I'm unsure truthfully. He said he would be back in the future and promoted a few of us to take care of the forum until he could return. His last appearance was then, which was late in 2015. I thought I'd heard he's raising a family, though I can't remember who from, and that obviously eats up a bunch of time, I've just been a little surprised he hasn't really checked in during the months since.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

This man was a person who more have shared metal rarities in all world by web. It is said he have vinyl, k7 and CD infinities. He's also certainly a big luck man in his personal life. I congratulate Strappado to all what he have done. Unfortunately I was knowing their blog when it was already inactive (2013), and my register in HMR was too late, when almost all links with their materials were broken. I since 2012 tried a register here, but without successfully. Only in 2014 my HMR register worked in it. Bad luck for me!

Maybe Strappado also is stressed because many members torment his patience, because they doing requests to he, and never colaborate nothing to HMR forum after. I don't believe Strappado will return here soon unfortunately. Let's go to bet at luck he do not close this great forum, because it is said Strappado pay a expensive money to keep online this community. Everybody love to gain the things, but don't help after.
Banned
Brazil (br) Male
Name: Pelu

Topics Solved: 62

He's probably pursuing other endeavors at this point. Best of luck to him. I'm raising a family also, and can vouch for the amount of time and effort that goes into doing it, if you want to do it right. It takes effort to be a good husband and father. This blog and metal in general are hobbies that I do on the side of my main purpose in life, which is doing right by my wife and kids. Serving as a teacher for a living, I am lucky enough to be paid well and to be afforded Summers and holidays off. The pay allows me to purchase copious amounts of music. \m/ I feel pretty friggin' lucky. I wish the best of luck to Strappado and hope he returns sometime. I wouldn't mind hearing from Jason Kont again as he was also a very good friend.

• 1 likes this
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

We all owe an infinite debt to Strappado for what he accomplished with this blog. He deserves a vacation.

• 2 likes this
Banned
United States (us) Male
Name: Mikael Vaalkoth

Topics Solved: 6

It is nice to raise a family. I am a father too. I hope he will be back again in "action".
Greece (gr) Male  
Name: Andreas

Topics Solved: 28

Emil, come back.
We need more of your Swedish Steel!

(viking)

• 1 likes this
Name: Sarissoforos

Topics Solved: 9

I also hope his return soon. I appreciate much sweden bands.

The HMR also miss your rips Prince Hector, you was a better uploaders in HMR. Unfortunately I was a unlucky because I found out broken all your links when I had seen and discovered your postings.
Banned
Brazil (br) Male
Name: Pelu

Topics Solved: 62

About HMR often down

Hi everybody,

HMR is as you can see more and more often unavailable, and i'm scared we can loose a big part of our uploads one day.
What is precisely the problem?
Bringer of Steel
France (fr) FemaleFemale 

Topics Solved: 4

I also would like to know this.
Sweden (se) Male

Yes, this latest down-time was over a week. I was becoming nervous. Another follower also became nervous and actually emailed me (which was way cool!). And he wondered the same question as I.

I do notice that the screen says this when trying to go to the site:

This page is currently unavailable

If you are the webmaster for this site,
please contact your hosting provider's
support team for assistance.

And I also notice that while this is displayed on the screen, the url comes up as this:

heavymetalrarities.com/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

So is the blog getting suspended for some reason? If so, why?
Banned
United States (us) Male
Name: Mikael Vaalkoth

Topics Solved: 6

I thought the site had been pulled!
United Kingdom (uk) Male

I never bothered asking Strappado why the forum is offline every month or so for a week...
and yes, this site can be shut down and disappear for another reason.

All it takes is a record company or a few of them joining together for complaints of this forum sharing music the record labels still sell.
Everybody - Stop submitting / uploading , or even requesting, what is not allowed here according to the ϟϟ FORUM RULES ϟϟ.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 340

canadaspaceman, My first thought was - The forget to pay for hosting.
Belgium (be) Male 

« Return to Ideas / Suggestions