Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Proto Metal & Early 60s/70s Metal

not strictly proto-metal but the guitar harmonizing on the two solos is definitely anticipating thin lizzy, wishbone ash, and iron maiden. I can listen to it all day long.
Name: Tomas

Topics Solved: 0

I ragazzi del Sole, italian beat/psychedelic band active from 1965 to early 70s, this was a song released in 1966 whose lyrics were dedicated to a friend who died in a motorbike accident, very heavy/proto metal for their time:

https://youtu.be/CzuPoTZBMPE

• 2 likes this
Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 86

Uppåt Väggarna (Swe) - Jag Hatar Politik (Official Video)

Uppåt Väggarna (Swe) - Jag Färdas

Reissue: https://regainrecords.bandcamp.com/albu ... ar-politik

• 2 likes this
Sweden (se) Male  YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 2523

Babylonia from Italy,born from the ashes of Era Di Acquario (a good prog band of the early 70s),between 1975 and 1976 they released three 7" of good rock/hard rock,from the last single here is a song on my channel that i dare say we can call proto metal.

https://youtu.be/A66hVKc6zfw

• 2 likes this

this is basically 70's black metal (c)

• 1 likes this
Random avatar
Poland (pl) Male

Topics Solved: 3

Killtava wrote:I predict Led Zeppelin in this thread. Anyway:

Blue Oyster Cult:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9LVYnNpYaM

icecross: This is extremely heavy for it's time....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkQoqxzHI4Q

SLON wrote:this is basically 70's black metal (c)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFnrq2S7KeA

yeah, Icecross is pretty good.
Never heard of them before Jeremy from Satan's God sent me a CD-R of a vinyl rip he made.
They are psych rock, not really doom, but i think fit in for fans of the debut LP's by Judas Priest, and Black Sabbath.
Vocals remind me of Bobby Liebling of Pentagram.

• 1 likes this
FORUM MOD!

Topics Solved: 777

Not really sure if it can be called just "proto".

Granmax is a real killer, it sounds like what NWOBHM bands will be playing in a few years from now.
Random avatar
Poland (pl) Male

I'm a huge proto-/early-metal fan.

Anyone who's remotely curious needs to check out The Day After the Sabbath blog. Rich has been compiling rare tracks form the 60s and 70s for over a decade.

146 compilations, some themed, some covering regional or national scenes, some just general all-around great rock. Here's the link to all of his comps:

https://aftersabbath.blogspot.com/p/all-comps-round-up.html

• 3 likes this
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 0

Here's a band that I think you should really check if you love proto metal Here's a Writing On The Wall song from 1969. The intro of this song should sound familiar to you see if you can catch it.

United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 13

Puk015 wrote:Here's a band that I think you should really check if you love proto metal Here's a Writing On The Wall song from 1969. The intro of this song should sound familiar to you see if you can catch it.

yeah...i know this one...the intro reminds me of Diamond Holst...pardon Gustav Head!!! (lolashell5)

• 1 likes this

champaignchris wrote:I'm a huge proto-/early-metal fan. Anyone who's remotely curious needs to check out The Day After the Sabbath blog. Rich has been compiling rare tracks form the 60s and 70s for over a decade. 146 compilations, some themed, some covering regional or national scenes, some just general all-around great rock.

That guy Rich pissed off a lot of people 'cause he'd take rare music originally shared on forums, blogs, youtube channels etc. (& info the original posters had often spent years researching) without giving any credit to the original sources of the things he posted. The guy didn't claim that it was 'all his own work' or anything, but by failing to give due credit to the original sources that was the impression that was given.
The sin of omission.
As a result a lot of great blogspots, youtube channels etc. who used to share rare & unknown music from that time period stopped updating their sites with fresh content as they knew it would only end up being repurposed by TDATS. This meant fans of the music from that era were deprived of hearing a lot of obscure music as a direct result of what he was doing & how he was conducting himself.
Thanks a lot Rich, you utter prick.

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 149

Proto-metal is always welcome. It's definitely interesting to hear how this beautiful thing called the NWOBHM found its footing, even if there were a few miscues along the way (like Thin Lizzy's "Sarah" off of their stellar "Black Rose: A Rock Legend." That's not to say that "Sarah" is a bad song - far from it - but it feels out of place on what is, pound-for-pound, their heaviest album in terms of sheer musicality).

Looking forward to some proto-metal!
Afghanistan (af) Male

Topics Solved: 2

chrispbacon wrote:Proto-metal is always welcome. Looking forward to some proto-metal!

There's plenty to be had in the section below, though there have been just a few modern things posted in there too which should really have gone to the Stoner or Doom sections.

viewforum.php?f=215

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

nonseinormale65 wrote: yeah...i know this one...the intro reminds me of Diamond Holst...pardon Gustav Head!!! (lolashell5)

*Ding ding ding* We have a winner!!! (vikingcheer)
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 13

If you're into 60s/70s Proto-Metal/Heavy Rock then you'll enjoy this 2 hour radio show/podcast/stream. It's a show called 'Wired Up' from WFMU, with this episode devoted entirely to proto-metal/heavy-rock, (or 'Bonehead Crunchers' as they call them,) with Lance from Riding Easy Records (the home of the 'Brown Acid' comp series) & host Don Bowles talking about 70's heaviness whilst playing around 30 examples over the course of 2 hours. I'm only about 20 minutes in so far, and am enjoying it a lot & figured some others here would do so too. It should keep us going 'til Brown Acid Volume 17 (yes, seventeen!) drops later this month.:

https://wfmu.org/archiveplayer/?show=11 ... ive=224388

Tracklist:
Dickens - Don't Talk About My Music
Blizzard - Peace Of Mind
Attack - School Daze
The Brood - The Roach
Grump - Heartbreak Hotel
Erik - Rebel Woman
Finch - Nothing In The Sun
The Todd - Mystifying Me
Raving Maniac - Rock 'n' Roll Man
Crazy Jerry - Every Girl Gets One
George Brigman & Split - Blowin' Smoke
John Kitko - Indecision
Flash Beverage - The Train
Nobody's Children - Good Times
Gary Del Vecchio - Buzzin'
Cold Swett - Quit Your Foolin'
Kanaan - Leave It
Mammoth - Mammoth
White Rock - Please Don’t Run Away
Zekes - Box
Captain Foam - No Reason
Waters - Mother Samwell
Transfer - Play It Cool
Brothers And One - Hard On Me
Max - Run Run
Travis - Lovin' You
Liquid Blue - Henry Can’t Drive
The Legends - Fever Games
Volt Rush Band - Love To You
Dry Ice - Don’t Munkey With The Funky Skunky
(Mikes) Mijal & White - I’ve Been You

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Brilliant find. Proto-metal certainly runs the gamut from early, manic prog (T2's "It'll All Work Out in Boomland," anyone?) to harder and harder rock (Stone Garden's 1971 album is fantastic.)

• 1 likes this
Afghanistan (af) Male

chrispbacon wrote:Brilliant find. Proto-metal certainly runs the gamut from early, manic prog (T2's "It'll All Work Out in Boomland," anyone?) to harder and harder rock (Stone Garden's 1971 album is fantastic.)

And the well shows no signs of running dry. I still make worthwhile discoveries from that era on a weekly basis. Just so many quality bands back then. A recent find; Remedy from 1974. The B Side Of their 'Walk By My Door' 45:

• 2 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

For SLON (above), who said: "Granmax is a real killer, it sounds like what NWOBHM bands will be playing in a few years from now."
Granmax is fantastic. They sadly only released two albums, but both of them are blistering hard rock/metal (though their second album, "Kiss Heaven Goodbye," is the better one in my opinion). Highly, highly recommended.
First album:

Second album:

Granicus, too, is another oft-overlooked (though not as often) proto-metal group; they released one album during their lifetime, in 1973, and another in 2010 with songs dating to 1973-1974.
First album:

Second album:

Man, thank goodness for YouTube or so much great stuff would slip through the cracks.

• 1 likes this
Afghanistan (af) Male

There was also a 3rd & final Granicus album, 'Better Days', released in 2016 then reissued this year by Hellion Records:

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

riptorn wrote:There was also a 3rd & final Granicus album, 'Better Days', released in 2016 then reissued this year by Hellion Records:

Did not know they had released a third album. Hopefully not the "final," as they put out some great tunes. But I suppose all things must pass, as George Harrison said.
Afghanistan (af) Male

chrispbacon wrote:Did not know they had released a third album. Hopefully not the "final," as they put out some great tunes. But I suppose all things must pass, as George Harrison said.

Some great tunes on that album too, but the absence of the original singer makes it a little less individual sounding compared to the 1st two.

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

This album has some metal moments on it (but also forays into funk and other stuff).

It was often maligned, but is significantly better than its predecessor ("If I Were Britannia I'd Waive the Rules") despite not having the proto-metal edge of their first five ("Budgie" through "Bandolier"). I don't know if it can be classified as "proto-metal," since it came out in 1978 after there had been several "metal" releases, but it is the last to feature Tony Bourge (who would give them their heavy sound up to this point, "Waive the Rules" notwithstanding). 1980's "Power Supply" (and, to a lesser degree, the "If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting" EP) would bring a new guitarist to the fold and would be squarely planted in the NWOBHM, but it's very interesting to hear the bridge between "Bandolier" and that point.
Afghanistan (af) Male

Random avatar
Poland (pl) Male

Random avatar
Poland (pl) Male

chrispbacon wrote:For SLON (above), who said: "Granmax is a real killer, it sounds like what NWOBHM bands will be playing in a few years from now."
Granmax is fantastic. They sadly only released two albums, but both of them are blistering hard rock/metal (though their second album, "Kiss Heaven Goodbye," is the better one in my opinion). Highly, highly recommended.
First album:

Second album:

Both Granmax albums (with bonus tracks) will be released on 26th April 2024 by Cult Metal Classics.

https://www.sonicagerecords.com/_shop/i ... t_id=73006

https://www.sonicagerecords.com/_shop/i ... t_id=73015

• 2 likes this
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 144

Random avatar
Poland (pl) Male

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to General Metal Discussions