Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Early mixes of Heavy Metal and Gothic Rock
Hey guys I've posted this in other places. But I thought I'd try here as well to see if It turned up some new results here goes:

While my biggest area of interest in music is Heavy Metal (duh!) I do have an affinity for the early Post-punk and goth scene. From around 1979 to 1988.
And for a while I've been pondering doing a write up about the concept of Gothic Metal, If it does exist at all? What the trappings of this maybe-genre is and if it exits what could it's strengths be? So I'd love to hear about some bands both from the Goths approaching metal camp and Metal bands incorperating post-punk/ Goth influences in their music. What I want to make perfectly clear is I'm not looking for modern bands and their approach to the fusion. So I'll put a stop at the year 1993.

Bands I'm already planning to write about, in no particular order:
The Peaceville bands
Christian Death
In the Colonades
Coven
Sisters of Mercy
Fields of the Nephilim
Saviour Machine
Tiamat
type 0 Negative
Killing Joke
Evereve
Anacrusis
The cult
Black Hole
Danzig/Samhain
Celtic Frost
some small mention of finnish/swedish bands in the 90's

I expect this to be a fairly extensive piece, and thus I'm painting with very broad strokes to answer my questions!

Also I'd be interested in knowing: How would you define Gothic Metal? What band would be a good example of it? Thanks in advance, friends!
Some great answers I've already received include: Morticia, Ham, Mighty Sphincter
Sweden (se) Male 

Topics Solved: 0

I love Paradise Lost early works. It's a perfect blend of Doom Metal with the sisters of mercy 85' sound. And that's all I define as goth metal.

My Dying bride sounds like Dead Can Dance with morbid guitar riffs... Totally boring.

I didn't listened many things aside from that. I'd rather listen to pure goth/post punk than 'Gothened' metal.

Former HMR moderator: 2014-2017
FORUM MOD!
Brazil (br) Male 
Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

Cool.Looking forward to your article MechaBarbarian.

One of the reasons I think I bought certain punk zines automatically as a teenager was, if it was a pretty good one, then there would be a good selection of underground genres, and the goth band feature / review / interview, with its dark / foreboding / mysterious - type imagery would compel me to want to know more.

Kind of curious about other metalheads here, if they just hung out only with other metalheads, or also punks, goths, etc. ?
I wasn't huge friends with them in highschool, but I got along with goth punks. We liked some of the same metal or goth bands, authors, had similar humor sometimes too, that jocks and preppies wouldn't get.

A couple bands I dug back then were Bauhaus and The Lords of the New Church, but never bought their records.
Just recognized them on the radio, and taped their songs off the radio.
Now with downloading / online listening, finally got to hear and like a must-listen to - T.S.O.L.- "Dance with Me" album.

PS.
I was heavily into that PARADISE LOST gothic lp when released, but never followed their career, except buying the EP with Death Walks Behind You.
Many years later, a new friend, into metal / rap / punk / etc, turned me onto THEATRE OF TRAGEDY's album "Velvet Darkness They Fear".

PPS.
I wish I could hear this entire album, heard it's part of a 4-album set!
Saviour Machine-The Stand (Original Unedited Album Recording - Rough Mix - July _ 1994)
https://youtu.be/ordIlfWKW8k

Topics Solved: 800

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to General Metal Discussions