Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » 'Bad', Inept and Weird Metal
hi,
I was wondering if there are some metal connoisseurs out there who can name me some bands and records that fall into the 'weird and /or crappy metal' category. I am not looking for 'bad' as in mediocre and generic. I searching for ineptly played stuff, lo-fi as fuck recording, outsiders, oddities, what have you. I am familiar with the 'famous' ones (Kuster, Killer Fox, Damien Storm, Wheelz Of Steel, pretty much everything on Metal Enterprises and the 'Incredibly Strange Metal comp, etc.). I like this kinda stuff, but I'm not so mucch into Myspace-era junk and Bedroom Black Metal (except the truly deranged stuff like Exmortes...)

thanks
Random avatar

Topics Solved: 0

Try KILSLUG - (1985) - Answer The Call - it's truely odd'n'weird performance. Another weird homemade "ineptity" is Putnam's SCREAMING GORE GUTS - (1985) - We Are Fucking God. Some of early proto-BM acts from mid 80s sound like fucking weird and perverted necrochaos (go try KØTSEN, BLOOD DEATH, HELLHOUSE, HELLISH TORMENT, SATAN’S MASSACRE, BLACK AGGRESSOR, BLOODSLAUGHTER and SLAUGHTER HAMMER), early BLOOD tapes and Belgian HELLSAW… Tons of them.
Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 36

The weirdest band I've ever found has to be AAAAARGH! Bloody 2-Handed Chainaxe Blow!

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/AAA ... Blow/24613

Their site (http://perso.club-internet.fr/thaumas/) used to be filled with long philosophical reasonings behind their songs, but it's long since disappeared, and all I remember from it was that the name was chosen simply to be at the top of alphabetical lists, the rest being a 'random cheesy gore combination'. You can get some idea of what they were going for by reading the lyrics.....I still don't have much idea.

It was impossible even then to find their albums, but they did have one song for download I still have, which is probably the only surviving evidence that they ever even existed:
http://www.mediafire.com/?461ik2vq22d9k5c

There's a fragment of a biography on a MA mirror site, but unfortunately cuts off....seems the only information that hasn't disappeared yet:

"AAAAARGH ! Bloody 2-Handed Chainaxe Blow was formed during summer '99, composed of the following members : bekal ( vocals, guitars ) and thaumas not ( guitars ). Bekal has since departed. He was replaced for the recording of The Musical Body by Fredericksson Vincent Nietzsche ( vocals&bass ). Fredericksson Vincent Nietzsche has no background. That's what is really cool about him. He was recruited because he happened to be the next available dude living accross the street who could produce the raspy vocals. He plays the bass on occasion, may even get off by ramming the neck into his asshole. But he's no homo. Homos aren't tolerated on this band. Bekal started to play the electric guitar near ` toyear minus 1996 ` years and a half ago. He's been acting in a short-lived hardcore band but nothing concrete came out of it. Nowadays he takes private lessons and perspires over old-Megadeth scores. He's mainly into old-school / heavy metal : Iron Maiden, Megadeth, old Metallica including '... and justice for all' ( but not Judas Priest ), though he's not against a Death or a Dimmu Borgir from time to time. He tries to write songs for AAAAARGH ! 's next blessed offering. Thaumas as for him never snapped a string til this famous summer. Now he's reaching out for being crowned as the most prolific stringhunter to have ever scourged the earth. A lazy asshole bound to computer science, psychoanalysis, basketball and creative nihilism. His tastes roll between Death's 'Human', Immortal's 'Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism' and Burzum's 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss' ( non-exhaustive list ). He doesn't care that much and proclaims that if God is, then he's not ( if he could, he'd fuck everybody around, damn' ! ). The project started when thaumas musically adapted the 'I am Dead / The Wrong Master' piece of lyrics. From then on the though processes have remained the same : it's uncompromising heavy music not backed up by a strong sense of conceptualism and symbolism but rather c......"

So yeah, that's probably the weirdest band I (have) know(n).....but then there's always Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh.....

• 3 likes this
Ave
Random avatar

"Shores of Evening - The Shore of Evening" is some really odd and sloppy metal, if you can even call it metal. The weirdest number is the one called "Does It Ever Change" and half of the album is some sugary ballad nonsense. Only good thing about this abortion is this cool cover art.

Male

Ave wrote:The weirdest band I've ever found has to be AAAAARGH! Bloody 2-Handed Chainaxe Blow!
So yeah, that's probably the weirdest band I (have) know(n).....but then there's always Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh.....

I want to hear more AAAAARGH! That is too funny. Imagine they are walking down the street and fans greet them "Argh!", and others think a fight or murder is about to happen.
That is also genius to use for a band name for concerts. If the audience is already yelling, it sounds like "Arrrrrrrrrrhh!!" anyway.

I like Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh, but that guy releases so many recordings, it stops being cult.

Plenty of weird bands can fit into this 'Bad', Inept and Weird Metal category.
I know many that have heard Satan's God don't care about him. Depends which song or part of a song you heard.
A mixture of art rock punk noise and ambient space rock / metal
FORUM MOD!

Topics Solved: 797

In Italy we have lot of weird "metal" bands...some of them have demented and funny italian lyrics that
prevent foreigners from understanding and enjoying them (bands as Acido,Le Trombe di Falloppio,Nanowar
Prophilax,Gli Atroci,Longobardeth,Kurnalcool etc. etc.) ...not to mention crappy bands with bad or weird playing or production,
especially in the 80s and 90's some of them released crazy demos with silly songs,some weird packaging
as for example the grunge band called Minerva (from my hometown,their name,in origin coming from an ancient
roman goddess,in Italy also became the name of a well known brand of matches....) that put the tape in a match box...

Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 86

when I think weird, Albino Slug come to my mind immediatly....
They are hard to describe since they are amazing and at the same time weird, it makes you feel the music sometimes has no sense... (what)
but certainly there is too much potential there... anyway, here it is

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/A ... lug/309466

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjek8RQsAho

• 2 likes this
Fiji (fj) Male
Name: pilufo

Topics Solved: 3

@Ave: thanks for this track, it sound a bit like Lex Talionis (but this bands have not communal member) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzJCPTT2KX0

Some others quite experimental bands:

Atropos

Vale Of Amonition
(Integration desactivated)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipmsxTajN9ov

"not bad but awful production" :

Крематор (Kremator)

Bringer of Steel
France (fr) FemaleFemale 

Topics Solved: 4

Extra Hot Sauce is one of the weirder metal bands I've heard. They came across as a Stormtroopers of Death knockoff (Dan Lilker played drums for EHS and bass for SOD) but with a lower recording budget and crappier equipment.

heavymetalrarities.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20633

My blog: Texas Metal Powerhouse
Bringer of Steel
United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 6

Crucifixia - Cérémonie Pour Un Psychotique (ritual to a psychotic)
Album title is right, no idea what is happening.
Bringer of Steel
France (fr) FemaleFemale 

Possibly the worst release i've ever heard:

(Please don't comment on the youtube video about how bad it is so the dude doesn't delete the video, i like being able to send people this crap band.)

Despite the trashy sound, it's the lyrics that do it for me, they are cringy as well (JESUS LOVES ME), and the delivery in some places is so hard to listen to it may make you laugh (like the vocalist is crying in the most annoying manner possible).
Canada (ca) Male 

Ave wrote:The weirdest band I've ever found has to be AAAAARGH! Bloody 2-Handed Chainaxe Blow!

Just saw they uploaded full discography on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC43ZKYgQrwZDyYzvklGZPuw/playlists

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
France (fr) FemaleFemale 

Kery Doll ‎– 'Til Death Do Us Part...WTF is going on here? & the music is even worse!!!

https://img.discogs.com/Sx8qsOQu1SifF7xy3VjK0lucZMg=/fit-in/600x601/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-3623603-1488894187-9305.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Kery-Doll-Til-D ... se/3623603

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ohmqgyhnn ... .rar/file#!
Thanks to the original uploader
Bringer of Steel
Australia (au) Male
Name: Kenny T

Topics Solved: 29

As far as weirdness goes Heviasurus gets my vote. The concept is kind of cool, kids into metal is a good thing, but the dinosaurs just look really weird and uncomfortable. Their music was kind of bad too, but it was aimed at kids so it was never supposed to be great

The best weirdness is the unintentional kind I think, stuff like Living Death or Carrion. Or this bunch from the Netherlands. I wouldn't call it bad or inept, I actually really like this song, but what the hell is he singing? It's in English but aside from the occasional phrase ("the flying monsters") I can't make out a word (shock)
Netherlands (nl) Male 
Name: Robbert

Thrash Queen - Manslayer (1984)

One of the better known bands in this infamous category. This is an all female "feminist" thrash metal band from Connecticut. The music is, well, barely passable as punk rock let alone heavy metal. I think they were probably trying to shoot for something like early Anthrax. If you know about The Shaggs, well imagine if they started making hard rock or punk rock instead of 60s pop. If there is such a thing as "Outsider Metal", this is the closest approximation. Drum beat that doesn't change through the whole album. Dry and grating vocals. Incompetent guitarist playing one stolen riff per song. Production is pretty terrible also. Sorry if you were looking for another band like Girlschool.
Name: Tomas

Pretty inept but I have a soft spot for this album (listenmu3)
Netherlands (nl) Male 
Name: Robbert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsGRIDIC848
In the "good ideas sometimes but burried in an ocean of cheap" category.
Bringer of Steel
France (fr) FemaleFemale 

GRAVEDANGER
I've heard people call this "outsider metal" as in outsider music but I don't really agree. The singer is a little off key and the way he belts the high notes is a little uncanny, but it's pretty fucking awesome on the whole. Big sideburns is true metal.

• 1 likes this
Name: Tomas

The main ones that come to mind for me are Killer Fox and Wheelz of Steel. Killer Fox was one of the fake bands made for the Metal Enterprises label to follow up the real Killer Foxx. Their album Orgasm of Death is probably the worst Traditional Metal album of all time, but it's hilarious for how terrible it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0I7CnDM_Zo

Wheelz of Steel aren't even really metal, but they were associated with their local metal scene from what I've read. The band consisted of two paraplegic guys in wheelchairs and a drum machine. Their album Volume One is really strange and weird and terrible at the same time.

• 1 likes this
United States (us) Male

Lightning Strike - Snake Island (Official Music Video)

Lightning Strike - Blood On The Rocks

Sweden (se) Male  YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 2557

Strappado wrote:Lightning Strike - Snake Island (Official Music Video)

Please tell me the band members have all been victims of actual lightning strikes. (hehe) That's the only way this makes any sense.

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 150

riptorn wrote:
Strappado wrote:Lightning Strike - Snake Island (Official Music Video)

Please tell me the band members have all been victims of actual lightning strikes. (hehe) That's the only way this makes any sense.

I think we found the real BAD NEWS band !
FORUM MOD!

oh, someone already posted grave danger haha

have this then

Canada (ca) Male 

(jump42) (hahaha666) (hehe) (crylol2) (crylol1)
Vortiene, what the heck was that???

Now, beware...of the Crab !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yWqGR6LQ8s

• 1 likes this

I've been wanting to post this for a long time because this is probably the most ridiculous recording I've ever heard, and it's not even in English. The playing is actually pretty good for a band from your grandma's basement, but the vocals... WTFH. You just need to hear it. I advise you to start right away with the second song, it’s just a fucking diamond, make sure you don’t die laughing.

• 3 likes this
Random avatar
Poland (pl) Male

I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned Killen. Not a TERRIBLE band in terms of musicianship but the really dogshit production of their album, vocal style, and amateur album art fit the bill methinks.

And this is a supposed "Heavy/Power Metal" one-man project from Italy called "Trust Your Heart". It's supposed to be Christian Metal also, but it just sounds like some really weird 2nd Wave Black Metal stuff. He has SO many albums and different projects I haven't even bothered with his discography really.

Also Tabbasa from Japan comes to mind, pretty odd occult/Japanese folklore themed band. This is one of their more "normal" sounding songs but you can still sense it's pretty strange stuff.

• 1 likes this
United States (us) Male

Strappado Today, 01:12
"This content is not available on this country domain."
OldNecromancer Yesterday, 15:21
I can't seen this video, it's NOT available in my country (ITALY)
(pissed)

ok, i re-upped it onto yandex to watch or download
Thanks to SLON for mentioning this band/video

Коррозия Металла - Власть зла (1985) [Весь Альбом]
Corrosion of Metal - The Reign of Evil (1985) [Full Album]
Korroziya Metalla - Vlast' zla (1985) [Ves' Al'bom]
720 p.
https://disk.yandex.com/i/a_uX_Epo1ynakA

• 1 likes this

canadaspaceman wrote:Strappado Today, 01:12
"This content is not available on this country domain."
OldNecromancer Yesterday, 15:21
I can't seen this video, it's NOT available in my country (ITALY)
(pissed)

ok, i re-upped it onto yandex to watch or download
Thanks to SLON for mentioning this band/video

Коррозия Металла - Власть зла (1985) [Весь Альбом]
Corrosion of Metal - The Reign of Evil (1985) [Full Album]
Korroziya Metalla - Vlast' zla (1985) [Ves' Al'bom]
720 p.
https://disk.yandex.com/i/a_uX_Epo1ynakA

Here's a coolstory about how this something came to be:

Says SPIDER: “In November 1985, I decided that the group “Corrosion of Metal” needed to make a demo recording in order to begin popularizing our ensemble among the metal public. And how can an ensemble exist if there is no album or at least a demo. In general, I wanted to see our music from the outside, hear criticism and opinions in order to understand how to move forward. With the help of guitarist Kostyl, I found an underground studio in the recreation center "Sickle and Hammer", where many banned groups recorded. The recording was attended by drummer Morg, vocalist Kisa, bass - Vadik Saks, solo guitar - Kostyl and me on rhythm. In two days we recorded more than six compositions and were somewhat disappointed - they did not sound as powerful as at rehearsals: some kind of weak hard rock. Most of all I was angry with the operator, who pestered us not to turn on the amps loudly, and without this there was no fuss. Naturally, there was no mastering or dynamic processing in this studio. The next day we started recording vocals, but the fact that Kisa had an original appearance did not say anything about his vocal capabilities. He constantly sang past, and each song had to be rewritten a hundred times. Crutch was especially mad, because because of Kisa he had to constantly be on the lookout and replay solos that had been screwed up by vocals. I supported Kisa as much as I could, and with great grief we recorded four songs: “The Devil Is Here,” “Children of the Dragon,” “Lucifer” and “The Power of Evil.” We tried to record the song “Troglodyte,” but Kisa completely crashed, and this thing remained in instrumental form. We devoured the vodka battle and Sax sang Kostylev’s blues “Devil in Flight” from the first take. At the end of the song everyone went crazy, started strumming the piano and yelling all sorts of bullshit. In general, we decided that the album would end with complete fuss, but the sound engineer, in fear that he would be taken to the police, secretly erased this part from us, leaving only two verses. Shitty bastard!!!.."

In fact, they managed to change another vocalist before this, I have no idea whether he sang just as bad or even worse. Then they found Remishevsky (better known for Metalball and Joker, and the bootleg from 87 remained with him), and this was probably the only short period when they did not look like buffoons. Then they found a dude named Hog and started playing something in the spirit of Venom, but that's a different story.

• 1 likes this
Random avatar
Poland (pl) Male

By the way, here's another rather strange thing: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=50776
Perhaps somewhat comparable to the recently posted "Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost."
While some individual tracks are pretty good melodic hard rock/heavy metal (hell, I really like "You Lived As You Could"), others are just some really weird experimental rock, almost noise.
Random avatar
Poland (pl) Male

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to General Metal Discussions