Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Videos - Funny/Weird/Curious metal related videos, care to share?
Name: Edgar

Topics Solved: 0

Found these videos yesterday, sounds pretty cool thought they would fit in this thread!

Sweden (se) Male  YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 2557

LMFAO i loved the emperor one.

Now i think this one is a classic:

• 2 likes this

Geoff Tate stars the "star spangled banner" (usa)

Don't wanna sound like an idiot, but what does the video above have to do with heavy metal? i know many european metalheads like going to those folk and renaissance festivals, but i still don't find the connection, but well that's just me, maybe is metal as hell for everybody else, and thanks for sharing anyway, it's a pretty cool video, i'd like to got to one of those festivals myself one day. And here is a little interesting mini-documentary about the fall in popularity of heavy metal in the late 80's, it has Halford, and it even has DIO bashing the glam scene, if you haven't seen it already, you don't wanna miss this:

It is the heavy melody and flavor of traditional folk/classical music that appeals to some metal heads. Not many metal bands today mix the acoustic and folk elements that bands like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, early Metallica, and others were using at the time.

I would call what we seek "arbitrary dark melody", meaning the melody is open-ended and you never really know where it will land. It can be found in a non-acoustic setting as well, in modern 'doom' metal, which was born from the blues mostly. For example,

Here is an even better example of arbitrary melody.

Carmen Maki 1969:
dead link

Carmen Maki 1982:
dead link

I get you, you're talking about metal without metal. Some people actually thinks (and i kind of agree with them) that classical composers like chopin, wagner, and sibelius were actually making heavy metal, because some of the music shares a same element, a very important part of the music which lies behind all the distortion and the speed, and it actually makes it what it is, i never had a name for this aspect of the music, and i always unintentionally and instinctively use it to differentiate between core-mtv "metal" garbage, and actual heavy metal, since the core garbage always lacks that element, and heavy metal always has it, but i never knew what it was, and it's pretty hard to explain, especially because i'm not an expert in music, but maybe you just did in your message, maybe is that "arbitrary dark melody" that you're talking about, i think this is the perfect example:

Yes! A fine example. Tempo or timing changes also help to keep things open-ended. Iommi is probably one of the best examples of someone who used this element consistently. He had the deep roots in blues, classical, and folk music that are missing in most of what they call modern metal today.

The Iommi/Bulter duo could take the melody and tempo all over the place without ever sounding progressive because they always favored the blues style and pentatonic scale. Iommi used the classical element mostly in solo breaks by imitating horn, violin, and piano lines - for example, the Iommi trill. Album 1, Track 1 is an example.

Did you know Iommi was going to play in Jethro Tull before joining Black Sabbath?

This one is funny as hell, and the song actually kicks ass:

• 1 likes this

Haha love that video!, this one is pretty badass to

• 1 likes this
Sweden (se) Male  YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 2557

LMAO at 1:36, come on man...

I think the funniest part in this is that the music is actually good. I wonder why i can't find them in the metal archives, because they are black metal musically speaking, parody or not. They have nanowar and cannabis corpse in the archives too so... i wonder whats up with these dudes and the encyclopedia.

Edit: ha i'm so careless, i didn't even check the guy's you tube account, is actually just some finn making funny videos about random stuff, not a real band, the music is still not close to bad though, specially the one where they're playing in the snow.

This one is pretty old but still great;

Random avatar
Netherlands (nl) FemaleFemale

• 1 likes this

jimme wrote:

I like that one, weird, but good, very heavy and atmospheric, and the kitty is so cute ^^

Again i don't see what does that malasyan asian folk-rock thing you posted up there has to do with heavy metal, lets keep on topic man.

Lets keep posting stuff in this same spirit, not just random ridiculous stuff, as far as i remember you created your own topic for that.

You wrote, "Again i don't see what does that malasyan asian folk-rock thing you posted up there has to do with heavy metal, lets keep on topic man.

Lets keep posting stuff in this same spirit, not just random ridiculous stuff, as far as i remember you created your own topic for that."

As far as I know, heavy metal is defined by the guitar and not some piano solo. (beer1)

Here is more Alice - http://sonicide.com/

Bill Bailey (from the awesome British comedy show "Black Books") covering Metallica's "Enter Sandman" in a rather interesting way.. :P

• 1 likes this
UGH! I was raised on rock!
Norway (no) Male  YouTube  

jimme wrote:You wrote, "Again i don't see what does that malasyan asian folk-rock thing you posted up there has to do with heavy metal, lets keep on topic man.

Lets keep posting stuff in this same spirit, not just random ridiculous stuff, as far as i remember you created your own topic for that."

As far as I can recall, heavy metal is defined by the guitar and not some piano solo. (beer1)

I can't read your mind on what you think should be posted here, or what you think is metal or not, so I will move on. As a guitar player and musician, I think it would be very interesting to mix the complex rhythms of Asia in a more traditional metal context. You simply do not see what I see.

I didn't like some of your posts either, but also didn't go out of my way to complain about it. No hard feelings, but our tastes are very different. (boobies1)

Here is more Alice - http://sonicide.com/

You don't need to read my mind in order to know what should be posted here, the tittle says it all, curious,funny, weird METAL RELATED videos, not random stuff you think is funny. Maye i don't know much about music, i'm not a musician myself, but i just don't see how is that ridiculous asian band you posted up there metal in any way, takes the back street boys to get less metal than that. Also, it's not that i don't like what you posted (i like some, i don't like others) is that i'm trying to preserve the nature of the thread, that's why i'm telling you to keep on topic, i don't want to see this turned into "Jimme's fun house", do you see the post above this one by bDisgust? he got it right first go, didn't take a psychic huh?

PS: you don't need a guitar to make metal, just listen to apocalyptica, or van canto.

Ehehehhe

• 3 likes this
Australia (au) FemaleFemale
Name: Laura

ROFL, spat my beer out at the solo, i didn't think he was going to pull it.

I love this one, Leo Biollo is a bad ass, his "From the gates of hell to the gates of heaven" is a really good progressive thrash album.

Funny as hell.

Yep.

80s was cheesy, 80s was fun. Sometimes the tone was more serious and sometimes not.
Lets dedicate a topic for the most weird or funniest and cheesy heavy metal music videos. Sometimes cheese is good, music can be golden but video can be plain awkward.

Post them on guys! Not to be taken too seriously. ;D

Rules: post one a weird or funny music video, that has to be of either heavy metal or it's sub-genre (speed, power, nwobhm, black, death, doom, thrash). But no NU-METAL. Preferrably 80s, late 70s, but can also be later than that if rooted to the classic style. Explain why you think it's funny or weird if possible.

Rate the previously posted music from -5 (bad cheese) to +5 (good cheese)
no bitching about others ratings. We all have own opinions so respect them :)

Post title above the linked video. This way, if the video gets deleted from Youtube later on, people can still find that name of the video and search for a new upload if they will.

Discuss. You can also discuss about the previously posted videos if you don't want or don't have a new video to post at the moment yourself!

Grim Reaper - Fear No Evil

The band freeing slaves from the command of Grim Reaper himself. Riding to the evil's chapel with some sort of a metal tank/boat with torches raised high. Defeating monsters with loud guitar tone while the slaves mosh uncontrollably along cheesy lyrics. Hard to beat that. Steve Grimmett wasn't the most handsome frontman around (lol) but he sure had a great voice. Btw a good song!

Note: did you know that Grim Reaper has been touring with Grimmett after 2006 and is listed as "active" (touring) on metal-archives.com?
Name: Tane Norther

good idea for a thread brother!

edit : just read the rules.. 3 for grim reaper

first that came to mind is this one :

Vortex - Open the Gates

no need to say why this is funny i guess , it doesn't get more cult than this
Greece (gr) Male

Topics Solved: 91

I'd rate that Vortex from -5 to +5 as solid: 3
I remember that Vortex video because that vocalist really gives me creeps, but the music is very cool and I like the song itself.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Black Alice - Something In the Air
dead link

While this video leans towards some sort of a rock/metal hybrid and is awfully commercial, I'm gonna put it up. Black Alice did release decent heavy metal album 'Endangered Species' previously to this. Then few years later they came out with ridiculously commercial album 'Song of Steel' (I'm not actually sure if band name was then Sons Of Steel or Black Alice with the record). Sort of a mixture of commercial heavy metal and hard rock or something. This is from 1988. Why do I post it? Cause it's utterly ridiculous music video and it's quite hard to watch, taking in consideration that the song itself also pretty much sucks (in my opinion). Not forgetting the cock-rocket in the end (2:25). One to remember, but perhaps not for so good. (:D)
Name: Tane Norther

-4 for that black alice track cause i have a feeling that it can get just a bit worse than this..

Y Diawled - Noson Y Blaidd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9t9FF2L7Jw

great song and great performance in my book but this crowd is simply unbelievable..there are ballons for f..k's sake!!
Greece (gr) Male

Topics Solved: 91

-5: Sorry, not my kind of cheese.

Merrockury - Merrockitize

One of the bands featured on the Chicago Metal Works Battalion #2, Merrockury had this whole hard rock opera thing based on Roman mythology. The music is awful, but I think this video is fun and cheesy.
Bringer of Steel

Just an amusing 'so bad it's good' old '80's Metal vid.
Cocaine's a helluva drug:

HYTS : Backstabber

Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 150

Paul D'iano sings Charlotte the Harlort drunk!!!!
(beerbang) (beer1)

• 1 likes this
Brazil (br) Male

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to General Metal Discussions