Do you write reviews? share them with the other readers here!
Reviews » [Review] Whiplash Messages In Blood: The Early Years
  • If you are a Fan of Thrash and a fan of Whiplash and don't know about this cd, then this is a must have.
    I want to state that I think the version of "The Burning of Atlanta" found on Ticket to mayhem, is not nearly as good as the version found on this album. Messages in Blood is a collection of demos and live recordings by the band on one cd. This booklet Contains notes from the band about the recordings and History of the band.

First off we have the Thunderstruck demo which contain the songs King with the axe, Spit on your Grave, Thrash Til Death and Chained up Strapped down. My personal favorite song off the Thunderstruck demo is Chained up Strapped down, very awesome track. The demo was recorded at Reel Platinum Studios in Lodi, new jersey. It was orginally released in 1984 and Engineered by Bob Alleca.

Then the 1985 Demo Looking Death In The Face. the tracklisting is The Burning of Atlanta, Stirrin' the Cauldron, Respect The Dead, Last Man Alive and Spit on Your Grave. The Demo was recorded at Sonic Studios in Freeport Long Island Which was Engineered by A1 Falcon. Also I am not making that up that is what it says in the booket "A1 Falcon."

The next recording is "Live at the SHOWPLACE-Dover, NJ 16/8/85." It contains the songs Killing on Monroe Street, Eternal Eyes, Respect The Dead, Stirrin' The Cauldron, The Burning of Atlanta and Nailed to The Cross. The final Recording is titled "Live at CBGB's-NY 27/11/85." Once again it is a live recording, which you probably guessed from the title. The songs are War Monger, Messages In Blood, Nailed to the Cross and Stagedive.

In conclusion, This album just rocks and contains early versions of Classic Whiplash songs. If you are a Whiplash Fan and don't have this album you NEED to get it. You can find it on ebay pretty easily and should be able to get it for around 12 dollars or less. If anyone is interested I could upload the files to Mediafire if you would like to preview it, to see if it's something you think would be worth spending money on. I am a newbie when it comes to file uploading so It might take some time to get the hang of it.

Topics Solved: 0

yeah I bought this from Sentinel Steel for $11 and it was money was spent! Thrash 'till 'deth!
    Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 18

This release is worth getting just for "King with the Axe", by far my all-time fav Whiplash tune. Top notch thrash!
     Male
    Name: Chuck

Its a good release but a think is only for real whiplash fans only
    But once you've been in rolling stone you learn about your friends
    Bulgaria (bg) Male 

Topics Solved: 2

Great release but I am pretty sure there's one demo missing....
    btw I prefer the version of Atlanta is Burning Down from this album...

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar
     Male
    Name: Armando

Marquee Records wrote:Great release but I am pretty sure there's one demo missing....

I think he is talking about the demo before Power and Pain, that was traded and only some record companies got, it had like 3 songs, it is not listed anywhere still probably,
    and the only people that know about, is due the tape traded/bootleg "Unreleased 1985 album", that has songs later used on the first 2 LP's.

• 1 likes this

Topics Solved: 778

canadaspaceman wrote:
    Marquee Records wrote:Great release but I am pretty sure there's one demo missing....

I think he is talking about the demo before Power and Pain, that was traded and only some record companies got, it had like 3 songs, it is not listed anywhere still probably,
    and the only people that know about, is due the tape traded/bootleg "Unreleased 1985 album", that has songs later used on the first 2 LP's.

About 10 years ago Tony Scaglione was sharing some Whiplash stuff on his YouTube channel (unfortunately he deleted everything - maybe even the channel itself) and I vaguely remember him sharing a song or two from what he called "Lost Demo". I confess that I didn't compare it with the songs from the (supposed) Unreleased LP from 1985 (in fact, I still have some doubts about this stuff too, because from what I remember, I didn't find anything different from what appears on the official albums), but I remember that Scaglione himself had said that the quality was bad and he was looking for a better version of it. I remember he commented something similar to what you mentioned, but it seems like it was exclusive recording for record companies, I don't know if it was traded by tape traders or something like that. At the time I imagined it might be similar to the recordings that Bulldozer delivered to Roadrunner in 1984 and which was only released in 2013 (under the name "The Exorcism"), but in the case of Whiplash (unlike Bulldozer), I believe that not even Tony Portaro should have a copy of this demo for a possible release.

Topics Solved: 11

i was thinking of splitting the file into separate songs/tracks, as some of it is different, but yah, it is shitty demo-type quality. I'm too busy watching TV all the time to care.
    Tom's rip was on thrashmageddon in 2008.
    1. Warmonger
    2. Burning of Atlanta
    3. Stirring the Cauldron
    4. Power Thrashing Death
    5. Stage Dive
    6. Respect the Dead (sounds like a slower version to me)
    7. Last Man Alive
    8. Spit on Your Grave
    Gritty/muddy sound, and the bass is more prominent. The tape flanges. Sounds more like a demo, or like a Venom LP.
    Fans of the first two albums will not like it, unless also into hardcore music, or crappy underground underproduced recordings.

• 2 likes this

Topics Solved: 778

canadaspaceman wrote:i was thinking of splitting the file into separate songs/tracks, as some of it is different, but yah, it is shitty demo-type quality. I'm too busy watching TV all the time to care.
    Tom's rip was on thrashmageddon in 2008.
    1. Warmonger
    2. Burning of Atlanta
    3. Stirring the Cauldron
    4. Power Thrashing Death
    5. Stage Dive
    6. Respect the Dead (sounds like a slower version to me)
    7. Last Man Alive
    8. Spit on Your Grave
    Gritty/muddy sound, and the bass is more prominent. The tape flanges. Sounds more like a demo, or like a Venom LP.
    Fans of the first two albums will not like it, unless also into hardcore music, or crappy underground underproduced recordings.

Your notes are very interesting. I had access to this file a few years ago after the publication of the original rip, and at the time when I heard it I thought it was a mistake they had made, (something that happened in the 80s), and it was actually the versions of the albums (or a rough mixes for these) but recorded on dubbed tapes from the 4th or 5th generation onwards, something very similar to this misconception:

My personal note:
    Although some people comment on the link that this demo is real, it is at most a rough mix of the album (it is worth remembering that materials of this nature have already been released in a bootleg called "Live Dead"), but it is still the recording which served as the basis for the official album, not a demo. The issues addressed regarding differences in relation to the official album can be explained by being a rough mix or even distortions in the sounds of the tapes.

Topics Solved: 11

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to Reviews