Heavy Metal Rarities Forum

Username:   Password:   | Register | Forgot Password?

Author
aeternus90

Let's finally update Metal Archives' old-school bands' pages

Bringer of Steel
Fear My Way
Name: Dmitry Khalikov
Topics Solved: 2

As many of you noticed, The Metal Archives (Encyclopaedia Metallum) is the best site to discover metal bands. But we should see that many pages of old-school (70's and 80's) metal bands are outdated and even may contain errors. For example there's many wrong tracklists, low-quality album covers, very outdated additional notes that have no information about re-issues, also possibly there are some demos/EPs/albums that still aren't in the discography section. Not to mention how line-ups and lyrics and credits are missed.

This forum are visited by old-school metal experts, collectors and die-hard fans, and we need you all to update the best site about metal ever created!
You have many original albums - Vinyls, CDs and Tapes - let's take photos, scans of booklets and inserts - and make band pages on Metal Archives much better than it's now.

I'll do it myself on Metal Archives since I've decided to help updating the site and correcting the existing data. And contributors are always welcome - webmasters and moderators of the Metal Archives are always very busy - they are accepting new bands, working on countless reports, moderating the huge forum and simply have no time to update all of 92 000+ bands. Especially the old-school ones.

So, please, if you have something to update and want to make Metal Archives even better - just send me photos/scans of original albums/EPs/demos and I'll update the information. Someting missed/outdated/wrong - we can work it out.

Keep it true! (vking1)
space
vaalkoth
Metal Breaker
Topics Solved: 0

Maybe if that cunt Morrigan wasn't running things more people would help out.
space
nonseinormale65
Bringer of Steel
Metal Breaker
Name: Marco
Topics Solved: 6

I do not like the policy of MA to exclude some bands and genres,for example Hair/Glam Metal of the 80s(not my cup of tea btw...),where are bands like White Lion,Ratt,Cinderella and Vain? Years ago i registered with the same nick to the forum but never posted because of that,as far as i'm concerned do not expect my contribution.
space
Strappado
Administrator
Steel Prophet!!
Name: Emil
Topics Solved: 774

I agree with nonseinormale. I haven't contributed since they removed a lot of NWOBHM and bands that wasn't "heavy" enough.
Bringer of Steel
Fear My Way

Let me explain the things from their attitude from what I learned over the years of browsing (since 2005) and contributing (since 2011). I know that some metalheads hate MA for different reasons and they have the rights to hate the site - but let's see details.

Metal Archives exist to achieve the goal of listing all metal bands from all over the world that have at least one proper metal release - in physical form (CD, LP, tape). To be accepted on MA, the band should be metal and have a proper release - available for purchasing. Since 2013 MA accepting bands with digital releases only - but those releases should be at least 30+ minutes long, available for downloading in good quality, professionally recorded and with cover art. They never accept short-lived projects that didn't release anything at least in one physical form, because if they will, every Myspace band and bedroom projects will flood the entire site.

If the band released only one demo and made only ten copies which can't be purchased - the band wouldn't be accepted.

To add a band to MA, you need to proof the band's existence (photo of a physical release / the site where it can be purchased / review in the zine if the band is very obscure) and the thing called "metalness" - that thing is the staring point of all holywars on MA.

Metal band for MA's crew is a band which no doubt is metal. Predominantly metal. I'll try to explain what it is though even moderators often had debates of what it is. To be metal for MA, the band should have metal riffs in their music, clearly heard and predominantly existed in the songs. Sometimes it's very hard to draw the line where the music is metal and where it's not. Borderline metal bands can be accepted but only if they are more metal than anything. And what MA is trying to do when they are not sure to accept or to reject the band - to draw the line.

Many 70's bands were rejected by the owners of the site - because they have only metal songs in their releases, but their albums were not predominantly metal.

60's bluesy proto-metal bands, like Blue Cheer and Cream; heavy psychedelic/occult/progressive rock like Atomic Rooster, Beggars Opera, Captain Beyond, Night Sun; classic hard rock/proto heavy metal bands, like Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, Mountain, Jerusalem and Steppenwolf; half metal-half hard rock bands from late 70's like Centaurus, Prom and Rhapsody Sweden - they never will be accepted because they are not considered predominantly metal.

Sir Lord Baltimore were accepted because they are heavy as Black Sabbath. Lucifer's Friend were accepted again since 2013 for being a perfect example of early heavy metal. Buffalo from Australia are also considered heavy enough.

With NWOBHM, it's hard to draw the line when the band's music is not predominantly heavy metal. Praying Mantis was brought to the site at least ten times and rejected because they're considered more hard rock than metal. It should be predominantly heavy like Holocaust, Angel Witch, Saxon and Iron Maiden on their debuts, to be accepted.

With all hair/glam "metal" bands of 80's, they considered them more hard/glam rock than metal. Dokken, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister and W.A.S.P. are there because they're heavy metal enough on their debuts (W.A.S.P. is obviously a heavy metal band).

"Metal enough" for MA's owners = having metal riffs in the music and be predominantly metal. Metal riff is the one that Tony Iommi created on the Black Sabbath debut, that Judas Priest "British Steel" is full of, that Iron Maiden opening song "Prowler" on their great NWOBHM debut.

I hope it explain the things. They are not assholes and Morrigan is not a cunt, she is a good girl, believe me. They just have no time to update all that bands and should draw the line between the real heavy metal and other music. With old-school heavy metal, it's always borderline with blues/psychedelic/occult/progressive rock/proto-punk/punk if it's 60's and 70's, and borderline with hard rock all the time. Hard n' Heavy bands are not metal bands for Metal Archives, only if the heavy metal outweigh the hard rock.

If they were Rock Archives, not Metal Archives, that problem even didn't existed. But metal music, in the opinion of Metal Archives' owners, are music that driven by metal riffs, predominantly. Old-school guys obviously didn't draw that line and didn't have that attitude. And they have right to. But Metal Archives, to being the most metal site ever existed, must draw that line. Otherwise, they should accept anything and renaming themselves to Rock Archives.
space
Bloopy
Fear My Way
Name: Paul
Topics Solved: 1

It's good that Metal Archives has their definition of metal and sticks to it. If they started letting in some other related genres, they would find it very hard to draw new lines and decide where to stop. It's nice and contained the way it is now, even though most users will disagree on a few bands here and there.

The NWOBHM bands named Prowler need some help if anyone's able, see this report.
space
aeternus90
Bringer of Steel
Fear My Way

Night Sun from Germany had returned to Archives!

Some old bands were mistakenly deleted by one of the incompetent mod I guess because Lucifer's Friend also were restored!

How d'you think which bands missed on the Archives?
space
Killtava
Stronger Than Evil
Topics Solved: 1

I do hate some MA rules and I do agree with others. These borderlines are annoying most time but they must do it, otherwise they would end up like metalstorm.com

MS feature synth/electro pop bands like Unheilig, Lacrimosa and blutengel. Also there's more dark ambient or 70's hard/progressive rock bands there than actually metal, The staff accept non-metal bands in the case of influentual ones, like AC/DC.

But wait, they don't feature classic punk bands like The Clash or Ramones and they're way too much influential to metal development, from NWOBHM to extreme metal. But, they accept almost every Hardcore punk bands for no reason why...

In the end, I do agree most times with MA.
FORUM MOD!
Axe Crazy
Name: Nico
Topics Solved: 51

To each their own. When I first discovered the MA I subscribed to their forum in order to see how things went. I was so put off by the arrogant reaction of a mod to a question I posted, that I decided to leave them alone.

Luckely I stumbled on Strapps blog & forum. My input there was accepted and treated with respect. Thats why I hang around here, contribute and ask for info.

Don't get me wrong. I embrace the thought behind the MA and I understand there has to be some ruling, but it will never be a complete documentation if they keep on acting as they do.

This said. Feel free to go through my postings and add non listed recordings to the MA if you wish.

Nico
space
chiefy2
Bringer of Steel
Stronger Than Evil
Topics Solved: 8

I am starting to think that Arbitrater (UK) and Arbitrator are actually the same band despite what is said on the metal archives or at least a continuation of the former. There are way too many connections between the two bands and the Varukers. Surely these can't simply be coincidental. But, if this is true then that would mean that there are links between all the following bands = Varukers - Arbitrator - Arbitrater - Metal Messiah.
space