Ideas / Suggestions » A Suggestion for Uploaders
Recently I've seen some posts talking about keeping this forum healthy while Emil is away, and sure, that involves not only everyone stepping up to stay active, but people had also mentioned the crazy copyright crackdown that ravages the web. There's an effective and simple way to reduce this problem, which I don't see nearly as often as I'd like to; which would be to shorten the titles of your .RARs and .ZIPs for example, I upload say, Loudness' Thunder in the East, but rather than titling it as that, I'm going to abbreviate it to LTITE, or LDNSTHNDR, or something along those lines so that it's much harder to uncover, because, if you just name your RARs and ZIPs the actual album names, they will be taken down eventually 100% guaranteed, which is part of our current problem, just look at Jasonkont's uploads for example; probably 75% of his files have been taken down from the various sites he used.

Another tip I would have is using file sharing services that don't expire, for example my site of choice is 4shared. I've uploaded somewhere around 30-ish albums to the forum so far in my time here, and I've never had anything taken down, despite over 3 years of uploading stuff, partly thanks to 4shared not making your files expire, but also from abbreviating it's name.

These are little things we can do to not only protect our files, but also reduce the number of dead links by a huge margin from this point forward.

Some file sharing sites that are very good if you follow the above include:
*Mediafire (Yes, this site used to be way better, but it's still very good if you just encode your album names, I regularly see files over 6 years old that have their names hidden from the copyright detection.)
*4shared (Smooth with a good bit of storage, you might want a fake social media account so there's no access to any info about you.)
*Sendspace (From what I've seen it's fairly reliable)
*Mega.co.nz (Probably the smoothest modern service, I might be switching to it soon, actually.)

Avoid using:
*Rapidshare (They recently went on a purge where they removed everything everyone had ever uploaded, including many things from this forum, and there's no reason why they wouldn't do it again if they felt like it.)
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

So, after the change - no need to hide the track ?
And the next step is to send the link to a moderator so he can check if everything's is correct ? Or we just post the link opening a new Thread with all the information normally required ?

Topics Solved: 18

Metalhuhn wrote:So, after the change - no need to hide the track ?
And the next step is to send the link to a moderator so he can check if everything's is correct ? Or we just post the link opening a new Thread with all the information normally required ?

I was saying basically people not hiding the names of their .RARs are why we have so many links down on the forum, and used Jasonkont as an example of this. It's got nothing to do with the uploading process for this forum, but improving how long our files are available to share with others. (glad)
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:I was saying basically people not hiding the names of their .RARs are why we have so many links down on the forum, and used Jasonkont as an example of this. It's got nothing to do with the uploading process for this forum, but improving how long our files are available to share with others. (glad)

In my experience it's all down to which file hosting service you use whether they decide to delete your files or not, although disguising the title of your upload will probably help the link last a little longer as you said.
As soon as one hosting site becomes more popular than others it seems the powers-that-be target them for copyright infringement to make an example of them.
Filesonic, Megaupload, Rapidshare, & many others were briefly the host of choice, and they're all gone now.
That's why i use a relatively obscure host (1fichier), as i've been stung too many times by using whatever site was most popular at the time.
It's a good idea to have the forum links spread across many different hosting sites in order to avoid all the links here disappearing again if they decide to shut down zippyshare or mediafire or whoever rises to prominence next.
Unfortunately they will go after one or more of these sites soon and a lot of stuff will be lost as a result, but that's just the way it is now.
It's an 'occupational hazard' now, and will continue to be one for the forseeable future sadly.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 96

I stopped using Mediafire a long time ago because they went mad once and deleted EVERYBODY'S files.
(Maybe not the few that had paid accounts?)

It is an excellent idea of disguising the file/folder names, but I am too lazy for now, and using filehosts elsewhere ( in Russia ,New Zealand, etc) where it will be awhile, if ever, those sites get affected by those American capitalist pig-dog destroyers! (just joking)
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 340

If I remember correctly, Mediafire had started working in cooperation with the FBI and got rid of everything that might be copyrighted so that they could save their site from termination, which is why it's nowhere near as good today as it was then, and one of the only ways to keep a file up on Mediafire is by disguising/obscuring what's really in the rar. Great points, especially using obscure hosts from in the middle of nowhere.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

I've just read this the day after opening an account with Mediafire and uploading some stuff with full names on all the folders ...
Can you please tell me if I now rename the folders in situ, will it break the links I've just added to my new posts, or will the links still work ok for everyone here?
I'm new at this and already in a bit over my head.. =)
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 0

Horned Is The Hunter wrote:I've just read this the day after opening an account with Mediafire and uploading some stuff with full names on all the folders ...
Can you please tell me if I now rename the folders in situ, will it break the links I've just added to my new posts, or will the links still work ok for everyone here?
I'm new at this and already in a bit over my head.. =)

I use mediafire from years and they never deleted my links til now ,rename the files anywy is a good idea (at least for bands/albums well known) and for all i know they still work fine ;)

• 1 likes this
Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 70

Thanks a lot for this, I can relax again now! =)
I'll just be a bit more careful on future uploads just to be on the safe side
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 0

« Return to Ideas / Suggestions