Ideas / Suggestions » Could we get rid of the 'Report Dead Link' button?
  • Could we get rid of the 'Report Dead Link' button?
    I'm sick of receiving pm after pm from people reporting dead links from 4 year old posts.
    As we already have the 'reupload requests' section anyway, i don't really see the need for the button to exist.
    Thoughts?
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 96

riptorn wrote:Could we get rid of the 'Report Dead Link' button?
    I'm sick of receiving pm after pm from people reporting dead links from 4 year old posts.
    As we already have the 'reupload requests' section anyway, i don't really see the need for the button to exist.
    Thoughts?

Although I never received a PM via "report dead link", I completely agree.
    FORUM MOD!
    Brazil (br) Male 
    Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

I've had people who don't know what they're doing notify me of broken links that aren't even broken on multiple occasions. I third this idea.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
    Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:

I've had people who don't know what they're doing notify me of broken links that aren't even broken on multiple occasions. I third this idea.

same here, long time due to get rid of that button, as I sometimes get reports for still working links, or from requests I made (request section).

Would appreciate it when Emil returns, for the Report Dead Links button to vanish, along with the ability see download links unless ONLY clicking the proper buttons and not by typing anything.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 341

canadaspaceman wrote: [...] along with the ability see download links unless ONLY clicking the proper buttons and not by typing anything.

I think it would be good if a user could only reply after clicking the "thanks" buttoms.
    FORUM MOD!
    Brazil (br) Male 
    Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

Killtava wrote:
    canadaspaceman wrote: [...] along with the ability see download links unless ONLY clicking the proper buttons and not by typing anything.

I think it would be good if a user could only reply after clicking the "thanks" buttoms.

Yeah exactly. Give a thank you, then you're free to comment. There's plenty of users who do both, a great example is porosimetal who has done it right since day one, and always tries to say something useful, though he types in caps quite a bit haha. I don't have any complaints with him though.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

Completely disagree of getting rid of "Report Dead Link" button.
    This button does a great job and in fact it is the only chance for those who thanked to report that something´s not working.
    There´s only one thing: It simply points into the wrong direction!

It´s not the uploader to receive this pm, but those who downloaded.
    The uploader has done his duty, it´s the others to keep the ball rolling.
    For me this is the main reason in pushing our members to thank.

I got a lot of improvements in mind how to set up a HMR 2.0 & probably the technical background to do so, but as long as Emil is away, there´s nothing we can do…

@Riptorn: You´re right: A reminder for vintage posts is exhausting.
    But with your last posts you´re actually asking for these reports when using temp hosts like 1fichier. (see here)
    FORUM MOD!
    Austria (at) Male

Topics Solved: 927

RunningWild wrote:Completely disagree of getting rid of "Report Dead Link" button.
    This button does a great job and in fact it is the only chance for those who thanked to report that something´s not working.
    There´s only one thing: It simply points into the wrong direction!

It´s not the uploader to receive this pm, but those who downloaded.
    The uploader has done his duty, it´s the others to keep the ball rolling.
    For me this is the main reason in pushing our members to thank.

I got a lot of improvements in mind how to set up a HMR 2.0 & probably the technical background to do so, but as long as Emil is away, there´s nothing we can do…

But with your last posts you´re actually asking for these reports when using temp hosts like 1fichier. (see here)

I agree...,now,just my idea(don't know if it is technically possible),when pushing the "Reportd dead link" button rather than notify a pm to the original uploader instead it should automatically create a "Re up request" in the apposite section or something similar...
    Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 70

nonseinormale65 wrote:my idea(don't know if it is technically possible),when pushing the "Reportd dead link" button rather than notify a pm to the original uploader instead it should automatically create a "Re up request" in the apposite section or something similar...

Sounds good. There is can also be count which will show how many users pressed "Report dead link" button for that upload. Just to know how much that upload are requested for re-uploading.

Killtava wrote:I think it would be good if a user could only reply after clicking the "thanks" buttoms.

I don't think this is good idea. Sometimes I leave reply without downloading for various reasons such as to leave my thoughts about release which I have in my collection already or to pinpoint some mistakes or to add some more info.
    Russia (ru) Male

Topics Solved: 18

nonseinormale65 wrote:
    RunningWild wrote:

I agree...,now,just my idea(don't know if it is technically possible),when pushing the "Reportd dead link" button rather than notify a pm to the original uploader instead it should automatically create a "Re up request" in the apposite section or something similar...

The 'instant re-upload request' button sounds like a good idea if it's possible to implement it.
    A nice bit of lateral thinking and an elegant solution.
    (clap4)
    As for the matter of hosting, i simply use the filehost which works best for me.
    I get good upload speeds with 1fichier, the links stay live for 60 days from the last download and downloads are reasonably quick.
    I don't have to 'verify' with a facebook account in order to access my files, and it's free.
    I've experimented with a variety of hosting sites and for me, this is the best solution.
    I also think it's far better for the forum that links are spread out across a variety of hosters so that we don't lose all the uploads if the powers-that-be decide to shut down or sanction a hosting site, as happened a few years back when we lost most of the links here due to the Megaupload shut down and the Mediafire purge.
    As for that Distrainers link on 4shared you cited, that post has been edited and the 4shared link added at a later date, so it isn't as old as it appears.
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

I love the instant re-request idea. Though the system would also need to be able to run a check to make sure that the topic hasn't been re-requested before, to avoid duplicates whenever users happen to hit the button, or even accidentally hit it more than once.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:I love the instant re-request idea. Though the system would also need to be able to run a check to make sure that the topic hasn't been re-requested before, to avoid duplicates whenever users happen to hit the button, or even accidentally hit it more than once.

You brought up a good point! I strongly believe that this technically possible.

Here is another idea. I don't know if it is already implemented on the forum since I am not a moderator so I don't see it..

But when I was a moderator on a South American Metal forum some years ago, they had a section on the forum that was only visible to administrators, moderators, and some major contributors. That section had sub forums with each on discussing certain aspects of the forum as a whole, like users, ethics, maintenance, changes, etc. Maybe we can do some something like that here, including a subforum about coding and programming the forum to have techno savvy people exchange ideas and testing without the 'preying' eyes of regular users.

• 1 likes this

Gravibus manere. Heli temulentam. Mulierum mammas utamur.
    (Keep it Heavy, be drunk, enjoy boobies)

Personal Motto:

Modus et inordinatio in Metalinium
    (Method and Disorder the Metal way)

My 80's Metal Blog
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male 
    Name: Tony

Topics Solved: 3

Lord Bones wrote:But when I was a moderator on a South American Metal forum some years ago, they had a section on the forum that was only visible to administrators, moderators, and some major contributors. That section had sub forums with each on discussing certain aspects of the forum as a whole, like users, ethics, maintenance, changes, etc. Maybe we can do some something like that here, including a subforum about coding and programming the forum to have techno savvy people exchange ideas and testing without the 'preying' eyes of regular users.

This is something we could really use here. We've kept a couple unapproved threads hidden for rules for us moderators to use as guidelines, but that's all we have. Otherwise we're communicating through PMs about various issues. I hope to see a hidden section for the mods eventually.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

Thanks for replying TadakatsuH0nda :) Pm is ok maybe for immediate alerts, real private, or something, but a separate forum can and will certainly help to exchange information between the admins, Mods, and who keep the forum alive.

Here is another idea, have a moderator assigned to certain aspects of the forum. Like mod Joe Doe is taking care of the subforums NWOBHM and Heavy/Power, while Jane Doe is taking care off another subforum.

• 1 likes this

Gravibus manere. Heli temulentam. Mulierum mammas utamur.
    (Keep it Heavy, be drunk, enjoy boobies)

Personal Motto:

Modus et inordinatio in Metalinium
    (Method and Disorder the Metal way)

My 80's Metal Blog
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male 
    Name: Tony

Topics Solved: 3

Yeah that would be nice too. So far I've tried to do tasks that haven't overlapped with what others are doing, identifying errors, helping people troubleshoot problems (most of those issues are out of my control) and everyone collectively are kinda monitoring people who try to argue with others or doing things they shouldn't be. It's all looking a heck of a lot better around here than it did two months ago, pretty happy to see everyone's work paying off, including plenty of help from the uploaders group too.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:It's all looking a heck of a lot better around here than it did two months ago, pretty happy to see everyone's work paying off, including plenty of help from the uploaders group too.

It's improved a whole lot here since you fellas stepped up and took on modding duties.
    My sincere thanks to all of the new mods for your work in getting the forum back on track, the place feels totally rejuvenated thanks to your efforts.
    Please allow me to toast you all with the virtual beverage of your choice.
    (cheers1) (clap4) (cheers1) (clap4) (cheers1)
    Skol!
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

riptorn wrote:Please allow me to toast you all with the virtual beverage of your choice.
    Skol!

http://i.imgur.com/R0Yph0X.jpg

Saw this just today and think it's fantastic.
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

riptorn wrote:
    TadakatsuH0nda wrote:It's all looking a heck of a lot better around here than it did two months ago, pretty happy to see everyone's work paying off, including plenty of help from the uploaders group too.

It's improved a whole lot here since you fellas stepped up and took on modding duties.
    My sincere thanks to all of the new mods for your work in getting the forum back on track, the place feels totally rejuvenated thanks to your efforts.
    Please allow me to toast you all with the virtual beverage of your choice.
    Skol!

Oh, yes! Thank you for your hard work, mods! Now steel is melting again in the pot)
    Russia (ru) Male

Topics Solved: 18

Members keep clicking to report dead links, but it does not mean they will get a re-upload.
    A few original uploaders like vaalkoth will, but why should they ?

The original uploader may not visit here anymore, and they have no responsibility to re-upload.
    This is why if you want it, create a [NEED RE-UP] topic.
    Many others can re-upload since they grabbed the files.

• 1 likes this
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 341

There is an option to add rules to the PM's: ucp.php?i=pm&mode=options

Filter it like this:
    - If subject
    - Is like
    - Notification about dead links in a post
    - Delete (or any of the other options)

I have added so they automatically are moved to a specific folder called "Dead Links"

https://i.imgur.com/mTKBH6x.png

• 1 likes this
    Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
    Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1467

« Return to Ideas / Suggestions