Ideas / Suggestions » Ideas for the new Forum!
Female Fronted Section

As your website contains a number of F/F Bands and i happen to have a passion for F/F Bands perhaps a section dedicated to all genres of Female Fronted Bands
Random avatar
 Male

Topics Solved: 0

In the top menu you can choose "Female Fronted Metal" under "Genre".

• 1 likes this
Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1472

What about a topic for lyrics?
Spain (es) Male

Topics Solved: 1

Bruce10 wrote:What about a topic for lyrics?

Yeah, I agree with that!! That would be cool....I'm searching for some lyrics I still haven't found for years and some of the lyrics I wrote down from listening to the songs over and over again. But they aren't complete.

• 1 likes this
Germany (de) Male 

Good forum and easy download section! Thanx
Random avatar

(hmm) I'm seeing too much spam posts in some topics/sections of the forum.
I think that would annoy someone, so I think that the two posts requirement it's a bit counterproductive; good to try to make a participatory community, but if the two posts are only like:
-Good!
-Fantastic!
-Thanks!
-Ok!
That it's like they haven't said anything (well,it's ok to know if the other ones liked your post/topic/work but there I think it's a ''cheers'' button ''somewhere'').
So I think that better make a Spam topic or something else.
My idea is from other communnities i've seen (not neccesarily metal-related).Consists in ''giving thanks'' before being able to download something concrete.That ''thanks giving'' consists in something like the cheers button here, but I think there may be at least two buttons like this:
-One thanks button to be able to download the stuff here and
-One button like the cheers or something else(well,still here are somethings which existence i've realized recently that were here a time ago)for a true apreciation of the topic/post.

And I don't know how many time has been it there,but I like that background artwork about some gargoyles. (clap4)

• 2 likes this
Spain (es) Male

Bruce, like you I have been thinking about this recently. I ams till a newbie myself, but it bothers me anyway. So please excuse me if I sound like an old time forum veteran. :)

I know what you mean and I kinda agree. I mean, just look at the guy who posted just before you:
-made 2 posts
-Both in the same thread, right after one another
-The first one is kind of a request for not having to actually make two posts
-Changed his mind, it seems and made another post. Oh wait.... he just copied the text from Boymester's post above - WTF??!?

Still, there are several things we should consider when disussing this in my opinion:

-It is pretty easy to get access to the downloads section, I guess we all agree on that. Any idiot can make two posts within 2 minutes - you don't need to be a rocket scientist. Obviously, not any idiot can make two posts that are not either one/two/three-word-messages (Cool!/You rule!/Metal is great!) that do not really provide/display much insight or interesting facts, let alone any social (as in community) or actual entertainment value. As shown above, some guys do not even bother to come up with a few words of their own. All of this is very obvious when looking at all the posts from members having a post count of 2. No more no less. It gets even more distuirbing when looking at some numbers: This forum has app. 1000 members with 0 posts, but only around 60 with 1 post and around 270 with 2 posts. There are about 150 members with 10 or more posts and 13 with 100+ posts. I think it is a safe guess that most of the zero post guys simply changed their mind or found out they can't access downloads yet and couldn't be arsed to find out what to do about it.

The one post guys may fit into either category, they may have lost interest, didn't enioy the forum the way they thought they would etc etc.... Same goes for the two post guys, but - call me helplessly suspicious about people - I have a hunch that most of them just made those posts, grabbed what they needed and that's it. Let's remember that this is not breaking ANY rule, so we might say they did nothing wrong. They took this place up on an offer (free stuff/DLs) and can hardly be blamed for that. That does of course NOT mean that we should blame Strappado for granting easy access either - hell no! Also, I do not mean to say that anyone with a low post count is a bad member or something like that. Some people are simply more talkative, have more time on their hands or simply more stuff to say.

Still, this place is supposed to be a community and for those of us feeling the same about that, it is simply annoying and disencouraging to see those shitty posts and the obvious take the money and run behaviour. It may not be against the rules, nobody can be forced to talk to anyone on here.

So the questions that come to mind are:
-Should something be done about it?
-What can be done about it?

Personally I am viewing this place as a whole, not just as a download source. You know, a give and take thing and also I simply enjoy talking to like minded people, discuss music and stuff. So, one conclusion one might draw is that people who do not want to become an active part of the community shouldn't be able to grab stuff.

I am not sure if this is a solution to the problem though. As always, there are (at least) two sides to this story: First of all, not anyone thinks and feels the same. What seems outageous to one may be perfectly okay to his neighbor. So what some of us describe as "leeching" is fully within the rules of this place, making it hard to blame people for playing by the book.

Let's look at cause and (possible/likely) effect of possible measures:

-Raising the post limit: Would probably work to some extent, because the guys moaning about having to make two posts in order to get free rarities might not want to make 10/20/50/100 posts. Some will though!!! I used to be a member of a - now defunct - forum that required 100 posts in order to "enter the secret shrine". Believe it or not, some guys actually made 100 posts on one day!!! I guess I don't need to explain how thoughful, well researched and individualistic those posts turned out to be....
Bottom line: Might/will keep some "leechers" away, but will also result in a flood of useless one word spam posts.

-Banning members making useless posts ONLY: There is indeed one breach of the rules that could be punished: those whose few posts are simply worthless "Cool!", "Thanks", "Hail!" bla (I refuse to say bla bla in this case!). Some clever individuals would probably just register once again, make two half hearted posts that at least pretend to be more than just "Hi!" and are all happy rule abiding members. Some will probably be massively pissed off, send hate mail to Strappado and bad mouth this "f**king elitist place" all over the web, BUT they would probably stay away.
A problem I see is that it is hard to say, when this should be done. If you do it too soon, people will say: hey, I was just about to make more posts (and that may even be true!), if you wait too long, they will have grabbed what they came for and couldn't care less about getting banned.
Bottom line: Except for the hate mail thing, the side effects are bearable (in my opinion). Why should I care what someone I consider to be of no value to this place says about it? The time thing makes it a bit hard to actually make this work properly. Needs more Needs more thought I think.

-Requiring a certain number of uploads: This would not make this place open to people who just wanna talk and get some info. There are quite a few of those on here, some with 100+ posts. This is not a file sharing forum, but also a place for discussions and stuff, let's not forget this!
On the other hand, anyone probably has some stuff that is not on here yet. Those may not be familiar with ripping, uploading etc etc, so it would be quite a burden for some less techy or simply very busy folks or those with a slooow connection to the www.
Bottom line: Would be like biting my own hand. This will work, but only for places that are primarily about sharing stuff

-Checking each new members posts/activities before granting access to the downloads: A shitload of work for Strappado. That's the first thing to consider. Granted, he could name some mods and let them handle this, but no matter who does the job, everyone is different and so everyone will have a different opinion about what makes a post more worthy of our attention than any other or any member worthy of downloading while others are not. This might result in a lot of "how come he is on here and I can't get in?" reactions,i.e. more work.
An alternative I can think of is something I have seen on other forums a few times: users need to register and at the same time apply for membership by explaining what they are planning to do on the forum and stuff like that. Anyone too damn lazy to come up with 6 sentences explaining why he wants to be on a metal forum will probably not be a great benefit to the community either and may - as far as I'm concerned - stay away. If you just wanna download - okay! If you wanna download and are too lazy to spend 5 minutes of your times saying so to get access, you should open your window, lay back and wait for the files to fly into your room and miraculously start to play all by themselves!
Then again, it will also be more work and probably some pissed off rejects, but less spam and less no good members. Anyone making the effort to go through this process (unless the application reads "hey cool furom can i getin?") is fine to get in as far as I am concerned, so there would probably not be too many rejects. Also, it could more easily be done by different people, because less judgment is required.
A possible annoyance would be people asking how much longer it is gonna take. That could be solved by dumping any application by someone who asks about it with 24 or 48 hrs or more than once a day.
Bottom line: So far, the best thing that could be done (the application, mind you!!!! not evaluating the posts).

-Introducing mandatorý thanks posts or some reputation system: The former would generate spam, the latter might be a nice addition for some people. Some forums have those reputation/thanks buttons you can click that will increase the "points" this user has, i.e. his rank (whatever the system is) or gain him some shiny extra symbols next to his avatar. Clicking on those could be made mandatory in order to view the link.
Bottom line: Would prevent spam and it may be nice for some people to see their reputation/rank grow/improve. I am not sure how much effort it would be to make it work though. Also, I may be overestimating the potential interest in such a thingy.

-Making all downloads accessible through the blog: It would make sure that people who do not wanna talk, won't register, because all they'd do it for is the community.
It would not make any uploader very happy though and make it much harder to prevent people from re-posting the stuff elsewhere.
Bottom line: Would only work if the world was a better place, especially its people..... So let's discuss this over a biiig fatty and dream on.....

Some basic questions that need to be answered before the necessity for any measure can be evaluated at all are:
-How much do we want this place to grow and should it grow at any cost?
-Should this place be user-friendly or just active-community-friendly?
-How important is it for uploaders to see some appreciation, i.e. thanks, reputation etc?
-Is solving this worth the effort it would require?
-How important is what people say about this place elsewhere?

Sorry this turned out so lengthy, but I tend to ramble on and on sometimes - as you may have noticed....

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
 Male

Yes I am aware that this 2 post limit doesn't really work so good.
I have read your suggestions and I like the one with warning/banning members who only spam useless posts.
We have a rules here against it already but no one seem to read or follow them at all.
Getting harder on this matter may help to prevent these kind of posts.

Raising the post limit are also a good idea, yes it could expand into even more useless posts..
but setting a hard rule on "not spamming useless post" could also prevent that.

I would like to have opinions / ideas from more poeple on this matter.

In the meantime I will think through your suggestions and try to make something out of it.

• 1 likes this

Guess we also need some mods in here to control these future rules.
If anyone feels like they are able to handle a MOD position in the forum PM me.

Alcohollelujah maybe? :)

The thing I like about this place is that it is open en pretty friendly. In some way it has taken away the barrier for me to enter the community, share, downlaod and learn about other 'ancient' bands. The "Thank You" posts don't bother me at all. In fact I see it as a form on nettiquette.

I think that the active link between the blog and the forum contributes to the perceived problem. If download links are available there than many of the members would have not turned up on the forum. Don't know why was opted for the " get it at the forum" option in the blog. Maybe here lies part of the solution.

I have no problems with sharing my uploads all over the net. It's not my property and I think it is great that other can enjoy the stuff as well.

I have great respect for what Stapps is doing. I know from long ago that running a registery, blog, website is a load of work. Getting more forum rules and then enforcing them is not the way to go for me. Kills the openness and leaves the Owner with a shitload of work.

Nico

• 1 likes this
FORUM MOD!
Name: Nico

Topics Solved: 54

Thanks for your opinion Nico.
The forum was started becouse of much fights between rippers/uploaders and "leechers".
At the blog the downloads was totally public and many took advantage of this and posted it to their own blogs/sites without mentioning the original uploader at all, shortly speaking, they took all credits themself.

This upset some people and many contributors left. That's why the forum was created, to keep the links more private and get a chance to warn those who share it on their own sites without asking the original uploader first. That's also why there is an option in the settings to choose how you want your rips to be handled on the net. There is also an option in the UPLOAD FORM where the uploader can choose if the "Download Link" will be visible on the blog or just linked to the forum.

The blog also works like a kind of archive for unknown releases/demos and bands.. that's why I use to post the material over there to. Ofcourse it can be a problem with a link to a forum where you need to register but I don't think it's so much struggle if you really want to hear a specific demo or album.

About the rules..
The most important thing right now is try to prevent spam and double posts, I am looking for opinions from more people on Alcohollelujah's ideas.

Making all downloads accessible through the blog:
No (what strap said is the best way to put it)

Introducing mandatorý thanks posts or some reputation system:
No, This will just turn into a big shit fest (like the other forums that I've seen use it)

Checking each new members posts/activities before granting access to the downloads:
There is a forum I go to that does this. It works great to keep out the crap (small amount of new members though).
So if it comes to this just appoint some good mods to lessen the work load

Requiring a certain number of uploads:
No as it would limit the amount of users a lot. Just too much work too put on the typical user.

Banning members making useless posts ONLY:
I agree in a way. yes spam accounts should be banned.
My change
I see that after a time if you made 1 or no posts you should have an email sent to you saying that your account will be deleted if you don't become more active. But if they don't get to the post limit even if they made another post their account will be deleted. Also see below

Raising the post limit:
I see this as pointless since no matter what the limit is you will still have a ton of members that get to the cap and stop posting. the best way I see to fix this is to have the people who sit at the post limit for a long time have to do the post limit again.

I think that you need a better chat box ether on the blog or the forum. Where Posting is only allowed if you are logged in to your forum account. As the one you have now is just filled with a lot of spam and non forum members posting requests (its getting annoying).
FORUM MOD!
R.I.P. 1996 - 2016
United States (us) MaleYouTube  

Topics Solved: 3

It woul be great if u can make a new categori with only Heavy Metal from 80´s
:D
 Male
Name: Mauro COL DOOMED

No
Now I'm going to listen to The Unholy and Estranged. bye

but you can search the blog by year.
FORUM MOD!
R.I.P. 1996 - 2016
United States (us) MaleYouTube  

Topics Solved: 3

Hello!
First, sorry if I make many mistakes writing in English (I know that can be annoying for some people, it annoys me when it comes to Spanish, as I'm from Argentina!), I'm not used to write this long!
So...
I'm new in this forum, I wasn't even aware of its existance till yesterday when I entered the blog searching for the original audio of Morgana Lefay's Symphony Of The Damned; but I've know the blog for a long time :)
So, just like the rest of the guys that posted before me, I find pretty annoying the one-word posts, even if they are thank posts.
I was reading what they wrote before me an this is what I think:
-Raising the post limit: It may tourn into a nightmare of spam post as all you had said! Totally useless if the thing we are trying to do here is prevent spam!

-Banning members making useless posts ONLY: Agreed! And I also like Malinku's idea of send an e-mail to the user that is lazy to post after the second post. Well, yes, by that time they might have taken what they were looking for, but they won't be able to keep downloading unles they registered again.

-Requiring a certain number of uploads: Well, this I'm talking to it's only my case... Honestly I don't have the "resourses" to find very interesting things, ripped them and upload them, so if by any chance this will happen, I'm out! I mean, I have some stuff, but is common stuff, not hard to find, so I don't see the point in post them if you can find them anywhere arround the web.

-Checking each new members posts/activities before granting access to the downloads: Tons of work for poor Strappado! It would help to have some mods, yes.
And I think is related in some way to Introducing mandatorý thanks posts or some reputation system, eh? Here in Argentina there's a web called "Taringa!", everyone can register and post things (music, movies, info, whatever!), but only members with more than a certain amount of point can comment; and there's an option by which only registered members can see certain posts.
It's not SUCH a bad system and members can give points to each other to improve their reputation and by that get to make some posts aswell.

-Making all downloads accessible through the blog: Well, if the main problem are the credits as many people took things and never said where that came from, then downloads shouldn't be available through the blog...

-How much do we want this place to grow and should it grow at any cost?
I'm new, I haven't see all this forum so far, but I'm here to contribute in any possible way, so I want it to grow!
-Should this place be user-friendly or just active-community-friendly?
It should be active-community-friendly!
-How important is it for uploaders to see some appreciation, i.e. thanks, reputation etc?
Personaly, I don't care! But it's true it could hurt someone feeling if noone like their posts!
-Is solving this worth the effort it would require?
Mmmm... Honeslty? Not sure...
-How important is what people say about this place elsewhere?
There will always be people talking shit about any place! If they don't like it, they are free to go!

Well, nothing more, hope to hear more ideas or at least some opinions about what is already written.
I'm here to enjoy!

:D
killing is our way of keeping alive

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cRu7JHjuWJs/TDjp8cRrInI/AAAAAAAAIGg/kIyZwi76NFc/s400/105_logo.gif
 FemaleFemale

To me it would be great if in every section there were other subcategories, so the user can choose more precisely what he wants to download and listen to. For example: in Hard Rock I'd put the subcategories "Melodic Hard Rock", "Classic Rock", "Hi-Tech AOR", "Westcoast AOR" and so on, or in the Thrash section I'd put "Technical Thrash Metal", "Speed Metal" and so on for all the other sections... Maybe it would be difficult, but very useful too!
Random avatar
 Male

A small error (hehe1) ; in the blog, the genre and the country selection for searchs get underneath the shouthbox making it difficult to read or select an option.

Edit: Looks like it were due to internet explorer, firefox doesn't have that issue.
Spain (es) Male

que lindo foro , y repitiendo las felicitaciones por un gran foro y larga vida al heavy metal de los 80s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Random avatar
 Male
Name: ronald121270

Haber si alguien tiene alguna informacion sobre las bandas llamadas HARLOTT , STROMBRINGER Y SATO de canada, pues le agradecere mucho pues son bandas super raras de los 80s.

• 1 likes this
Random avatar
 Male
Name: ronald121270

Hey Strappado, maybe this is too difficult a suggestion, or maybe it exists already, but is it possible to make a search function for the forum? Just a box where you can type in a search term like "gotham city", and it comes up with a list of all the threads that contain that term, either as part of the title, or within all the content. It would make it easier to find information relevent to whatever it is you're looking for, without having to scroll through everything, and maybe stop people double-posting the same topic? I'm gonna feel so stupid if everyone else already knows how to do this :/
Australia (au) FemaleFemale
Name: Laura

« Return to Ideas / Suggestions