Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Proto Metal & Early 60s/70s Metal

Name: Tomas

Topics Solved: 0

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dVFwyt1DtGI/U-AsnE1aLbI/AAAAAAAABD0/C4Ni_YL8iqE/s1600/cover.jpg

GRUPA SOS
Formed
1972, Serbia

Disbanded

Members
Miroslav Aleksić Miša (bass, vocals), Dragan Štulović Štuks (guitar, 1972-77), Aleksandar Tasić Tasa (guitar, 1972), Stevan Stevanović Stiv (drums, 1972-77), Rajko Kojić (guitar, 1977), Vicko Milatović (drums, 1977)

Tražim / Magnovenje (single)
FLAC

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jqng0 ... 0Rock-.rar

ROCK ON
Brazil (br) Male

Topics Solved: 1

Glad to see this topic still live and clicking. :D

Nice to see some Sir Lord Baltimore love. They are the fathers of epic metal!
(An epic metal song released years before Manilla Road, etc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62zNXXkruE

And Wicked Lady is awesome. Check out their song, "I'm a Freak". One of my favs.

It's sad to see some of the youtube vids removed. :(

metalfink wrote:And for those who're thinking, "Hey, these are all from the 70s! Nothing new about that! Where are all those 60s metal stuff? And not the non-metal but influential stuff like that of Jimi Hendrix, Cream, etc. Real 60s metal! Show me at least even one genuine metal song from the 60s. And don't give me the often cited, so-called first metal song, 'In-a-gadda-da-vida'. That ain't metal. That may be proto-metal. And there's no such thing as the first metal song, band or album. And we all know Led Zeppelin, their debut was heavy, yeah, but we're talking 'bout something unheard of, right?"

Well, here's a 60s heavy metal (in a sort of doomy proto-speed fashion) song that sounds like Motorhead years before the band even existed. So it's better to say that Motorhead sounds like Sound of Imker, right?
http://youtu.be/A0P1tMztQME

Haha, great topic. I really enjoy pinning down the genres I like to a first band or album, but I know it's just opinion, and anybody else can categorise a genre in whatever way suits them. In my view, it's elements like downtuned, distorted, progressive, radio-unfriendly songs and some selection of gloominess, occult imagery, epic riffs or shredding solos that all had to be combined to form metal as a genre with its own scene. That Sound of Imker song is great, it's heavy and it rocks, but it's not saying to me "this is too different, time for a new category".

That Bloodrock track from riptorn is awesome, I'd only heard a track from their debut.

Anyway, here's some of my favourite heavy tracks from the 60s:

High Tide - Death Warmed Up

Blue Cheer - Doctor Please

The Music Convention - Belly Board Beat

Stone Garden - Oceans Inside Me
New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 5

Bloopy,
The Music Convention - Belly Board Beat song you posted is a good example of why 1960s/70s drummers were better and more interesting.
This is something I read recently elsewhere, not my original thought, but I agree with.
The old school drummers had a jazz background / feel, and did not grow up strictly on rock.
Imagine if Bill Ward (Black Sabbath) only kept a steady boring beat in every song like he was playing in the Beach Boys or something?

Topics Solved: 794

Bloopy, I understand what you're saying. I, myself, started listening to oldschool stuff because I was interested in origins.

I have uploaded High Tide's first album. Here's the post:
viewtopic.php?f=215&t=10707

@Canadaspaceman; Yeah, old drummers rock. Most metal drummers these days rely too much on bass drums. Their hands play only basic shit, with only their feet going through complex beats. Old school drummers had huge drumsets and they utilized every fucking piece of it well. (I'm no musician, so I don't know the technical terms, hope you understand what I'm trying to say :P )

Here's a powerful song from '72

Ganafoul (FRA) 1977

• 1 likes this

Topics Solved: 2

Here's another terrific Bloodrock track that i've been playing a lot recently.
'Time Piece' from their debut self-titled album.
Interesting to note the lyrical theme which is very similar to that explored by Iron Maiden on 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' 12 years later.

Like a lot of bands of that era, Bloodrock had a real grasp of light and shade and they use that dynamic effectively on a lot of their stuff.
This song's another good example of that trait, they were a very clever & talented band that should have been far bigger.

As he just passed away recently, as a tribute, here's another brilliant song, featuring the late great Dick Wagner (The Frost, Alice Cooper).
This is his early 70's band Ursa Major, and this is the best track from their lone self-titled 1972 album, the epic 'Sinner'.
Amazing melodies and riffs, and i love the way the different passages of the song seamlessly flow into one another.
It's a real journey, and heavy as all hell for 1972 as well.

R.I.P. Dick

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 149

Maybe Bang, Freeway, Atomic Rooster, BOC, Y&T (formed in '72) and real early Accept (late 60s).
Maximum Metal Magazine
news@maximummetal.com
United States (us) Male 

Whoa, that Ursa Major track has one good doomy opening.

Here's a psych song from '68. Not heavy in the sense of heavy guitars and stuff, but it sounds very doomy. Good doomy intro plus an epic ending with bombastic drumming. Surely a prototype for doom metal.

Here's also something weird I have noticed. One of the most influential works of classical music to metal are Gustav Holst's Mars: Bringer of War and Maurice Ravel's Bolero. Perhaps the earliest rocker to bridge Ravel's Bolero with rock is Jeff Beck with Beck's Bolero in 1968. Surely, this is one of the most influential tracks to metal.

One of the most evil sounding intros ever is Diamond Head's Am I Evil. It's a metal version of Mars: Bringer of War with perhaps a bit of Bolero added to the rhythm section. Now this is the weird thing I have noticed. This metal Mars plus Bolero's rhythm was previously done by two bands in 1969.

One of them was posted above by TommyBolin
TommyBolin wrote:

hear this guitar solo in the second one (1969)

amazing

And here's the other one.

EDIT: It's quite clear that Diamond Head was influenced more by one of these tracks more than Holst's original. I think it was Writing on the Wall's track judging by the similarities with Diamond Head's Am I Evil. Listen to Shadow of Man at 0:38!

Tony Iommi readily admits to being 'influenced' by Holst's 'Mars : Bringer Of War' in the writing of the song 'Black Sabbath' too.
I don't know what the terminology means precisely, but it's gloomy atmosphere is apparently down to something called the 'tritone' or 'devil's interval', a musical progression which was actually banned by the Catholic Church as it was believed to invoke or celebrate Beelzeebub himself.
They called it 'Diablos In Musica', which Slayer later cribbed for an album title of course.
It's something which is used a lot in Heavy music, and is found often in classical music too.
It provides dramatic and atmospheric qualities and possibilities, which both genres of course share a fondness and need for.
As you rightly say a lot of the bands in the early Heavy & Progessive era appropriated bits and pieces of classical music for their own songs, b there were also others who supplemented their original tunes by recording beefed up interpretations of classical pieces in their entirities (more or less).
Here are some good examples:
LOVE SCULPTURE - Sabre Dance (1970) UK
ANACRONISM - Peer Gynt (1973) France
BIG BROTHER AND THE HOLDING COMPANY - Hall Of The Mountain King (1967) USA
SRC - Hall Of The Mountain King/Bolero (1969) USA
AUNT MARY - Hall Of The Mountain King (1972) Norway
LE ORME - Blue Rondo A La Turk (1970) Italy
ERUPTION - Rondo (1971) Switzerland
THE DOORS - Albinoni's Adagio In G Minor (as 'A Feast Of Friends') (1978) USA
All recorded long before those bastard shred guitarists set about attempting to ruin these pieces forever.

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

And then there's the intro of Slayer's Raining Blood, which was inspired by Edvard Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King. While the main riff of Sabbath's Black Sabbath uses the devil's tri-tone, the ending seems to be inspired by Ravel's or perhaps Beck's Bolero.

EDIT: And thanks, riptorn, am going through those now. Listening to Love Sculpture on youtube now. This is good shit. Way better than modern neoclassical shit.

metalfink wrote:Perhaps the earliest rocker to bridge Ravel's Bolero with rock is Jeff Beck with Beck's Bolero in 1968.

I may have come upon a previous one:
Link Wray & His Ray Men - Rumble (1958)

The song also has some story: Rumble Wikipedia
---
And some more music I've come upon while surfing around that may or may not fit
the topic and that I haven't seen in the previous posts:
---
Slowbone - The Last Goodbye (1972-1974)

Another influence on Iron Maiden if I remember well. Another song with similar twin guitars: Get What Your Given.
---
Dirty Tricks - Back Off Evil (1975)

Black Sabbath sound worship (although with powerful voice); the rest of the record seems to follow a similar pattern (It's sound is too carefull; it may get a little repetitive).
---
Stark Naked - All Them Witches (1971)

Has some expressive piano parts around the album (like the intro to Look Again), some electric guitar bashing (Sins), and as on the first song, some In A Gadda Da Vida moments, although with slightly "modernized" guitars. Maybe some won't stand the voices.
---
Yesterday's Children - Paranoia (1969)

Garage Psychedelic Heavy/Hard rock (or something like that). Hendrix-esque soloing everywhere. Heavy electric guitar sound, although with garage rock's warm echoes. Full Album:Yesterday's Children
---
Jericho - Ethiopia (1972)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XC94kvHdUY
Israel band that moved to UK. Slightly jazzy (or maybe influenced by some israel folk music, I don't know) progressive rock with hard rock/ Heavy rock moments (note seconds 1:21, 2:17) and some cool strange solos. Another song with hard moments: Kill Me With Your Love.
---
Night Sun - Got A Bone Of My Own (1972)

Haven't heard much so far, but seems to have nice riffs aplenty. Full album: Mournin'
---
And here I've made a list of every band name cited so far on this topic in case somebody knows some bands but doesn't feel like reading every post to check if it's already been cited or not. The ones with asterisks are the ones I weren't sure if to include or not, wether it be because they were cited as some non related example, the band's video was deleted without the name typed in the post but was later refered to afterwards and thus I don't know even if they do exist, or I've posted them myself but I don't know if they're what the topic's creator is searching for.

#
18 Karat Gold
A
Aardvark
Accept
Alexander Lucas
Anacronism*
Andromeda
Armada
Armageddon
Astaroth
Atomic Rooster
Attila
Aunt Mary*
Axas
B
Bang
Baroques, the
Bedemon
Benders, the*
Big Brother and the Holding Company*
Bike
Bitter Creek
Bo Diddley*
Blast
Bloodrock
Blue Cheer
Blue Öyster Cult
Blues Creation
Budgie
Buffalo
C
C.T. Pilferhogg
Cactus
Captain Beyond
Century's, the
Chantays, the*
Clear Light
Coven
Crank
Cuby + Blizzards
Curtis Knight & the Squires*
D
Davie Allan & the Arrows*
Del-Vetts, the*
Demian
Devil's Own, the
Dick Dale / Dick Dale and his Del-Tones*
Dirty Tricks
Doors, the*
Duanne Eddy*
Dust
E
Eruption*
Ex Ovo
F
Fender IV, the
Finch
Flower Travellin' Band
Freeway
G
Ganafoul
Gold
Granicus
Grupa Sos
Gustav Holst*
H
Head Over Heels
High Tide
Highway Robbery
Humble Pie*
Hustler
I
Icecross
Iron Claw
Iron Maiden
J
Jacula
Jeff Beck
Jericho
Jeronimo
Jerusalem
Johnny "Guitar" Watson*
Judas Priest
K
Kinks, the*
L
Link Wray & his Ray Men*
Little Free Rock
Love Sculpture
Lucifer's Friend
M
Maurice Ravel*
Medusa
N
Nazareth
Neil Merryweather
Night Sun
O
Orang-Utan
Orme, le*
Other Half, the*
P
P205
Phantom's Divine Comedy
Pinnacle
Power of Zeus
Pretty Things, the*
Pussy
Q
R
Randy Holden
Rare Bird
Rats
Reasons Why, the
Renaissance*
Rog & Pip
S
Salem Mass
Scorpion
Sensational Alex Harvey Band, the*
Sir Lord Baltimore
Slowbone*
Sonics, the*
Sound of Imker
Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant*
Spooky Tooth*
SRC*
Stark Naked
Steel Mill
Stereo Shoestrings, the
Stone Garden
Strawberry Path
Stray
Supernaut
T
Tear Gas
Tractor
Truth and Janey
U
Ursa Major
V
Vanila Fudge
Variations, les
W
Warpig
White Lightning
Wicked Lady
Wishbone Ash*
Writing on the Wall
X
Y
Y&T
Yardbirds, the*
Yesterday's Children
Z
Zane
Zendik

• 2 likes this
Spain (es) Male

Some good suggestions there Bruce, particularly Yesterday's Children, Jericho, Dirty Tricks & Night Sun, all long-time favourites of mine.
Here are a few other bands (broadly) of the same era/style who are well worth investigating but haven't been mentioned so far;

HEAD OVER HEELS - Circle (1971) USA

POWER OF ZEUS - The Sorceror Of Isis (1970) USA

EX OVO - Crazy Nature (1971) Germany

ORANG UTAN - I Can See Inside Your Head (1971) UK

ARMAGEDDON - Better By You, Better Than Me (1970) Germany

ARMAGEDDON - Buzzard (1975) UK/USA

NEIL MERRYWEATHER - Kryptonite (1975) Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQigGkTnmcc

C.T. PILFERHOGG - You Haul/Tight Mama (197?) USA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvpuBm-REXI

FINCH - Valley Of Fears (1976) Australia

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Thanks for the recommendations, Bruce10. Just when I thought I had all Iron Maiden influences covered, you show me an influential band I've never heard about before, Slowbone.
By far, Iron Maiden's biggest influence (specially since of Fear of the Dark) is Wishbone Ash. Their powerful harmonic melodies which have influenced a whole genre, melodeath, has clear influences of Ash. With the two guitars (and now three) playing a melody harmoniously while the bass gallops away in the background, even many of their well known melodies and motifs are similar to Ash's melodies. Steve Harris, himself, did recommend Ash's album, Argus, saying that it was their biggest influence.

Does the guitar melody and bass seem familiar? One could easily pass this off as a Maiden song with some other vocalist. The intro can fool a lot of Maiden fans. :P

Aside from Link Wray, Dirty Tricks and Night Sun (Night Sun: One of my favourite bands, they are like a mix of the UK big three of early metal/proto-metal; the powerful bluesy vocals of Led Zep, organs of Purple and the heavy riffs of Sabbath.. and they are not a clone, they are their own thing. Listen to their Nightmare for a unique Heavy Metal psychobilly mix, back when psychobilly didn't even exist), these are new stuff for me.

I don't think Link Wray's Rumble has the same classical/epic feel of Beck's Bolero, which is also seen in Black Sabbath's outro. Nevertheless, it's an awesome classic, an important early heavy song. Be sure to check out his Ace of Spades, too.

Dirty Tricks is more than a Sabbath clone, it's not just the powerful voice, there's keyboards too in other songs. I first heard their "Armageddon (Song for a rainbow)", which was recommended by Fenriz (of Darkthrone) on his blog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA4RAfqZk1U This song reminded me of Vanilla Fudge for some reason.. Vanilla Fudge + the heavy riffs of Sabbath.. well more than that.. Dirty Tricks' riffs sound a bit different.. and in a good way.
http://thebandoftheweek.blogspot.com/

Carmine Appice (older brother of Vinny Appice) on the drums. He kicks major ass in this one! Warning: The vocal parts of the song may put off the 'uninitiated' (as Riptorn put it :P ), the metalheads who are new to these early legends.

And riptorn, thanks again for more new recommendations, aside from the UK Armageddon, these are all new to me. Well, I have heard Orang-utan before, years ago, but didn't pay much attention to them then. Since then, my musical taste has expanded, so maybe it's time for a second listen.

The UK Armageddon was truly ahead of their time. This phrase, "ahead of their time" has been overused when reviewing old music. Often used for old heavy bands. But is it really appropriate to use that phrase for a heavy band from the 70s when there were numerous other heavy bands too.. in their time? :P If any band truly deserved that phrase, it was Armageddon. Just listen to Buzzard. You are immediately transported to a post-apocalyptic cyber-punk.. or maybe cyber-metal ;) future! Hell, I am tired of all these dub-step/techno/electronica-whatchamacallit music in modern sci-fi movies/games. They need to use songs like Buzzard, Fatal Violence's Ashes Tell No Tales, Liege Lord's Master Control and even Helloween's Twilight of the Gods! New bands trying to sound futuristic should stop with the horrible industrial influences and listen to these songs and create a new genre: cyber metal. If there can be viking metal, I don't see why this can't be done. :D

I first listened to this band while I was checking out the works of members of the Yardbirds, one of the most important bands to heavy music with Beck's then unmatched guitar style (he pioneered a sustain-heavy style then). And of course, there was the drummer, Jim McCarty, who even played a proto-speed metal beat (a prototype for the metal beat known in punk circles as the d-beat).
I recommend the Yardbird's cover of the Bo Diddley classic, "I'm a Man" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAdCePtwoW4 (at about 1:28, it goes into an almost proto-speed metal frenzy) and "Psycho Daisies" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20tskwOb_AE .

Ex-members of the band went on to found influential bands, with the Jeff Beck Group, Cream and of course Led Zeppelin. These were the more well-known offspring of the Yardbirds. The other lesser known ones include, Renaissance and of course, Armageddon (they also had Captain Beyond's drummer. Armageddon is sort of a supergroup).

Here's a good song for the people who are looking for a better alternative to most symphonic metal bands (with the horrible industrial/gothic influences). This isn't a heavy song by any means. Just an exceptional symphonic rock song with one of the best female vocals I've ever heard.

EDIT: Just went through the above vids. That C.T. Pilferhogg sounds like a Heep rip off. I have seen a lot of covers of that Spooky Tooth song, Better By You, Better Than Me, and finally decided to listen to the original. Perhaps, this band should be added to the list of early heavies.
And I've noticed something interesting in the comments to that Power of Zeus vid. It seems like this awesome, obscure heavy nugget has been sampled by some rappers, so these rappers have good taste, huh? :D

• 1 likes this

Les Variations (France 1969) : Generations

• 1 likes this

Topics Solved: 2

Ah Les Variations! Can't believe i forgot to mention them.
Their first 2 albums in particular are brilliant.
Those Moroccans know how to rocc! ;)
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Well, I'm sorry if I'm disrupting this thread with this post, but given that we're already talking about influences that are not metal themselves (Gustav Holst, Maurice Ravel, Link Wray, Vanilla Fudge, The Yardbirds, Spooky Tooth), I thought we may as well get some important ones out of the way:
---
These may be some of the first Hard Rock songs (or "Proto-Hard Rock" (eek) , if you think they don't get that far):
The Kinks:
You Really Got Me (1964)
All Day And All Of The Night (1964)

I Need You (1965)
---
This is the result of the changes they made to their previous cover of Train Kept A-Rollin' in order to avoid copyright issues when appearing in a film. Sounds more "straightforward" than the original cover (The Yardbirds - Train Kept A-Rollin'):
The Yardbirds - Stroll On (1966)

---
The Del-Vetts - Last Time Around (1966)

*¡¿Where did that guitar tone come from?!
---
Also, I know these are surf rock bands but I can't help but feel some of this genre's tricks have been inherited by metal (compare with some parts of the songs Phantom Of The Opera and Transylvania by Iron Maiden).
Dick Dale and his Del-Tones - Misirlou (1962)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y3h9p_c5-M

The Chantays - Pipeline (1962)
---
*And this is just some "Proto-Shred" for Riptorn, I know he just loves it LoL.
Johnny "Guitar" Watson - Space Guitar (1954)

---
My point is that I think that what you'd get by taking some specific pieces off these songs and putting them in the same song, it's sound wouldn't be too far away from metal.

On a different note, is it just me or these songs do have something in common?:

Les Variations - Générations (1969) (mentioned by Voodoo Child in the second previous post)

Spooky Tooth - Better By You, Better Than Me (1969)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbvJSfHwBMA
Tear Gas - The Temptation Of St Anthony (1971)

Budgie - Breadfan (1973)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orYr_dVnb48
*And I add this last one to compare:
Judas Priest - Better By You, Better Than Me (1978)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQ07bkIdOA

(Check the riff at 6:00)

• 1 likes this
Spain (es) Male

Humble Pie was the first band signaled as "Heavy Metal", in 1969, by John Peel, and Performance Rockin The Fillmore from 1971 was the first album featured a small label marking it as Heavy Metal in the back cover

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
Colombia (co) Male YouTube  
Name: Infernvs

Topics Solved: 5

Bruce10, I am a huge surf rock fan. I was planning to post about Dick Dale (one of my favourite guitarists), his music was surely a precursor to all heavy and fast rock music, be it metal, punk rock or shred guitar.

Here's one of his later works. Just to show that he still kicks ass! Really under-appreciated guy, he is.

And I agree with you on the Kinks being early hard rock. I have a feeling that Ozzy was influenced by the Kink's singer. Also, I am digging that Tear Gas track, thanks for that.

The cult legend, Randy Holden's work shows the evolution of awesome music, from Dick Dale inspired surf rock, to The Yardbirds inspired garage rock, to proto heavy metal! (Randy Holden's biggest early influence is Dick Dale. Later he adopted the sustain heavy style of Jeff Beck, which can be observed in this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft4GJ9stir4 . He was even offered the chance to replace Jeff Beck after Beck left the Yardbirds! He later went on to join Blue Cheer. He played really powerful and heavy versions of the stuff he did with Blue Cheer as Population II [vid below])

Here's a really dark and doomy surf tune by him (2nd wave black metal fans will surely dig this stuff) with his early surf rock band The Fender IV.

His work with the garage rock band, The Other Half.

And finally, his proto doom masterpiece. This was a duo with him handling the guitars with the ex-drummer of Kak playing both drums and bass simultaneously (I have no idea how they pulled it off. Keyboard bass with one hand?! O.o )

And here's for riptorn, bruce10 says you love proto-shred, so here you go.

• 1 likes this

I'll check that link later Metalfink, thank you.
Whilst we're talking about surf guitar influences on the earliest Heavy Rockers, Link Wray's 'Rumble' has to get a mention.
Whilst still being a distance away from Heavy Rock, it has a lot of the same attitude, atmosphere and sense of drama that has become part and parcel of what we now call 'Metal'.
Jimmy Page for one holds it up as a huge influence on his playing.
That Tear Gas song that was linked earlier was rerecorded later on when the band became The Sensational Alex Harvey Band.
That later version is an absolute killer.
Zal Cleminson had nailed his guitar sound/style by that time, and Harvey himself brings it all to life with his quirky characterful vocals.
A lot of the SAHB stuff is worth thorough investigating, they were a grossly underrated band.

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Seems like we have taken a short break from proto-metal to post even earlier influences. Before we resume posting proto-metal, I'd like to post some of my favourite heavy/punky garage songs from the 60s, and even some oldschool rock & roll. Also, I am gonna highlight an underappreciated genre. Plus a very unique prog band I dig.

Early rock & roll pioneer who started playing a style of catchy old African drum beat/rhythm (clave) on his guitar (which became known as 'Bo Diddley beats'), Bo Diddley. I love his style. I know that his old 50s rock & roll music have nothing to do with this topic but he outdid himself with this live performance in the 60s. Just listen to the guitar!

Influenced by the king of twang, Duane Eddy (as suggested by the name of the band; The Benders), this is a song ahead of its time.... almost punk.

An early Hendrix recording (before he got famous) in the early 60s fuzz rock style, influenced by the iconic Batman theme, recorded with Curtis Knight as Curtis Knight & the Squires.

An early garage classic, the earliest garage rock songs were influenced by surf rock to an extent, which can be observed in this song.

During the early 60s, during the heydays of instrumental rock, there was the early heavy rock pioneer, Link Wray (he invented the power chord), the king of twang: Duane Eddy, the king of Surf: Dick Dale and of course, there was the king of fuzz: Davie Allan. Davie Allan was not the first to play fuzz rock, he started as a surf rock guitarist but later (perhaps after listening to the Ventures song, the 2000 Pound Bee) switched completely to fuzz guitar. He had his own style which can perhaps be described as fuzz rock or even biker rock, 'cos he did the soundtracks for a lot of the 60s biker B-movies. Before the rise of the heavy distorted hard rock/metal guitar sound, the fuzz sound was the closest that came to sounding like a bike. Which is where the metal connection comes.

Here's the intro of the classic biker movie Wild Angels, featuring Davie Allan's classic, The Blues Theme. One of the most badass intros ever.

And here's a classic psychedelic rock song. Got a good riff and a nice driving beat to go with it. This song is in one of the earliest concept albums.

And of course, up next is the underappreciated genre I mentioned before. When it comes to "the best guitarists", nowadays most people will think about shred guitarists. Playing a neoclassical arpeggio means you are a great guitarist. But I beg to differ. The most talented and yet underappreciated guitarists are found in a genre that is mostly ignored by metalheads, although there are technical death metallers who appreciate 'em. Guess the genre. :D

Almost forgot, here's the unique prog rock band I was talking about. A band with no guitars, but they can still sound heavy, powered by the mighty Hammond organ. Hell, they may have even invented blast beats.

More blast beats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pClt3fU_Lwg
EDIT: I just found out that this album was already uploaded by krEEchUr.
viewtopic.php?f=109&t=10124

• 1 likes this

That Johnny Guitar Watson track is awesome!
I'd only really heard some of his later funk & blues stuff before, and the stuff he did with Frank Zappa.
Today's shredders should be forced to listen to this type of stuff, whilst we burn all their text books and destroy their Floyd Rose tremmys.
Whilst we're talking about guitar-free early heavys, (Aardvark rule, of course) try these for size:

RARE BIRD - Hammerhead (1970) UK

ATTILA - Holy Moses (1970) USA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea-P8kaFdvA

('Revenge Is Sweet' is the best track on their album but i couldn't find it on youtube unfortunately)

• 1 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Very cool that someone posted the Sound Of Imker 7". The label that was due to release that record decided not to actually distribute it and gave the copies to the band. The band just discarded most of the copies so finding an actual copy is very difficult. One of the members went on to this band.....

here's a rare record from 1966 that sounds like a precursor to Sound Of Imker's "Train Of Doomsday"

more 60's heaviess....

here's a side from 1968 of a band turning Pretty Things' "Defecting Grey" into their own adaptation

another well known high speed tune from the 60's with some dirty guitars

some high speed punk from 1966

got dozens more 60's punk sides that would fit into the heavy/nasty criteria. been an on and off radio DJ for the past 20 years, and have listened to well over a thousand sides from the 60's.

• 1 likes this
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

Iron Maiden (1969)

Hustler (1974)

18 Karat Gold (1973)

Demian (1971)

Nazareth (1974)

Message (1973)

Salem Mass (1971)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGydNr9QC9E
Tractor (1972)

Nice topic BTW (listenmu2) (listenmu) (listenmu4) (listenmu3)

• 2 likes this
Netherlands (nl) Male
Name: T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKTbm_LQbu8
Curved Air- The Lost Broadcasts is

at 13:43 minutes. that fast descending riff

that riff would later be used by metal bands in the 1980s.

It reminds me of a similar riff at the 30 second mark of Degenerate Youth - World Gone Mad demo's track "Conforming Central".

• 1 likes this

Some of Curved Air's vocals are pretty "brutal", too, for the 70s.

metalfink wrote:Here's also something weird I have noticed. One of the most influential works of classical music to metal are Gustav Holst's Mars: Bringer of War and Maurice Ravel's Bolero. Perhaps the earliest rocker to bridge Ravel's Bolero with rock is Jeff Beck with Beck's Bolero in 1968. Surely, this is one of the most influential tracks to metal.

Those are some nice early examples I didn't know. One I always knew about was King Crimson's - The Devil's Triangle from their 1970 album In the Wake of Posieden:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLklkXwEMvM

This shot of Ozzy shows him listening to records and on the floor along with some other classics is King Crimson's first album and Holst's The Planet Suite (left of center bottom) as done by Sir Adrian Boult and The Vienna State Opera Orchestra from 1963.

http://i.imgur.com/oEQyrvd.jpg

• 1 likes this

Does that Ozzy photo have something to do with Bob Daisley ? Like this photo was taken at Bob's house with Bob's records

In Daisley's book http://www.bobdaisley.com/for-facts-sake/order-now , he wrote that Holst's The Planet Suite was an influence when he was writing something in Uriah Heep or the Blizzard of Oz.

I will have to re-read it, but think it was a fave also among others like Ritchie Blackmore, Jon Lord, and Randy Rhoads.

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to General Metal Discussions