Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Battlejackets
riptorn wrote:Only two brands were deemed acceptible, Wrangler or Levis, anything else was wannabe.
It was never to be washed either, if it got blood, grease, vomit or worse on it then you wore it until the elements did their thing, every blemish was to be worn with pride.

haha, man it was hell whenever my Mom bought me crap like GWG jeans to wear for school.
After enough crap she finally let me get what i wanted which usually were Levi's. Wrangler's are ok.
The only people that need industrial strength jeans like GWG's are cowboys, or workers like on a farm or oil rig where you know nobody cares, and you don't care as you know they will be filthy soon enough.

Had to go to OLD NAVY to buy my jean jacket and buy their brand, which seems pretty good. Added more patches, but still not as complete as I see others have theirs.

I only know about scummy bikers like Hell's Angels that would never wash their jackets, never knew that metalheads thought the same. Then again, I see that most guys are pigs and they never wash their hands after using the washroom in bars or restaurants.

After awhile, the glue smell, and the smell of sweat in my jacket got to me, so I didn't trust throwing it into a washing machine, but soaked it in a storage tub and washed it/wrung it by hand.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 345

canadaspaceman wrote:i will always be jealous of ConanOfSteel's Heavy Load backpatch!

Be jealous no more...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-LOAD-De ... Sw3ydVjSk9

And go one better...

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Mad-Printing?_ ... heavy+load
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 98

easternthunder wrote:The slim me of my teens is no more; I'm now an expanded deluxe edition... (whistle))

(hehe)

I relate to that alright, i'm gonna have to borrow your 'expanded deluxe edition' description to describe my paunch from now on.
Your post got me thinking about what was the next development in Heavy Metal 'fashion', the adoption of the combat jacket.
How long 'til they come back into popularity? No idea where you'd get one these days though, since all the old Army & Navy stores seem to be a thing of the past. Again, the more worn out your jacket was the more respect it garnered, if you could find one on the rack with holes that had been darned you could talk it up as being a repared bullet hole or some such nonsense.
:D
I saw a lot of those with band logos & album art painted on them, the fabric seemed to hold on to the paint well.
Another important feature of the combat jacket was the ability to fit cans of beer in the pockets, something you just couldn't do with a denim cut. Came in very handy indeed.
;)
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 96

canadaspaceman wrote:
riptorn wrote:Only two brands were deemed acceptible, Wrangler or Levis, anything else was wannabe.
It was never to be washed either, if it got blood, grease, vomit or worse on it then you wore it until the elements did their thing, every blemish was to be worn with pride.

haha, man it was hell whenever my Mom bought me crap like GWG jeans to wear for school.
After enough crap she finally let me get what i wanted which usually were Levi's. Wrangler's are ok.

I only know about scummy bikers like Hell's Angels that would never wash their jackets, never knew that metalheads thought the same. Then again, I see that most guys are pigs and they never wash their hands after using the washroom in bars or restaurants.

Agreed, Wrangler jeans were just okay, but their jackets on the other hand were almost indestructible.
I still have an early 80's Wrangler denim jacket which was too big for me at the time, but fits like a glove nowadays, i'm so glad i hung onto it.
It's faded & weathered really nicely now, but it's held it's shape & the stitching remains pristine 35 years later.
I've also got a courduroy Wrangler 'Wrange-Jacket' from the 70's which only now is starting to show the beginnings of some serious wear.
Like this one:
https://s17.postimg.org/mqfmjm7en/20101126_1320276.jpg
Their stuff was built to last
Regarding the not washing your jacket thing, i've no idea if that was a local trend or more widespread but it more than likely came from the bikers originally. I have a vivid recollection of seeing some youngster getting singled out by some older guys in the queue for a gig at the Glasgow Apollo in the early 80s because he had on a pristine denim jacket. He got forcibly rolled around on the street & dragged through a puddle whilst the queue whooped it up & cheered his assailants on, but once he was sufficiently filthy he was hoisted onto one of the guys shoulders whilst everyone cheered. It was like an initiation, and once filthy he was completely accepted & for the rest of the wait in the queue the wee guy was a minor celebrity with everyone patting him on the back & passing him bottles & cans to swig from. I remember thinking he was younger than me & i couldn't have been any more than 16 at the time, so frankly i was just glad that it wasn't me getting the treatment.
On another occassion, at a Motorhead gig, i walked into the toilets of the venue to see some drunk guy lying on the floor & 2 other guys pissing on him! One of the guys looked up casually & by way of explanation just said 'Lee Cooper', like i was supposed to instantly understand what was happening. Turned out the guy had commited the cardinal sin of showing up in a 'Lee Cooper' denim jacket & this was his punishment!! Even madder, they then helped him up & it turned out that he was their friend! Much backslapping and laughter then ensued, with no detectible signs of any animosity.
(shock)
Apparently that act of complete degradation was just how huge terrifying looking hairy men showed each other affection in those days.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Bikers are funny people. I was at a Motorhead gig in London and this guy was being initiated. A number of bikers were holding this massive tray and inviting everyone to pour their beer and whatever into it, the point being that the initiate had to drink the lot. People were gobbing in that thing and chucking all kinds of crisps and whatever into it. Ugh!

• 1 likes this
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 0

drterror666 wrote:Bikers are funny people. I was at a Motorhead gig in London and this guy was being initiated. A number of bikers were holding this massive tray and inviting everyone to pour their beer and whatever into it, the point being that the initiate had to drink the lot. People were gobbing in that thing and chucking all kinds of crisps and whatever into it. Ugh!

So did they let you in? (hehe)
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

riptorn wrote:Who coined this phrase 'battlejacket'? I see it used all the time now & frankly it sounds moronic.
Back in the day we just called them 'cuts', because you cut off the sleeves so it could go over your leather jacket in winter, (or if riding a motorbike), and you could wear it over a t-shirt if it was warmer.

yeah, we never had any phrases for it when/where I grew up. It was just called a jean jacket!

In the 1980s at my highschool, all the rockers / metallers had jean jackets or leather jackets, but not many had patches.
A couple guys did, with either a giant Led Zep or AC/DC back patch. Usually if the back of a jacket was covered, it was hand painted.

For example, you knew a guy was really into a band, if he covered his back with Pink Floyd 's The Wall, and on top he had all the weird cartoons from the album sleeves, or if he painted the Hermit/Wizard holding the lantern on the mountain from the inside of Led Zep iV.

There was one chick who had the back of her jean jacket covered in hard rock patches, but usually everybody just bought buttons/pins from head shops as they only cost a buck each and put them on the front where the upper pockets were -
(like this guy, whoever he is -
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.-KnzsO0N-ia2lr9LJd38VgEyDL&pid=15.1
Almost never seen any jackets with the sleeves cut off until I started going to metal concerts, like Motorhead or Slayer.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

canadaspaceman wrote:Usually if the back of a jacket was covered, it was hand painted.
For example, you knew a guy was really into a band, if he covered his back with Pink Floyd 's The Wall, and on top he had all the weird cartoons from the album sleeves, or if he painted the Hermit/Wizard holding the lantern on the mountain from the inside of Led Zep iV.

Yep, you used to see a lot of hand painted jackets here too. Usually leather or combat jackets rather than denims though.
Embroidered logos were a big thing for a while too, and some would spend a lot of time on those with quite spectacular results.
There was a hippy looking girl who i used to see at gigs who had the entire front cover of Barclay James Harvest's 'Octoberon' album embroidered on the back of her combat jacket, with parts done in glittery or metallic thread so it caught the light. It was an incredible piece of work and must have taken forever to do. I actually borrowed the album from my local library because i recognized the artwork from her jacket, but was disappointed to discover the music within was pretty wet prog rock, entirely lacking in heaviness.

https://s26.postimg.org/m3bcie62h/cover_5041017122016_r.jpg

The embroidery thing looked like a lot of work to me, so i just stuck with badges & the occasional patch.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Stumbled across this article in the first issue of Planet Rock magazine where someone's shared their remembrances about their vintage denim cut-off. You can almost smell the mixture of patchouli oil, stale sweat, beer & engine grease off it. The real deal. This is exactly the kind of look i remember, greasy, dirty, home-made cuts, often with 'mentions' written on them. I'd completely forgotten about that weird trend, where people would often sign each others cuts or write jokes or slogans. Was that just a UK thing or was it practiced further afield too?

https://s1.postimg.org/3mfuman35p/image.jpg

A thing of beauty, i think you'll agree.
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

riptorn wrote: This is exactly the kind of look i remember, greasy, dirty, home-made cuts, often with 'mentions' written on them. I'd completely forgotten about that weird trend, where people would often sign each others cuts or write jokes or slogans. Was that just a UK thing or was it practiced further afield too?.

I don't remember seeing that done in Toronto, writing on each other's jackets. Sometimes young teenage girls would scribble their names with ballpoint pens on their boyfriend's? One ding-a-ling I went out with, drew her name in huge letters down my jean pant leg, but I didn't care as I liked her tits.
She later dropped me, and then next week, when in school I was asked about her, after classmates seen her name, I laughed as I told them I learned she just got run over by a car and good riddance!

haven't finished the front of my jacket yet.
https://i.imgur.com/77GDrS8.jpg
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Lol. Styx and The Mentors!?
(shock)
I love it!
(clap4)
It's combinations just like that which make custom jackets so very unique.
Regarding the writing on each others cut offs/jackets thing, i suppose that's another example of the way different scenes had their own styles & trends going on. Another one i was thinking about was a brief fad where people would patch their holy jeans with beer towels they'd purloined from pubs. I couldn't find a Metal example, but here's a member of UK Punk band Disorder sporting a pair of ratty jeans with a 'Courage Beer' bar towel 'patch'.
https://s1.postimg.org/4tvzf37ppb/dis-1.jpg
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

I am not part of the old epoch so for me there's no point on this kind of things, I've seen stores like supermarkets full of empty jackets and boxes and boxes of patches ... I went to some big concerts where you could see thousands of this stuff everywhere and lots of teenagers (and in some cases even older guys) buying all this stupid trendy piece of crap. All patches looking new, jackets so black... if it really is a battlejacket shouldn't it be having at least mud ? Haha . Sad lots of new comers are buying it. One of those pictures from above reminded me that. I really see no point on all this, I appreciate handmade backpatches but sadly those are a thing from the past or for those who still have someone who could do it and really understand the spirit.

extreme metal from the underworlds
http://pheretrum.no-ip.org/
Uruguay (uy) Male 

Topics Solved: 0

« Return to General Metal Discussions

« Previous topic | Next topic »