Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Favourite NWOBHM guitarist of all time?
  • http://i.imgur.com/O0Utmrk.jpg

There's a lot of great guitar work in NWOBHM, does anyone have a favourite player?
    United Kingdom (uk) Male   YouTube 
    Name: High Treason

Topics Solved: 0

For me "John Sykes", it is a brilliant guitarist for his technique, he also participated in great bands !!

Tygers Of Pan Tang

Thin Lizzy

Whitesnake

• 2 likes this
    For some warmth from someone ...
    Bringer of Steel
    Peru (pe) Male 
    Name: John

Topics Solved: 46

There are too many to mention, but lately I've really been enjoying Dave Patton's work on the two Hellanbach albums.

• 1 likes this
    United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

I'll cast my vote to Jaguar's Garry Pepperd. A vastly underrated player capable of fast, twisted and frantic riffs that almost single-handedly created the thrash metal style.

"Axe Crazy", "The Fox", "Dutch Connection"... priceless! :-)
    Random avatar

3r1k wrote:For me "John Sykes", it is a brilliant guitarist for his technique, he also participated in great bands !!

Tygers Of Pan Tang

Thin Lizzy

Whitesnake

That Raised on Rock solo is just phenomenal. Good choices!
    United Kingdom (uk) Male   YouTube 
    Name: High Treason

Of course I will throw Raven's Mark Gallagher into the discussion. His riffs were killer before the term "Killer" was even coined. His solos were always fast and furious. Anybody who has ever seen an early Raven concert on video will attest that there have been few bands in the past or the present who could match the energy that Raven brought to the stage.

• 1 likes this
    United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

For me, it's gotta be Brian Tatler. His playing skills are excellent, but it's his compositional skills that lift him above all other NWOBHM guitarists.
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 98

First pick for me, will always be -
    Raven - Mark Gallagher

and I also love the riffs and solos by -

Grim Reaper - Nick Bowcott
    Iron Maiden (early) - Dave Murray
    TANK - Peter Brabbs
    Venom - Mantas
    Witchfinder General - Phil Cope

• 1 likes this
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 345

Judas Priest - Glen Timpleton
    Iron Maiden- Dave Murray
    Samson- Paul Samson
    Grim Reaper-Nick Bowcott
    Brian Tatler -Diamond Head
    John Sykes- Tigers of Pan Tang (metal2) (ukk)
    Brazil (br) Male

VardisRules wrote:There are too many to mention, but lately I've really been enjoying Dave Patton's work on the two Hellanbach albums.

I met him a few years ago when his band supported mine at a pub gig. I thought he'd come down in the world a bit until he told me he was flying to Japan the next day to tour with Glenn Hughes!
    Random avatar
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

I have to mention Def Leppard's Steve Clark. He was such an amazing guitarist. So many great solos. Solo in Die Hard The Hunter is one of my all time faves NWOBHM solos

Battlleaxe's Steve Hardy was also amazing. Burn This town is full of power
    Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 65

Steve Ramsey and Russ Tippins from Satan \m/ Legendary and killer duo \m/
    Random avatar
    Banned
    Hungary (hu) Male

Nick Bowcott "Grim Reaper " era

Topics Solved: 12

Everyone has already mentioned great names, I would like to add Kevin Heybourne from Angel Witch. (metal1)

• 1 likes this
    it's a chosen way of life!"
    Brazil (br) Male 
    Name: Daniel

I agree with Keeper and Kevin Heybourne, but if we could (hardly) count Motorhead as a NWOBHM band, Brian Robertson in Another Perfect Day is one hell of a guitarist for me!

• 1 likes this
    Greece (gr) MaleYouTube  
    Name: George

Topics Solved: 1

Phil Cope of Witchfinder General : so much delicious noodling
    Dave Murray and Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden
    Rob Mathew of Atomkraft has a distinctive sound I like
    The Toomey brothers of Bitches Sin, so much shreading
    Vivian Campbell of Sweet Savage
    Alan Jones of Pagan Altar
    Brian Taler of Diamond Head
    Steve Rounds from Cloven Hoof
    Keith Sharp and Robin Brancher from Desolation Angels
    France (fr) Male

Of the guitarists already mentioned, Peter Brabbs from Tank. Wonderful bluesy melodicism that gave a melodic edge when compared to Motorhead's rough n ready fuck off rock n roll. Mantas is obvious for me, I play in C# standard tuning because of him. I also like Rob Mathew too, just how Tank was Motorhead's more melodic little brother (with a guy that could actually sing) so was Atomkraft to Venom. I always thought that if Atomkraft had a second guitarist they'd basically be like a more Venom-like Satan. Steve Rounds will also be for me, the superior Cloven Hoof guitarist, his performance on Reach For the Sky off Fighting Back makes the song almost superior to the Dominator version (if only it wasn't for the thin guitar tone and Rob Kendrick's annoying vox) and his version of Road of Eagles is heads and tails over the Dominator version as well, the guitar solos on those two songs are just fucking godly. I have a soft spot for Steve Clark and Pete from Def Leppard, On Through The Night was one of my first albums ever, and Wasted rips so hard (for Leppard, at least). The Bitches Sin duo is wonderful too, especially on tracks like Down the Road off the Lead Weight comp, the intensity in the solos is palpable. Kevin Heybourne had a malignant fuckin atmosphere with his playing (even if his vox were wimpy) I mean, Baphomet and Angel of Death. I'm very glad Russ Tippins and Graeme English from Satan have been mentioned as well, those guys have impeccable precision and sound, fuckin Court in the Act would've not been as good if it wasn't for them.

On to unmentioned guitarists, Steve fucking White. By far my favorite material from him is War Machine's output. Thick, sharp distortion (albeit a bit muddy, but it adds to the atmosphere) and lovely melodic riffs and solos. Case in point, the entirety of Dangerous and On the Edge. Greg Reiter from Avenger is in the ranks too, his playing on Killer Elite was on par with the hardest shredders of the time. Snake and Tony Foster from Sparta get my vote too, while their soloing isn't the best, their riffing is up there, Angel of Death, Crossfire and In League being sweet examples. Rob Bendelow from Saracen is there too, I really dig his leads in Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Although they aren't TECHNICALLY NWOBHM, Pete Wadeson from Trojan and Gramie Dee from Blood Money, the former for having an almost Darkthrone ABitNS guitar tone and some of the most catchy riffs and leads this side of speedy NWOBHM and the latter for having this Venom on steroids feeling but with a sense of melody (he was a bit sloppy though, example being the solo in Wolfboat off Battlescarred, in the melodic part, he's playing triplet eights when it should be sixteenths to be theoretically correct). And of course, fuckin Virtue with Boz Beast and Matt Sheldon, Boz being the better of the two, but the heroic riffing and soloing is present in both. My last pick goes to Simon Sparkes (jesus christ what a british metal sounding name) from Wolf, the entire Edge of the World album a testament to his wonderful work.

That's about it I think lol.

• 3 likes this
    United States (us) Male
    Name: Black_Machine

Black_Machine wrote:Of the guitarists already mentioned, Peter Brabbs from Tank. Wonderful bluesy melodicism that gave a melodic edge when compared to Motorhead's rough n ready fuck off rock n roll. Mantas is obvious for me, I play in C# standard tuning because of him. I also like Rob Mathew too, just how Tank was Motorhead's more melodic little brother (with a guy that could actually sing) so was Atomkraft to Venom. I always thought that if Atomkraft had a second guitarist they'd basically be like a more Venom-like Satan. Steve Rounds will also be for me, the superior Cloven Hoof guitarist, his performance on Reach For the Sky off Fighting Back makes the song almost superior to the Dominator version (if only it wasn't for the thin guitar tone and Rob Kendrick's annoying vox) and his version of Road of Eagles is heads and tails over the Dominator version as well, the guitar solos on those two songs are just fucking godly. I have a soft spot for Steve Clark and Pete from Def Leppard, On Through The Night was one of my first albums ever, and Wasted rips so hard (for Leppard, at least). The Bitches Sin duo is wonderful too, especially on tracks like Down the Road off the Lead Weight comp, the intensity in the solos is palpable. Kevin Heybourne had a malignant fuckin atmosphere with his playing (even if his vox were wimpy) I mean, Baphomet and Angel of Death. I'm very glad Russ Tippins and Graeme English from Satan have been mentioned as well, those guys have impeccable precision and sound, fuckin Court in the Act would've not been as good if it wasn't for them.

On to unmentioned guitarists, Steve fucking White. By far my favorite material from him is War Machine's output. Thick, sharp distortion (albeit a bit muddy, but it adds to the atmosphere) and lovely melodic riffs and solos. Case in point, the entirety of Dangerous and On the Edge. Greg Reiter from Avenger is in the ranks too, his playing on Killer Elite was on par with the hardest shredders of the time. Snake and Tony Foster from Sparta get my vote too, while their soloing isn't the best, their riffing is up there, Angel of Death, Crossfire and In League being sweet examples. Rob Bendelow from Saracen is there too, I really dig his leads in Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Although they aren't TECHNICALLY NWOBHM, Pete Wadeson from Trojan and Gramie Dee from Blood Money, the former for having an almost Darkthrone ABitNS guitar tone and some of the most catchy riffs and leads this side of speedy NWOBHM and the latter for having this Venom on steroids feeling but with a sense of melody (he was a bit sloppy though, example being the solo in Wolfboat off Battlescarred, in the melodic part, he's playing triplet eights when it should be sixteenths to be theoretically correct). And of course, fuckin Virtue with Boz Beast and Matt Sheldon, Boz being the better of the two, but the heroic riffing and soloing is present in both. My last pick goes to Simon Sparkes (jesus christ what a british metal sounding name) from Wolf, the entire Edge of the World album a testament to his wonderful work.

That's about it I think lol.

Splendid post!

I can't believe I left out the guys of Satan and Avenger, two of my fav NWOBHM bands!
    France (fr) Male

Adrian Smith

Russ Tippins

(smoke)

CHEERS!!!
    Bringer of Steel
    Guatemala (gt) Male

Topics Solved: 28

Adrian Smith.
    The double attack of KK and Tipton was also brilliant.

« Return to General Metal Discussions