Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Most populous metal town (per capita)?
Any ideas for the most populous metal town in the world? By that, I mean which town has (or had) the most metal bands in relation to population size? I'd like to put a shout out for Mansfield - a small town in Nottinghamshire, England. According to Wikipedia, the district of Mansfield has a population of 98,181 and I can think of 5 metal bands from there: Savage, Witchfynde, Limelight, Sparta and Lawnmower Deth. That's 1 metal band per 19,636 of the population. Can anyone think of anywhere to beat that? To qualify, the band must have put out a vinyl or CD release, or atleast be known widely and internationally from their demos, and be 'metal' enough to be recognised on this forum.
 Male

Topics Solved: 3

Very strange question,are you considering only band from the 80's or also from 90's etc?I just made a small research on Metal Archives about New York(about 8 million people)from1977 to present day there are 1064 bands and an average of one bands about every 7.000 thousands people,in Settle(about 600.000 people and 194 bands)there is an average of one banf for about 3.000 people...according to MA in Mansfield there are ten bands listed from 1977 on...
Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 70

Easy answer most Swedish towns has the highest per capita bands of the old metal.
Random avatar
Greece (gr) Male

Topics Solved: 0

Vaggelis wrote:Easy answer most Swedish towns has the highest per capita bands of the old metal.

Interesting - care to share any specific examples?
 Male

nonseinormale65 wrote:I just made a small research on Metal Archives about New York(about 8 million people)from1977 to present day there are 1064 bands and an average of one bands about every 7.000 thousands people

New York is obviously a good shout, but when I originally posted this I was thinking more in terms of small towns or specific areas of large cities. I mentioned Mansfield in the UK because it was a name I seemed to hear quite often in relation to old metal bands and I knew from personal experience that it was a small town, which seemed to have contributed an unusually high amount of metal bands in the 1980's.
 Male

Albany, NY, Rochester, NY

Literally 100s of great metal bands between them, some made it, many are just a fond memory of better times
United States (us) Male
Name: Ron

Some people are thinking to much! No offence though,I think it is an interesting question.
First city that pops up in my mind was Tampa,Florida.With a population of about 350,000 people (thanks google) there are/were alot of metal bands hailing from there.
Random avatar
Netherlands (nl) FemaleFemale

« Return to General Metal Discussions