Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » About MANOWAR
  • Hello brothers!

I thought i would start a topic about Manowar.
    And i think its a matter of a major conversation.

First of all, they are one of my most favorite bands of all times. Why?

With their first 4 albums, they forged Epic metal sound to a unique "underground" style.
    I believe Manowar was a rare and obscure Metal band when first started. Their music and lyrics was not for the masses. It was (and it is still i think) very unique and not all of their fans couldnt understand. They played Epic Metal like no other can do (Except Manilla Road in some tips (knight) )

I would like to know many opinions on this matter

Death to false Metal!
    Greece (gr) Male  
    Name: Andreas

Topics Solved: 28

born to live forevermore.

They've gone kinda too far with the gimmicks some times, it made them lose some respect and seriousness (the loin underwear incident, gloves of metal) but it's a very emblematic band, the reason? the music, no matter how corny, how ridiculous they get in the lyrics, they still deliver, and they get to you and kick your ass like few bands out there do nowadays, and live? well i guess you could say they got a couple more decades in them, they put a shit ton of heart into it when they go out on stage, i went to see them live in spain with my cousin and they kicked ass the good ol' way. if you wanted an example of a band that loves what it does just say MANOWAR and no one who ever saw them live would disagree. so bottom line, in my opinion: metal gods, no matter how many assholes laugh at them.
    Name: Edgar

Topics Solved: 0

The most childish rants I ever heard talked on stage by a member of a band at a concert.

• 1 likes this

Manowar was , is and will one of the real GODS OF METAL . Together with JudaS P , Maiden , Helloween, Manilla , Candlemass, king Diamond , Metallica etc. Each of them had a bad times, but their heritage never will be even achieved .
    There are plenty assholes/posers among the normal HMR fans - especially they are like to declare to be a fans of " especial, aggressive,powerful, extreme " music. But usually they knows about 5-10 bands in black-death-grind -and-other shit. FUCK THEM ALL ( but be vigilant - some of them like this process ).
    So, if you want to feel REAL SPIRIT OF METAL - just hear Manowar songs :
    Battle hymns
    Gloves of Metal
    Valhalla
    Revelations
    Blood Of My Enemies
    Bridge Of Death
    Mountains
    Guayana
    Holy War
    Heart Of Steel
    Power

I have loved MANOWAR since first hearing "Metal Daze" tear out of my speakers all those years ago. What the fuck is this?, I said - just insanely heavy with those incredible screams of Eric Adams - made me forget about Ian Gillan right away. Eric is simply the greatest singer ever to grace heavy metal. Musically, the band haven't always been perfect (Blow Your Speakers, anyone?) but almost all their classic albums are packed with great tunes, and their back catalog now is simply incredible. However, they are losing me with what they are doing now - going a bit off the deep end IMO. But still, one of metal's great bands. Cheesy, childish, whatever - they are part of the fun in metal and I believe in having fun. Why not, life is short, why spend it in black-metal bleakness?!! HAIL HAIL HAIL - and KILL!
    Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 18

I am more than a bit ambivalent on Manowar, for sure their first 4 -5 albums contain a lot of highclass songs crowned by then outstanding voice of Mr. Adams.
    But the came the 22 - 12- 1989 in Düsseldorf. Manowar were headlining the Christmas Metal Meeting and I've never before or after been pissed off by a headliner anything like that. They took almost an hour to change the stage (10 minutes working, then simply let the fans wait "to create anxiety") . Playing Chinese Opera Music, you know, one sack, a couple of cats and a club to hit upon them, unnerving. When they finally hit the stage, they played less than an hour (featuring app. 20 minutes holding their instruments in the air (with heroic posing!) and let the feedback whine. Another 20 minutes on superfluos soli drowned echo- and effectfooling) They played merely 5 Songs as Headliners, can you be more pussy? Certainly the worst liveband, I've ever seen and I saw quite few!
    I still listen to and like those first albums, but every release after that was of far inferior quality, Mr. Adams voice with a fast decreasing performance. Interviews only childish rants, not even funny any more. Men in leather diapers!
    Germany (de) MaleYouTube 
    Name: Martin

Topics Solved: 9

Interesting post there Boring Oldfart. And somehow I am not surprised. I must admit I have never seen Manowar live but some interviews I have read here and there make it clear the band have lost touch with reality .
    This 'Metal Gods' thing has kinda gotten outta hand. Manowar believes that just EVERYTING they do are say is TRUE and all other bands are just a pity effort... Therefore they can no longer accept some criticism (hope I spelled this correctly ?).
    Well, in a way I can relate to this. Manowar most surely never gets any negative comments in their surroundings, whatever they do...

However and this is a big HOWEVER : Manowar made some brilliant albums of which their debut makes part of my top 10 albums
    of all time ! Battly Hymns is epicness multiplied by 1 000 000. This is the bible of true metal ! Hail and Kill indeed...

Conclusion : their glory times are WAY behind us now but who cares ? I mean c'mon : Motörhead is not gonna make another Ace of Spades, Saxon is not gonna top Wheels of Steel in a million years. Simple as that.

Second conclusion : MANOWAR... born to live for evermore, the right to conquer every shore...

I am and always will be a fan !!

(metal2)

• 2 likes this

Well i guess you ended up seeing the worst part of the band boring oldfart (seriously get a better name man) i went to see them live in spain in the Metalway 2009 and they showed a lot of heart on the arena, aye they didn't perform every song like if it was the 80's and Eric's voice is not the same, but they delivered the goods, and we all went home with a steel boot stuck to our assess and a smile in our faces, besides the band's understandable,acceptable, and inevitable live performance detriment (time does that to us all) everything went just perfect for us. I guess is all about what lady fortune might give to you, in what moment you go to see the band, what they're going through at that moment, and how high your expectations are placed.
    Name: Edgar

That's too bad your experience of the band was so bad, Boring. I can only saw that I have seen them live four times, in small clubs here in the USA, where they play some gigs as "warmup" shows before the big European festivals. Each time, they really tore the place apart. My wife a couple times got annoyed at Joey's rants (how his bass vibrations make women come and things like this) but other than that, she was also impressed, and she likes few metal bands. They played long sets each time, to only a few hundred people, and it felt like we were all special as they really seemed to give 100%.

Also I watched recently, for the second time, their The Day The Earth Shook - The Absolute Power live dvd of 2006, and damn if that isn't one of the best live dvds I've ever seen, and I've seen just about all of 'em, ha ha.

That sucks they were such pussies for the time you saw them, and I can't explain it. But it's completely contrary to my experience.

I agree with you 100% on the "interviews are childish rants" - yeah that's true, unless you talk to Eric or Scott (RIP) or Ross. I think you are just talking about Joey. And I agree Eric's voice isn't as good as the 80s, but it's still pretty damn good!

The "men in diapers" comment is a bit "below the belt" - after all, that cover of Into Glory Ride was quite some time ago! Every time I have seen them, it's been black leathers - what's more METAL than that - Rob Halford clothing - ummm, never mind!!
    Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 18

My brother Achilles, MANOWAR is the legend of heavy metal. Cannot described in words!! Dont forget that here in Hellas Manowar have the most die hard fans in all the world!! And this is not a joke!!
    DEATH TO FALSE METAL!!
    HAIL TO HELLAS THE LAND OF HEROES AND TRUE METAL!!!
    PS Thelo na sou stilo ena email gia kapoia pragmata pou exeis sto blog soy file mou kai den boro na ta katevaso.Tha ta poume

• 1 likes this
    Greece (gr) Male
    Name: Costas

Musically the only valid Manowar albums are first 4, demo and Defender single. Other releases go from crap to average. Now they are just posers and they make my stomach turn in disgust.

• 2 likes this
    Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 63

I think Manowar is one of the most disappointing bands I've heard and listen to. The first album does little for me, but albums 2 thru 5 are very listenable and solid most of the way through. Kings of Metal and everything after is a joke and it's quite sad to be honest. They had the potential to be amazing, but ruined it with stupid ideas and just being fat headed idiots. Aside from the corny ass lyrics, their early work is relatively solid. I just don't think they are anywhere near as good as the metal crowd thinks they are.
    United States (us) Male

I loved the first 4 albums. I used to absolutely worship the band's music. I had seen Manowar 4 times from '98 to the early 2000s. My opinion, however, since then has changed. During the show, the band does a great deal of strutting and posing, which is fine, but some things aren't what they appear to be. Joey DiMaio is way too interested in the band's image. The band brought us on their tour bus, which I think really shows something regarding how they treat fans. My ex-girlfriend was a drug and alcohol counselor. The band told her that they are all recovering alcoholics, and they sponsor each other in AA. I don't think that there is anything wrong with this. It's actually positive. But, during shows, they fill beer cans with what I think is ginger ale. I say this because Joey DiMaio usually chugs what appears to be a beer, and I got some of it poured on me, but did not smell like beer. They also have t-shirts that say "Born to Rock, Drink, and F**k" on them. At this point, they are pushing 60, and still concerned with holding on to an image that they had when they were 20. Let the music stand on its own merit. That's where the big problem is. Lately, they do a lot of talk telling us how much they "Kill" without actually producing killer music. I loved "Louder Than Hell" and "Warriors of the World" had a few nice tracks. But the latest stuff is chalk full of short interludes attempting the epic and Joey DiMaio distorting his voice to sound like Orson Welles. What are supposed to be full lengths contain an EP of actual songs, and not even good EPs at that. I've lost interest in the band in their current state, but still revere "Battle Hymns" and the other early material. They always preached being against being "False Metal." This should include trying to keep an image that no longer represents the band at the current age of its members.
    United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 15

Poittef wrote:The most childish rants I ever heard talked on stage by a member of a band at a concert.

It wasn't even them that made a childish rant when I saw them live in London last year. Infact, it was what was most likely their roadie when the one that came out and ranted on bootlegged merchandise. Other bands like Maiden have not complained once since they know the real fans will support the official merchandise and never needed to whine about it. I have to say, from that rant as well as only being on show for an hour and a half (about ten minutes of it wasted on solos), it was a very disappointing show.
    Random avatar
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

I grew up listening the classic Manowar albums, and in the 2010 the dream come true... Manowar in Chile, I was so excited because Manowar is one of my favourite bands, but, the dream was bitter, so bitter, like all the people in the theater where Manowar played, we waited for the classic songs, but nothing of that appeared, only songs from 2002 to 2010, it was so disappointed because everybody grew up with Battle Hymns or Sign Of The Hammer, even they didn´t play The Crown And The Ring as a outro, even Eric Adams was drunk in the show and Demaio speech about the beauty of the chilean girl, really sad
    Chile (cl)

Topics Solved: 2

MANOWAR To Embark On 'Farewell' Tour

MANOWAR has announced plans to embark on a "farewell" tour. The band says in a statement: "The 'Gods And Kings' tour was a groundbreaking moment in our career. The stage, sound, video and you,' our fans, were magnificent!

"Coming off such an amazing tour, it was clear that the next time we must go even bigger and beyond anything we have ever done; something that will fulfill every Manowarrior's dreams. Then that will be the ultimate moment to say 'thank you' and farewell!

"The final battle will begin in Germany and take us all over the world to say goodbye to all of you.

"If you know metal, you know MANOWAR. If you know MANOWAR, you know metal!
    "Those who join this tour will be left with an eternal memory; having witnessed the band that has dedicated their blood, hearts, souls and every moment of their career to true heavy metal.

"We are calling all Manowarriors to prepare yourselves now and to join us for The Final Battle!"

MANOWAR's "Gods And Kings" world tour celebrated "Kings Of Metal MMXIV", which many fans hadn't had a chance to experience live yet, as well as the upcoming anniversary of "Gods Of War", which was unleashed on the world in 2007. The setlist was packed with fan favorites from both albums, plus many other classics and special surprises.

In a recent interview, MANOWAR bassist Joey DeMaio stated about the "Gods And Kings" world tour: "We've added tons of new equipment and power amps, for even more power than ever before. Most of our equipment is custom-made, so it is a really intense and time-consuming process getting everything done in time, and meeting our specifications. Those who saw our 2015 tour know that we worked with videos on our gigantic LED screens. We have flown in our video designer from Europe to work with us on new video elements that will be played during the songs and, of course, the LED screens will be bigger and of higher quality than ever — over 150 m² and 6k resolution to be precise. Nothing but the latest and best technology for our fans will do!"

Speaking about the tour concept, Joey DeMaio said: "The previous tour celebrated 'Kings Of Metal MMXIV'. It was a terrific experience for fans, band and crew. The production was big and featured elements that we had not done before. It was more of a multi-media experience, with videos linking the songs and their conception, telling the story of our fans and our lives, capturing the energy on stage and off… When we started planning the new tour, we soon agreed that we wanted to keep the best of this previous tour, but of course add on to it, make it different and even bigger. And, believe it or not, the 10-year anniversary of 'Gods Of War' is upon us: The album was released in 2007 but we started working on it in 2006. But more importantly the question was: Who should join our Kings in battle? The answer was: the Gods Of War! So this is how the 'Gods And Kings' concept was conceived. Naturally, the 'Gods And Kings World Tour 2016' [is] more massive than the 'Kings Of Metal MMXIV Word Tour'! The 2015 tour was big. But nothing compared to what you'll experience on the 2016 tour!"

Source: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/manowa ... kMw33dt.99

What a sad news. :(
    it's a chosen way of life!"
    Brazil (br) Male 
    Name: Daniel

Lets wait and see, maybe is a trick for the lower publicity!
    Greece (gr) Male  

stasco wrote:Thelo na sou stilo ena email gia kapoia pragmata pou exeis sto blog soy file mou kai den boro na ta katevaso.Tha ta poume

Στειλε μου mail στο metalachilles@gmail.com
    Το νεο blog ειναι : www.riddleofsteel-metalblog.blogspot.com
    Greece (gr) Male  

AchiLLeS wrote:Lets wait and see, maybe is a trick for the lower publicity!

That's what I'm hoping too! (please)
    Brazil (br) Male 

Filth Hound wrote:I grew up listening the classic Manowar albums, and in the 2010 the dream come true... Manowar in Chile, I was so excited because Manowar is one of my favourite bands, but, the dream was bitter, so bitter, like all the people in the theater where Manowar played, we waited for the classic songs, but nothing of that appeared, only songs from 2002 to 2010, it was so disappointed because everybody grew up with Battle Hymns or Sign Of The Hammer, even they didn´t play The Crown And The Ring as a outro, even Eric Adams was drunk in the show and Demaio speech about the beauty of the chilean girl, really sad

I was there, and maybe the last time I would pay to see Manowar live. Yest, they first three albums were good -I'm not going that far to call them instant classics-, but the band nowadays is overshadow for drama and believing they're more than they really are, and is something cold off me from a band is when they're pretentious pricks.
    Chile (cl) Male YouTube  

Oh, i hope it's true. They should stop, they are a parody for far too long. IMO this band should have finished in 1992. i can't stand them anymore and I used to like them very much in late 80's. They are now pure rubbish. I flew off the handle when i tried to listen to remakes of Kings Of Metal and Battle Hymns - absolutely atrocious.
    Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 63

When reconfiguring neither thought I had commented ome ... and more to be thinking at the time that it was a publicity stunt, I thought as it was a defamation of the press ... for the simple reason that it is not his style .. ie are not here on the scene for the money. That had already said vocalist Eric Adams:

"... We do not want to buy Porsches money fast. Our intention is to produce top quality songs, always quality. Of course we all need to make money, how you and him and MANOWAR ... that's clear, but in the end this is love Metal, love of music and respect for the fans. in the end, once you have the whole album you realize that each song is made with the heart and is treated with the utmost care and therefore have to wait time ... But yes, it's time, of course it is time and there have been companies that have achuchado us and depressed beyond measure and we have sent a walk, with a "sorry, fuck you, is not yet prepared the disk." we had conflicts but we went ahead remember when I ever start thinking that in the end the music would be our lives for a very simple reason.. we lost to the record company before "Battle Hymns" out !, haha ​​Now we laugh but it was very fucked because after all the effort, time, money ... suddenly we were unaccompanied, penniless, starving and only with our music. Luckily we remain confident in us, Joey and I stayed together and slowly things were getting better and over the years have been getting bigger and bigger. The fact is that we believe in our music and I think that is why we have come this far, we believe in what we do, we believe in the fans and not interpret a role ... And this belief and confidence we always He made stronger and that you can check on our fans, our songs, our concerts. Everything we do is well planned and made by fans because we know they are those who also believe in our music, buy our records and come to our shows. Without the fans you are finished so this has always been the most important thing to get so far being a big band but equally authentic and humble in the beginning ".

Death to false metal is partly this, not being a mercenary of music ... be authentic. And otor sense of True Metal is the pdoer your mesic and lyrics, always victorious and calineadas with a true hymn to the gods of war ... so they turned out to be lso proud and arrogant month ... and so therefore, they hated by many. I really, I can not believe this is also good news despedida..pero, it leads us to consider the duration andthe life of a band .... if we like more to a band member dies despdia proque or being removed at its esplendor..esperemos to see what they say events ..
    Argentina (ar) Male YouTube 
    Name: anaximandro steel

My metal friends mock on me cause i like manowar , but i don't care i think they are Great
    Bringer of Steel
    Peru (pe) Male

Topics Solved: 13

FORMER MANOWAR GUITARIST KARL LOGAN FACES AT LEAST 25 YEARS IN JAIL AFTER ADMITTING TO DOWNLOADING AND KEEPING CHILD PORNOGRAPHY

Charlotte Observer is reporting that Karl Logan, former longtime guitarist of heavy metal band Manowar, faces at least 25 years in prison after admitting in a federal courtroom in Charlotte Friday that he downloaded and kept child pornography.

The 55-year-old Logan was jailed after pleading guilty to two child-pornography counts, U.S. District Court records show. His sentencing date has not been scheduled.

Logan, who lives in Charlotte, was expelled from the band after his 2018 arrest by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police on six counts of third-degree sexual exploitation of a minor.

The case was transferred to federal court, where a grand jury indicted Logan last year on one count each of receiving and possessing child pornography, according to court documents. Logan received the images by downloading them on the internet, records show.

Source: http://bravewords.com/news/former-manow ... ornography

Deserved.
    Brazil (br) Male 

Love the first 4 albums but their show at Dynamo Open Air 1999 is to this day one of the worst shows I have ever seen. I left halfway, feeling genuinely angry (yuck)
    Netherlands (nl) Male 
    Name: Robbert

I've been a Manowar fan since the first time I heard Battle Hymns.
    They really do cop more than their fair share of crap but I find mostly it comes from people too embarrassed to admit they are fans.
    Love The Earth Shook - The Absolute Power DVD (although the mid song talkies aren't that entertaining)

I just like Blood of the Kings and Revelation (Death's Angel) because those songs were played on the radio when I was a kid in the early nineties hehe

(cool)
    Bringer of Steel
    Guatemala (gt) Male

Topics Solved: 31

I was never really into them except I like that album with the "All Men Play on Ten" song.

Wish I could remember which mag this following photo is from, probably a Mega Metal Kerrang.

https://i.postimg.cc/tRcTL1YM/Manowar-christmas-pic-with-hired-models.jpg

• 2 likes this
    FORUM MOD!

Topics Solved: 794

Kerrang No 83 December 1984 and it wasn't the worst picture on the page :)
    It also wasn't the worst picture Manowar has ever had published :)

• 1 likes this

nothing is more heavy metal than playing on nickelodeon
    https://www.bitchute.com/video/7kyT5EKSAMmR/

• 2 likes this
    Name: Tomas

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to General Metal Discussions