Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Favorite Judas Fucking Priest album

Your favorite Judas Fucking Priest album

Rocka Rolla (1974)
2%
Sad Wings of Destiny (1976)
18%
Sin After Sin (1977)
5%
Stained Class (1978)
12%
Killing Machine / Hell Bent for Leather (1978)
5%
British Steel (1980)
6%
Point of Entry (1981)
4%
Screaming for Vengeance (1982)
10%
Defenders of the Faith (1984)
14%
Turbo (1986)
No votes
Ram It Down (1988)
4%
Painkiller (1990)
19%
Jugulator (1997)
1%
Demolition (2001)
1%
Angel of Retribution (2005)
No votes
Nostradamus (2008)
1%

Total votes : 189

I voted Sad Wings but after reading through the replies I was reminded of Stained Class. Hard to choose with these guys, so many amazing classics on almost every single album. They truly are, to me, the Beatles of metal.

Topics Solved: 0

Painkiller
Random avatar

Sin after Sin is a good album too and what about British Steel?? an iconic album
Random avatar
Mexico (mx) Male

british steel
Random avatar
Italy (it) Male

Painkiller. I like many J.P. albums but this one includes one of my favorite songs "Leather Rebel", so i have a soft spot for it.
Greece (gr) Male
Name: Elias Chatzialexis

This is a tough question. if I had to choose start from finish it would be painkiller, but there are so many good songs on many of their albums. Electric eye, Love bites, freewheel burnin', Living after midnight and many other good songs, these are just a few off the top of my head. Judas priest musical style has changed over the years, making this question extremly difficult to choose just one.
United States (us) Male

I voted for "Defenders Of The Faith" since it's probably the Priest album I've listened the most to through the years, althought I never quite liked the productiction on that album. Not really a big fan of Dave Holland's very basic and linear playing style (what a degradation from the likes of Simon Phillips and Les Binks ...), which kinda disappoints some when it comes to the drums. But the songs are still so strong and good, so I can't really deny the album its place for that simple fact. Actually love the "Nostradamus" album and consider it a close competitor.
Sweden (se) Male

Lets bring it back up, so newcomers can vote and comment.
Name: Edgar

It had to be Sad Wings Of Destiny, but it was tough to leave out Stained Class & Painkiller....
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 98

I usually don't like these kind of threads but I'm finding this one interesting. I think it is because there are so many great albums to choose from. And I don't use the word great lightly.

Screaming For Vengeance is the one I go back to the most. After that it is Defenders Of The Faith and Sad Wings Of Destiny.

As has been said many times before, Sad Wings Of Destiny is the sound of 70's heavy rock turning into the classic heavy metal sound that we all love. A monumental album.

A band that really deserves it's status as a metal legend.

Funny how just recently I made a thread on this on a forum that I moderate. I voted for Ram It Down simply because it needs more love, but I am much more into Stained Class.

Anyway, here's what was posted:

- Sad Wings of Destiny -
The band's second album, and already the album where they found their sound. Listen to songs like the thunderous "Tyrant", the dark & hazy "Dreamer Deceiver/Deceiver", the epic "Victims of Changes", and of course the more sinister number "The Ripper".

- Stained Class -
Wow! Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin After Sin kicked lots of ass, no doubt, but this behemoth here pretty much rammed it without mercy. "Exciter" was one of the very first speed metal songs that came out, and when it did it helped define Judas Priest's music even better. Rob Halford's shrieking-mad falsettos and the twin-guitar assaults of axe-shredders K. K. Downing and Glenn Tipton prove just what kind of a band Judas Priest was (and still is). This is the first Judas Priest album where there was not *one* blues rock song to be found. Nope! This is 100% PURE HEAVY METAL! Listen to songs like "Saints in Hell" and "White Heat, Red Hot". Judas Priest at their rawest power.

- Screaming for Vengeance -
Most people consider British Steel to be Judas Priest's best '80s album, but I would call bullshit on that. Screaming for Vengeance's badassery is not only epitomized by that killer metallic eagle on the front cover (Hellion), but also much of the songs it contains. "The Hellion/Electric Eye" pretty much is THE way to open up a classic heavy metal album (especially a typical Judas Priest show, but unfortunately they're no longer doing world tours), as it is not only anthemic as heck but it also has one of the best guitar riffs ever heard in the history of metal. The followup "Riding on the Wind" starts off with a decent double bass drumming courtesy of Dave Holland (who really never was that special aside from songs like "Desert Plains" and "Hard as Iron", but he wasn't bad either). The title track is a blistering speed metal thrasher that just kicks ya in the balls, by the way! Screaming! Screaming for vengeance!

- Ram It Down -
I never understood just why lots of people don't like this album? I consider it a far more listenable album than Defenders of the Faith to be honest (OK, the first half is definitely killer, but the second half just tanks in my opinion -- "Some Heads Are Gonna Roll" sounds like an obvious bridge to Turbo, which was icky bubblegum pop metal). This album is so much closer to Painkiller than Turbo, and songs like the title track, "Hard as Iron", "Blood Red Skies", and "Heavy Metal" prove this to be living fact. Alright, so they did do a cover of the lame-ass pop rock song "Johnny B. Goode" -- so what?! It's only rock 'n' roll, and besides the pros of this album easily triumph the cons. Definitely a decent album, and "Monsters of Rock" is a much, much better closer than Defenders of the Faith's.

- Painkiller -
I'll admit that despite this album being completely overrated, it's still frigging excellent. I consider this album to be the grandson of the legendary-yet-underrated Stained Class -- just listen to killers such as "Leather Rebel", "All Guns Blazing", "One Shot at Glory", "Night Crawler", and of course the title track. If this album doesn't leave you headbanging from A to Z 'til your neck is about to snap off, then maybe metal just isn't your thing and you're probably better off listening to Lady Gaga or Kanye West. Just saying!
United States (us) Male 

I vote Stained Class. To me it is like the Painkiller of the 70s, but I prefer the style.

Topics Solved: 1

Mistereyedee wrote:Funny how just recently I made a thread on this on a forum that I moderate. I voted for Ram It Down simply because it needs more love, but I am much more into Stained Class.
[/quote]

Thanks for the contribution bro. Awesome forum you got there, name looks promising, got yourself a new member right here, HAIL

• 1 likes this
Name: Edgar

Hellraiser212 wrote:Thanks for the contribution bro. Awesome forum you got there, name looks promising, got yourself a new member right here, HAIL

Thank you for your kind words, friend. I want to help bring together more headbangers into a nice little community, and I find the people here very nice! I activated your account, by the way. :)
United States (us) Male 

sad wings of destiny!
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

Voted for Defenders of the faith as it was the first album that blew me away.
Sad Wings of Destiny is my fave 70ies Priest Album.
All the Rest (HALFORD!) like the classics are killer too, of course!
Random avatar
Germany (de) Male

Filth Hound wrote:Always will be Screaming for Vengeance my fav Judas Priest album

I'll second this, although Sad Wings of Destiny, Painkiller and British Steel are all five star masterpieces imo.
 Male

!. Painkiller
2. Unleashed In The East
3. Screaming For vengeance
Netherlands (nl) Male
Name: Rob

Pain-Killer album!
Name: Sarissoforos

Topics Solved: 9

Switzerland (ch) Male