Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Doom Recommendations For A Noob?
Hey, I'm just starting to get into doom (been listening to mostly thrash forever) So far, the only bands I've heard are recommendations from friends, so I haven't really dug too far into it yet. What do you consider to be the most important, underrated and greatest doom bands?

So far I've heard:
Acid King
Acid Witch
Alunah
Black Sabbath (obviously)
Brume
Candlemass
Electric Wizard
My Dying Bride
Pallbearer
Ruby The Hatchet
Saint Vitus
Windhand
Witchfinder General

(don't @ me if they aren't 'technically doom' I'm just going off friends recommendations lol)
Random avatar
United States (us) FemaleFemale 
Name: TrayerTrash

Topics Solved: 1

Everybody's a noob at some point so no worries there...some folks might give you shit for calling some of those doom but how is a noob supposed to know anyway?

So I'll help you with the traditional and epic doom stuff. Here are some must checkouts: Solitude Aeturnus, Forsaken, Solstice, Procession, 80's Griffin era Pentagram/Deathrow, Internal Void, Gates of Slumber, Iron Man, The Obsessed...those are all classics...underrated and/or newer? Death Rides a Horse, Dark Covenant, Pale Divine, Orodruin, Monolith Cult, Mesmer (if you like thrash you're really going to like them), Exorcism, The Wretch...

Those lists can go on and on just holler when you want more (and indicate which bands you like best so the answer can be better tailored) those should have your head banging slowly for a bit..

• 1 likes this
Random avatar

Topics Solved: 0

Goatess
Count Raven
Lord Vicar
Oh, and if you like Windhand, check out Haunted by Haunted on Twin Earth Records!

• 1 likes this
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 0

Solitude Aeturnus
Count Raven
Pentagram/Death Row
Solstice
Mercy (first Messiah Marcolin´s band)
Lord Vicar
Procession
Capilla Ardiente
Crypt Sermon
Argus (Heavy/Doom)
Chile (cl)

Topics Solved: 2

United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 98

The other posters have named all the important ones, but I have to add Northwinds. I'll suggest also checking out some subgenres and closely related genres, for example death/doom: Winter, Disembowelment, Coffins, Sinistrous Diabolus.

There's also a whole spectrum of bands ranging from drone/doom (invented by Earth) through to sludge (pioneered by Melvins), and then stoner metal which is more psychedelic. Some of my favourites such as Eagle Twin, Plastic Gods, and Bongripper can't be pinned down to just one of those labels.

Check out Earth's early stuff like Extra-Capsular Extraction and Earth 2, and if you like that, other drone/doom bands include Monarch, Black Boned Angel, Moss, Sunn O))).

For stoner metal, try High on Fire, Sleep, Looking Glass, Arc of Ascent, Dopelord.

There's also bands that mix in an occult rock vibe, such as Blood Ceremony and The Graviators.
New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

You should also make time to check out some of the other bands who were around at the same time as Sabbath.
They might not be what modern Metal heads would regard as 'doom' but they played their part in shaping the sound too and will give you a greater appreciation for the roots. There are some mighty fine slow crushing riffs to be found if you know where to look.
Try some of these albums:

FLOWER TRAVELLIN BAND - Satori
BUDGIE - Budgie, Squawk & Never Turn Your Back on A Friend
SIR LORD BALTIMORE - Kingdom Come
LEAFHOUND - Growers Of Mushroom
WARPIG - Warpig
NIGHT SUN - Mournin'
BLUE CHEER - Vincebus Eruptum & Outsideinside
IRON CLAW - Iron Claw
NECROMANDUS - Necromandus (aka Orexis Of Death)
BUFFALO - Dead Forever & Volcanic Rock
BLOODROCK - Bloodrock
BANG - Bang & Death Of A Country

I'm sure i've missed a few important or just plain great ones, but that should be enough to be getting on with.
Here's FLOWER TRAVELLING BAND's 'Satori' in it's glorious entirety to kick things off:

• 2 likes this
Bringer of Steel
United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 96

« Return to General Metal Discussions