Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » Happy 51st Birthday, Black Sabbath
  • As I write this in the States, it is still 13 February, so I'm on-time with this acknowledgement.

On this date in 1970, "Black Sabbath," that iconic first album by, for my money's worth, one of Metal's best, dropped their first disc, the self-titled "Black Sabbath." Only a handful of months later, still in '70, "Paranoid" would be released.

As a young teenager, it was nothing but a source of mystery and wonder for my active imagination. Who was that witchy looking woman on the cover? Did we just disturb one of her rituals when that photo was taken? What is her intent? Does she worship the Devil? What's that creepy old building behind her? Yup! I completely over-thought the whole deal, but I had hours of fun doing it.

It probably says a lot more about me than I'm willing to admit that now, decades later at age 54, I'm still as much in love with this cover, the memories it evokes, and this band as I ever was. I still can't believe how a 20-something Ozzy managed to sound like a terrified old man on that title track.

Here's a great write-up on the Mapledurham Watermill, which is the name of the building in the background:

http://www.feelnumb.com/2011/09/13/blac ... -location/

Topics Solved: 0

The debut is my 4th favourite album of all time, especially the US version with Wicked World on it given that's my fav Sabbath song.

I only learned of Black Sabbath in 1998 (due to Metallica's cover of Sabbra Cadabra) and didn't hear them until 2000, but there's something particularly cool about hearing the beginnings of a genre or subgenre. That first era of heavy metal (& heavy psych) will always be one of the best. I'm young but thankfully not too young as I managed to see a bunch of bands from the era in concert over the past decade and a half.
    New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
    Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

^

People like you, the younger crowd, are and always will be the life's blood of Metal. You good folks keep the flame lit. You keep the name, memories, and such alive and well. As we age, it is comforting to know a newer group of younger Metalheads are out there, loving this music.

"Push my chair closer to the record player son, then turn up my hearing aid and we'll listen to some metal together!"

Yurei wrote:^

People like you, the younger crowd, are and always will be the life's blood of Metal. You good folks keep the flame lit. You keep the name, memories, and such alive and well. As we age, it is comforting to know a newer group of younger Metalheads are out there, loving this music.

And the next generation after me too. I'm nearly 37, but some of my youngest friends now in their early 20s have been playing in a band heavily influenced by Black Sabbath for some years now. That's how I got to know them of course!
    New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
    Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

It's both a beautiful circle and a beautiful cycle. At 37, I began getting into a lot of New York hardcore acts like Vision Of Disorder. VOD are awesome - may have to post some here,soon. I was (and still am) the "old dude at the a show" and I'll never change.

« Return to General Metal Discussions