Recommendations, Records, Collections, etc.
General Metal Discussions » At What Age Did You Start Listening to Metal?
  • Pulled this thread from Forces of Steel.

I first got into hard rock and heavy metal music half a decade ago when I received my first (and only) iPod. I was 16 years old at the time, and didn't know a whole lot. I had a source that provided me with some bands to enjoy, and so that was a good start if any for me. Bands like Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, Winger, Poison, Queen, Ratt, and Ozzy Osbourne.

I was never much into any other style of music, so rock/metal was what sounded best to me at the time (still is, of course, or else this place wouldn't have existed).

It didn't take me long to quickly move on to more metal bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Saxon. When I discovered the NWOBHM movement (thanks to Def Leppard's first album being considered as part of that era) that's when things got really good for me. Found out about bands like Cloven Hoof, Angel Witch, Satan, Venom, Persian Risk, and so forth. Fell in love with what I was hearing and from there on I discovered lots of thrash, death, and power metal.

The Internet (especially YouTube) helped get me into the music much quicker than, say, having to play the lottery by purchasing random magazines and CDs -- not knowing if any of the bands on them would be decent.
    United States (us) Male 

Topics Solved: 0

I Got into Hard Rock at the Age of 5 (Yes, I Know, Real Young) I Found My Dad's Old Cassettes and CDs
    Finding Bands Like Deep Purple, AC/DC, Ted Nugent & Rainbow, Then in 2002 (Let's Say) This Video Game Called "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" There's Radio Station on There Called V-Rock That Played Bands Like, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, Ozzy Osbourne and So on, So in 2004 or 5 i Say or Maybe 3, Not Sure, But My Brother Baught Metallica's "Black Album" and it Sounded Good

So in 2007 I'm Bassicly i'm 11 Years Old (I Think) my Brother Get's These Bands Like Possessed, Sepultura (Early), Necrophagia & Cannibal Corpse
    Then He Starts Getting Other Bands Like Venom, Napalm Death & Others So in 2008 i Look Up Video's on YouTube That These People Made That Were a Collage of Different Thrash Bands Like, Destruction, Sodom, Dark Angel, Vio-Lence and So on

Then Years Go Bye and i Kepts Watching These Vid's on YouTube With Other Genre's Like NWOBHM, Tygers, Saxon, Samson, Tank, Diamond Head (With the Help from My Brother), Praying Mantas, Then the Obscure Metal Bands, Strana Officina, Anvil, Exciter, Agent Steel, and So on...

I Can Go On With the List But This is as Far i'm Going

• 1 likes this

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbd.png
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) MaleYouTube 
    Name: Ben Smith

Topics Solved: 16

At 15, and guess with what album? ST.anger ;D

What can i say, i got caught in a metallica mania started by MTV when ST.anger came out, and that sent my ignorant teen age ass all the way back to Metallica's age of glory in the 80's, and the rest is just natural, started listening to Judas Priest, maiden, and all that, probably it happened to most of us too.

• 1 likes this
    Name: Edgar

I was 9 and the cassette I acquired was either Metallica's Kill'em All or Ride The Lightning, but I put my bet for the first mentioned.. needless to mention I wasn't so deep into the music back then for several years to come. My parents never liked any heavy metal or hard rock, most close thing was Beatles or Elvis, but they didn't understand 80's or 70's hard rock and heavy metal for that matter, and didn't like me listening it either (for several more years to come). So at this age I pretty much had to listen it low volume to prevent them storming into the room questioning my music taste.

It was pretty much just Metallica's first albums plus what I listened on the radio, of which I really only remember clearly liking Sepultura and trying to find it from local supermaket's music department, but they never had any of their albums.

It was long time 'till I actually bought something more than Metallica's first 3 albums on cassette.. next ones included Megadeth and Iron Maiden -- but it all really started to branch into numerous of more heavy metal bands through discovering Running Wild at age or 13 or 14 and eventually getting their whole back catalogue. Leading to many more known bands from Germany, UK, and US such as Rage, Grave Digger, Accept, Saxon, Judas Priest, Testament... eventually leading into more obscure stuff over the next one and half decade.

I'm 28 now.

• 1 likes this
    Name: Tane Norther

Was 13 in 2001 when I heard Judas Priest that got me hook forever, but I was actually starting to get into metal and hard rock even earlier then that it was Priest that got me hooked for life.

I was 17 when I started collecting cause it cheap (2$) an album.

I'm 24 now.

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar
    United States (us) Male  YouTube 
    Name: Zilversmit

I grew up with a mom who likes rock and a bit of metal so I guess from the day I was born.Deep Purple,Van Halen,Status Quo,Kiss etc. are bands she likes alot.At some point I discovered other music,mostly pop and listened to that for some years and didn't like my mom's music that much anymore.At the age of 14,I started to got my interest in rock music back and moved pretty fast into the awesome world of metal.I haven't left since!

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar
    Netherlands (nl) FemaleFemale

When I was 13, one of my nicknames at school was Harvester. Two of my classmates told me that Metallica was releasing a new album (Reload), and that they had a song called Harvester of Sorrow. So Reload was the first metal album I heard, and I still love it today.

Before that I had only heard talk about something called "heavy metal" on the TV news, and I thought it meant the instruments were literally heavy because they're made of steel or something. LoL

• 1 likes this
    New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
    Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

Bloopy wrote:When I was 13, one of my nicknames at school was Harvester. Two of my classmates told me that Metallica was releasing a new album (Reload), and that they had a song called Harvester of Sorrow. So Reload was the first metal album I heard, and I still love it today.

Ehm,as far as I know is that ''Harvester...'' is from the album And Justice For All.
    Random avatar

Must be at 14...... but that is ages ago
    FORUM MOD!
    Name: Nico

Topics Solved: 54

cannibalgoddess wrote:
    Bloopy wrote:When I was 13, one of my nicknames at school was Harvester. Two of my classmates told me that Metallica was releasing a new album (Reload), and that they had a song called Harvester of Sorrow. So Reload was the first metal album I heard, and I still love it today.

Ehm,as far as I know is that ''Harvester...'' is from the album And Justice For All.

I didn't say it wasn't. I should've said AJFA was the 2nd metal album I heard, because I acted on both of the things my classmates told me.
    New Zealand (nz) Male YouTube  
    Name: Paul

Topics Solved: 4

Bloopy wrote:
    cannibalgoddess wrote:

I didn't say it wasn't. I should've said AJFA was the 2nd metal album I heard, because I acted on both of the things my classmates told me.

I probably misread it. (cheers1)
    Random avatar

I was 13 (in 1993) and the album that did it for me was Ministry's "Psalm 69". I bet you've never heard anyone say that before!

• 1 likes this
    DMR
    United States (us) Male 

Started at 12-13 with Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Manowar etc. Got into Black/Death Metal at the age 15-16 and then found VENOM!
    I started to dig more into NWOBHM (as they was labeled) and found the fantastic SUNSET BLAZE tape - have been digging for underground jewels since then.

• 1 likes this
    Sweden (se) Male   YouTube  
    Name: Emil

Topics Solved: 1467

Well I got into TRUE Metal at age 16. I was dabbling in other junk around age 13.
    United States (us) Male

Let's see.. I started listening to Hard Rock/HeavyMetal around late 1987 which would make me ten years old. The first Hard Rock album I heard was Mötley Crüe's Shout At The Devil. From there I got cassette's of bands I wanted to check out anyway I could. Most of which was dubbed from a few friends collections before I had the money to buy the original copies. Other albums included Danzig (S/T),Def Leppard High N' Dry,Metallica Ride The Lightning & And Justice For All..,Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction, Anthrax Among The Living and Megadeth Peace Sells.. and So Far..So Good..So What! to name a few. Several of these were new releases at the time I started to discovery and explore music..

From there I gravitated deeper in to Thrash and in 1990 discovered the world of NWOBHM..

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male
    Name: Chris Ruiz

Actually I don't know.
    First time I felt like Heavy Metal was when I watched Manowar - Return of the Warlord in TV.
    I wanted to grab that song and all I got was Fighting the world, I think.
    I was about 12 or so. Of Course Motörhead and espacially AC/DC was known to me as I grew up with parents listening to these bands from time to time. As child, Queen was my favorite rock band.

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar
    Germany (de) Male

I should be around 10 years old when i got into Heavy Metal. My introduction was Manowar (i heard the song ''Mountains'' and loved it). I slowly got a few Manowar albums, then came Maiden, Saxon, Priest, Accept, Scorpions etc... A couple of years later a tape came to my possession that had Fistfull Of Metal'' by Anthrax on side A and ''Feel The Fire'' by Overkill on side B. I was AMAZED. Then i heard ''We Have Arrived'' and that was it. I fell in love with Thrash. I still remember my first vinyl order (there was no record store in my hometown with metal vinyls) from a second hand metal record store in Athens, i had seen a list in a magazine and baught some records listed in that list: Metallica - Ride The Lightning, Dark Angel - Darkness Descends, Overkill - Feel The Fire and Hallows Eve - Death And Insanity.

I was buying mostly thrash records for a couple of years plus a few classic stuff that i had on cassette form and a few Death Metal albums until another buy changed my life. It was Cirith Ungol - King Of The Dead. I felt like i found what was missing from my life... Then came Manilla Road, Jag Panzer, Queensryche, Liege Lord, Heir Apparent, Omen, Cities, Brocas Helm and so many more... it seemed like an amazing new world to discover... I will never forget the feeling of hearing those records for the first time and i do not think that i will ever live something similar again, pure magic....

Then was also the time that the True Metal (that later became Heavy Metal Collectors) magazine appeared, presenting all those obscure privately pressed 80's Metal treasures, coming with those bootleg cds, and that's when i found out about so many amazing bands, i've been searching for more 80's obscure Metal ever since...

• 1 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    Greece (gr) Male
    Name: Kostas

Topics Solved: 9

At the age of 16.

Painkiller was the first CD I bought!

• 1 likes this

I really only found what I liked about a year / year and a half ago. I may listen to classic rock and some 80's and early 90's mainstream metal (Metallica, but not anymore....), but I always loved the combination of the vocals and guitar riffs of hair metal. I always thought that mainstream was the only way and I couldn't have been any further from the truth. Mainstream sucks compared to what I listen to now. I got into what I like now, purely by mistake. I was at my dad's one evening around April / May 2011 when we were outside on the deck having dinner. "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo had come on the radio, and I thought it was a cool song. I Googled it later that night when I got home. I found that and then found a couple bands that covered it. Google led me to the Metal Militia blog site, Celtic Frost it was who did the cover. I admit, I hated their cover of it. I was curious and started looking other stuff of theirs on YouTube.

Got into them a little bit. I listen to a variety of metal now. I prefer NWOBHM and speed / power metal.

So now I enjoy these bands;

Witch Cross
    Avenger
    Axe Witch
    Seventh Son
    Millennium
    Cannon
    Razor

And tons more I like that only ever released one album or just a demo, other bands I don't like in general but they have a song or two that are amazing.

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar
    United States (us) Male

Great topic!

I can not tell exactly when I started listening to Metal, it just evolved. I grew up with parents listening to old style Rock n Roll, Country and Western (my Dad), German and Italian music (my Mom). When I was 11 in 1975 i started listening to music a bit seriously with Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Rory Gallagher, etc. thanks to my sister. Myself I discovered Queen whom I saw in concert in 1977. Short time later I was in to Judas Priest with their albums "Sad Wings of Destiny", "Stained Glass", and ultimately "Unleashed In The East". Then.... came NWOBHM!! From then on I was totally in to Heavy Metal. I saw many great bands in the early 80's, Iron Maiden with Paul Di'Anno (twice), Saxon, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Girlschool, Venom, More, etc.

I still discover great music from the early days and new stuff as well. It is great to be part of the Metal Community with people who share (trade) the great music that Metal is.

• 2 likes this

Gravibus manere. Heli temulentam. Mulierum mammas utamur.
    (Keep it Heavy, be drunk, enjoy boobies)

Personal Motto:

Modus et inordinatio in Metalinium
    (Method and Disorder the Metal way)

My 80's Metal Blog
    Bringer of Steel
    United States (us) Male 
    Name: Tony

Topics Solved: 3

« Return to General Metal Discussions