New Releases, Promotion, Reunions, Newcomers etc.
Metal News / Promotion » Pagan Altar - Final album - 'The Room Of Shadows' - to be released in August 2017 (NWOBHM, Doom Metal)
  • Pagan Altar Vocalist Terry Jones Passes Away

UK outfit Pagan Altar has issued the following announcement about vocalist Terry Jones passing away this morning:

"It is with great sadness to announce that Terry Jones of Pagan Altar finally lost his extremely brave battle with cancer this morning 15th May @ 10:15.

"Terry has been fighting this for the past year with me, Lynn and his family always by his side. You all know how much he loved performing and especially to all the wonderful PA Fans he had a pleasure to meet. We are all devastated by his loss and will miss him more than words can say.

"And we would like to thank you for your loyal support and love all these years. Always love you, Terry. The Time Lord is on his Travels."

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/de ... sid=113514

RIP, Terry. Thanks for all the great music.
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 98

Just heard about this late yesterday. Really sad. R.I.P., Terry...
    Random avatar
    United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 3

A huge loss.
    Terry had a unique voice.
    Rest In Peace = Αναπαύσου Εν Ειρήνη.
    Name: Sarissoforos

Topics Solved: 9

Absolutely awful. :( Thank you Terry!!! R.I.P.
    Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 65

Final Pagan Altar album - 'The Room Of Shadows' - to be released in August 2017

Doom Metal legends Pagan Altar will release their final album - 'The Room Of Shadows' - in August 2017.

http://www.templeofmystery.ca/final-pag ... gust-2017/
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Pagan Altar will release a new album on the 24th of August \m/

Last edited by RunningWild on 25 Jul 2017, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: topics merged
    Random avatar
    Banned
    Hungary (hu) Male

Topics Solved: 0

Listen to "Dance Of The Vampires" here: https://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2017/7 ... e-vampires
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Was lucky enough to receive a promo. It stands up with the rest of their catalogue. Terry Jones' vocals are great. He really pushed himself, even while knowing the end was near.

• 1 likes this
    Random avatar
    Australia (au) Male

Topics Solved: 2

Random avatar
    Australia (au) Male

Random avatar
    Australia (au) Male

I love Pagan Altar. They were and are a great band. Metal lost a giant with the passing of Terry Jones. But one thing that perplexes me, is why the band chose to prepare this release the way they did. It was posted on Pagan Altar's Facebook that the album was finished while Terry Jones was still alive. Alan Jones, Terry's son' posted, and I'm paraphrasing here, "If dad wanted it released, he would have released it," which intimated that he wasn't happy with the end result. Alan Jones said that the band was re-recording all the guitars, bass, and drums in order to do a proper release. I just wonder, considering Terry has passed, how would they know if he would have approved of this newest version. Obviously, I know that it is the band's business what they do and how they do it. I'm just mentioning it, because it was something that I was thinking about.
    United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 14

VardisRules wrote:I love Pagan Altar. They were and are a great band. Metal lost a giant with the passing of Terry Jones. But one thing that perplexes me, is why the band chose to prepare this release the way they did. It was posted on Pagan Altar's Facebook that the album was finished while Terry Jones was still alive. Alan Jones, Terry's son' posted, and I'm paraphrasing here, "If dad wanted it released, he would have released it," which intimated that he wasn't happy with the end result. Alan Jones said that the band was re-recording all the guitars, bass, and drums in order to do a proper release. I just wonder, considering Terry has passed, how would they know if he would have approved of this newest version. Obviously, I know that it is the band's business what they do and how they do it. I'm just mentioning it, because it was something that I was thinking about.

A valid thought.

News filtered out, shortly after Terry's passing, that the band were unhappy with the album as it was. Can't speak for them, but both Terry and Alan had said that they were both of one mind when it came to Pagan Altar's music; so it's possible that both Alan and Terry felt this way while Terry was alive, but his health issues understandably forced everything related to the album to be put on hold.

If Alan felt the album needed to be partially re-recorded to prepare it for release, then I'm sure he knew what he was doing. Those songs had their genesis shortly before Diccon and Andy joined the band, and they were, in Alan's words (paraphrasing) "the lineup that put the work in" on those songs.

By the way, it was only the rhythm guitars that got re-recorded (along with bass and drums), the lead guitars were kept from the early version.
    Random avatar
    Australia (au) Male

« Return to Metal News / Promotion