New Releases, Promotion, Reunions, Newcomers etc.
Metal News / Promotion » Metallica - news thread
Metallica 's Lars Ulrich killed bass on Justice album

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/intervie ... k_him.html
http://cdn.ustatik.com/article/interview/5/1095_ver0.jpg
Steve Thompson: 'When Lars Asked Me, What Happened to the Bass in '... Justice', I Wanted to Cold Cock Him'
date: 03/20/2015
Producer Steve Thompson's resume is so extensive, eclectic and filled with so many landmark recordings that you'd swear he is making it all up. But he isn't.

This native New Yorker has produced and/or mixed everything from Guns N' Roses' "Appetite For Destruction," Metallica's "...And Justice For All" and Korn's "Follow the Leader" and Soundgarden's "A-Sides" to Paul Simon's "Boy in the Bubble" and "Diamonds On the Soles of her Shoes" tracks, Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" and multiple songs for Aretha Franklin and Madonna. Along the way, he's also worked with Yoko Ono on the "Milk and Honey" album, RZA on Wu-Tang Clan's "Iron Fist" and Blues Traveler.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/steve_thompson_when_lars_asked_me_what_happened_to_the_bass_in__justice_i_wanted_to_cold_cock_him.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you mixed the tracks for Metallica's "...And Justice For All" album in 1988, was that a totally different experience than working on the "Appetite For Destruction" record?

Well, what I wanted to do and what Lars wanted to do was totally different, which kind of upset me a little bit. I loved Metallica and was very familiar with them. I said, "These guys are cool." We got the call to do it and went up to Bearsville Studios in upstate New York and the guys were on the Monsters of Rock Tour at the time. So what they would do is fly in by helicopter, a day here and a day there just to go through things.

Did the band know what kind of album they wanted to make and what they wanted it to sound like?

Lars knew exactly the sound and the parameters of everything he wanted on his drums. So he would actually bring his photos of a Klark Teknik's EQ [parametric equalizer] setup because he had a certain way he wanted the drums to sound. I said, "Michael [Barbiero], why don't you work with Lars and get the drum sound he's looking for? Call me when he's happy."

What did you think when you finally heard them?

They called me in and I listened to them and I said to myself, "These sound like a-s. Terrible sounding." I chased everybody out of the room and redesigned the drum sound and brought the guitars up. Jason [Newsted] killed it on bass. Perfect marriage with Hetfield's guitars.

Tell me about some of the gear you used with Metallica?

We mixed the album at Bearsville Studios in New York. The console was an SSL G Series with Ultimation. We used Neve EQs; Pultec EQP and MEQs; AMS delays and reverbs; and we used Lexicon on drums. All the Pultec LA2A and LA3As. Mixdown was definitely 48-tracks so there were two Studer multi-track machines and quite possibly they were A800 machines. We used a Studer A80 1" for mixdown at 30ips. When Lars recorded the drums, he used a Clark Tekniks EQ parametric.

Was James happy with what you were doing?

I'm putting all the other stuff up and everything like this and Hetfield gives a thumbs up. Lars comes walking in a couple minutes later and listens to about a minute of it and goes, "Turn that off" and I said, "What's the problem?" He said, "What happened to my drum sound?" I said, "You were serious?" or something like that.

Lars was not happy?

We had to get the drum sound up the way he had it. I wasn't a fan of it. So now he goes, "See the bass guitar?" and I said, "Yeah, great part, man. He killed it." He said, "I want you to bring down the bass where you can barely, audibly hear it in the mix." I said, "You're kidding. Right?"

He wasn't kidding?

He said, "No. Bring it down." I bring it down to that level and he says, "Now drop it down another 5 db." I turned around and looked at Hetfield and said, "He's serious?" It just blew me away.

What did you do?

I called my manager that night and I think I talked to Cliff Burnstein and Peter Mensch [Metallica's managers] and said, "I love these guys. I think they're amazing and they've created a genre of their own but I do not agree with the direction Lars is pulling me in. My name's gonna go on it so why don't you find somebody else?" My manager wouldn't have anything to do with that or Burnstein or Mensch.

But you were ready to walk away from mixing Metallica?

They talked me into being there and my only regret is that we didn't have enough time to at least mix it the way we heard it. I wanted to take "Master of Puppets" and blow that away. That was my sonic direction for "... And Justice For All." It was all there but I think they were looking for more garagey-type sound without bass. And the bass was great; it was perfect. I remember when Metallica got elected to the Hall of Fame, they flew us out and I'm sitting with Lars.

Did you talk to him?

He goes, "Hey, what happened to the bass in "... Justice?" He actually asked me that. I wanted to cold cock him right there. It was a shame because I'm the one getting the sh-t for the lack of bass.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 345

Metallica: The Night Before - Live from AT&T Park, San Francisco, CA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYCq51wIR9g
2/6/16 AT&T Park, San Francisco, CA

Saturday night at 8:30 PM PST, a free FullHD 1080p Stream of Metallica Live from AT&T Park in San Francisco.

Watch live on your Mac, PC, or mobile device or watch on demand for 24 hours.
https://youtu.be/NYCq51wIR9g
Scheduled for Feb 6, 2016
Preparations are in full swing for The Night Before, the big show in our hometown of San Francisco at AT&T Park. The concert has been sold out for months, but we don’t want anyone to be left out! If you can’t join us in person do the next best thing and catch the free live webstream direct from the Bay Area on February 6, 2016.

http://webcast.livemetallica.com/?utm_c ... emetallica

• 1 likes this
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 98

Metallica - 'Kill 'Em All' & 'Ride The Lightning': Remastered & Reissued

A while back you may remember that we reached out to you for a little help as we began putting together reissues of both 'Kill ‘Em All' and 'Ride The Lightning'. We are psyched to announce that the releases you’ve been helping us assemble will finally be hitting the streets on Friday, April 15 just in time for Record Store Day!

Both albums have been remastered for the most advanced sound quality possible and will be available in three formats – CD, vinyl and a deluxe box set. The deluxe box sets include original source material from the band’s personal collection with many never before heard or seen recordings along with books including rare photos and essays from those who were there.

The deluxe numbered box set of 'Kill ‘Em All' includes four vinyl records, five CDs, one DVD, a hardcover book including rare photos and a patch while the deluxe numbered box set of 'Ride The Lightning' includes four vinyl records, six CDs, one DVD, a hardcover book including more of those unseen photos, a mini-book of lyrics handwritten by James Hetfield and a set of three posters. The deluxe box sets are limited edition collectors’ items, so get yours before they are gone! You may pre-order both deluxe box sets at the Met Store now and all six new items will, of course, also be available at your local record stores around the world on Friday, April 15th.

We’re excited to continue working our way through the catalog… this is just the beginning!

https://metallica.com/blog/news/384030/ ... d-reissued
United Kingdom (uk) Male

These guys...
easternthunder, thanks for posting this and reminding me how Metallica are in it for the money.

a bunch of the bonus stuff is what we already have from bootlegs / downloads, but they do not mention if what they offer are soundboard or audience recordings.

Are the vinyl (and CD's) "remastered" from the original studio tapes? or do we expect new "brickwalled" copies from previous CD versions?

The DVD: METALLICA LIVE AT THE METRO IN CHICAGO ON AUGUST 12TH, 1983 is missing audio from the first 3 tracks?
Isn't the bootleg audio shared here and on Youtube ?
Metallica do not have the money to get a producer to clean up the sound,and synch up the audio to the video?
Laziness by them and their label.
I can't say this is a complete ripoff. Just disappointing it was not done better.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Excellent and pertinent points, CS. The lack of clarity on the source material in these sets is disappointing, and the whole shebang seems - as you rightly mention - purely a money-making exercise. These 2 albums (and 'Master Of Puppets') deserve more than this shoddy package. It really is a wasted opportunity.
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Metallica - Hardwired... To Self-Destruct [Available Everywhere on November 18,2016]
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Metallica_Hardwired..._To_Self-Destruct_2016.jpeg
The tracklist has been revised for the next METALLICA album .

https://metallica.com/blog/news/432106/hardwired-deluxe-sets-update
September 15, 2016 News

"Guess what?!? It’s DONE! We have put the finishing touches on our next album Hardwired…To Self-Destruct and are looking forward to the next phase of unleashing it to the world, waking the monster that is Metallica and hitting the road. As we were in the 11th hour of wrapping it up it dawned on us that we have never shared with you in any sort of cohesive “official” manner the extensive covers we have worked on since Death Magnetic. While digging into the bonus options to compliment the 12-song album with additional material, we realized that none of our versions of these songs from some of our favorite and most respected artists have been readily available on our very own Blackened Recordings. So with that said, we’re here to tell you about some changes we’ve made to the deluxe versions of Hardwired... in place of the previously announced “Riff Origins.”

The 2016 version of "Lords of Summer” from the studio in its full glory as originally promised is still included, but now we’ve added the “Ronnie Rising Medley,” originally only available only on the Ronnie James Dio – This Is Your Life tribute album, along with the Iron Maiden cover of “Remember Tomorrow” rounded out by Deep Purple’s “When A Blind Man Cries.” And by the way all of these tracks have been recently re-mastered for optimum 2016 sound quality. Just for fun (and because there was room!) the special set we did at Rasputin’s in Berkeley, CA on Record Store Day 2016 to celebrate the reissues of Kill ‘Em All and Ride The Lightning is here all re-mixed and mastered.

Lastly we had such an amazing time being a part of the first weekend of events ever held at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis last month. It was an honor and a thrill to test out “Hardwired” live there and we just had to commemorate the debut by including the recording from that night here.

Check out the updated tracklisting below"

Deluxe Edition (Digital Download & CD)
Disc One
Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
Now That We’re Dead
Moth Into Flame
Dream No More
Halo On Fire
Disc Two
Confusion
ManUNkind
Here Comes Revenge
Am I Savage?
Murder One
Spit Out the Bone
Disc Three (Bonus)
Lords of Summer (2016)
Ronnie Rising Medley
When a Blind Man Cries
Remember Tomorrow
Helpless (Live at Rasputin Music)
Hit the Lights (Live at Rasputin Music)
The Four Horsemen (Live at Rasputin Music)
Ride the Lightning (Live at Rasputin Music)
Fade to Black (Live at Rasputin Music)
Jump in the Fire (Live at Rasputin Music)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (Live at Rasputin Music)
Creeping Death (Live at Rasputin Music)
Metal Militia (Live at Rasputin Music)
Hardwired (Live in Minneapolis)

Deluxe Box Set (3LP + 1CD)
Disc One Side A
Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
Now That We’re Dead
Disc One Side B
Moth Into Flame
Am I Savage?
Halo On Fire
Disc Two Side C
Confusion
Dream No More
ManUNkind
Disc Two Side D
Here Comes Revenge
Murder One
Spit Out the Bone
Disc Three Side E (Bonus)
Lords of Summer (2016)
Disc Three Side F (Bonus)
Hardwired (Live in Minneapolis)
Bonus CD
Ronnie Rising Medley
When a Blind Man Cries
Remember Tomorrow
Helpless (Live at Rasputin Music)
Hit the Lights (Live at Rasputin Music)
The Four Horsemen (Live at Rasputin Music)
Ride the Lightning (Live at Rasputin Music)
Fade to Black (Live at Rasputin Music)
Jump in the Fire (Live at Rasputin Music)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (Live at Rasputin Music)
Creeping Death (Live at Rasputin Music)
Metal Militia (Live at Rasputin Music)

What WAS to be on it -
Disc Three (Deluxe Edition Only)
Lords Of Summer
Riff Charge (Riff Origins)
N.W.O.B.H.M. A.T.M. (Riff Origins)
Tin Shot (Riff Origins)
Plow (Riff Origins)
Sawblade (Riff Origins)
RIP (Riff Origins)
Lima (Riff Origins)
91 (Riff Origins)
MTO (Riff Origins)
RL72 (Riff Origins)
Frankenstein (Riff Origins)
CHI (Riff Origins)
X Dust (Riff Origins)

Maybe they will sell the Riff Origins CD in the future, in a fancan or something on their website?

The planned cover art, is similar to another band's album cover. Weird.
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/was-metallica-new-album-cover-inspired-by-crowbar-odd-fellows-rest/
http://assets.blabbermouth.net/media/metallicacrobarcovers_638.jpg

In my opinion, this is one of the dumbest and ugliest covers ever made, and this is why it rules!
METAL ain't supposed to be high brow art !

Back in the early-mid 1980's, a lot of great heavy metal had stupid and ugly cover art, but nobody cared.
For example,
When SLAYER's "Show No Mercy" LP hit the record racks at stores, I was just one of many who said "what is this cheezy looking shit? Looks like I drew this in Grade 6!", but when flipped to the back cover, seen the cool photos and song titles, then the realization was - "hey, this could be pretty cool like VENOM".

I enjoyed DEATH MAGNETIC, and the new video seems to continue in the real thrash metal vein.
I have read other websites / comments criticizing it. meh.
Metallica have done some stupid, weak, sell-out shit over the years, but maybe the Big Four tours reignited the original spark.
Metallica: Hardwired
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Might be one of the ugliest metal album artworks ever made. "Let's butcher our logo, fuse all our faces together and run it through a cheap rainbow filter, that'll make them take us seriously again!"

• 1 likes this
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

Agree, it went all the way ugly but not in the "So Bad It's Good" direction. It looks like a random piece from a giant pile of the 90's THUNDERDROM hardcore techno CDs.
Name: Kirill

Topics Solved: 27

Metallica: Moth Into Flame (Official Music Video)
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

That second single is way better than the first. Art is equally awful though.

http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/MET_MothIntoFlame-FINAL.jpg
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

damn, that's so bad, looks like the artwork of a brutal grindcore album, you know.. the ones with piles of shit and toilets in it
Romania (ro) Male
Name: Richard

Topics Solved: 9

Won't be buying this. Once more the music industry try to hype the hell out of a band who should have called it a day after Metallica came out! How can a band who were so amazing have lost it this badly?

• 1 likes this
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 0

drterror666 wrote:Won't be buying this. Once more the music industry try to hype the hell out of a band who should have called it a day after Metallica came out! How can a band who were so amazing have lost it this badly?

Couldn't agree more.
United States (us) Male

Hardwired is a fantastic double album \m/ Thank you James, Lars, Kirk and Rob \m/
Random avatar
Banned
Hungary (hu) Male

Davey999777 wrote:Hardwired is a fantastic double album \m/ Thank you James, Lars, Kirk and Rob \m/

really?
can i ask how old you are? because me being a fan since 1985/86, I am kind of disappointed. There are only a handful of good tracks over the 3 cd's. Glad I did not buy it.

EDIT:
I say 85/86, because a friend played their LP, "Kill Em All" for me at his house in December '83 or early 1984, and I thought it was pretty cool, but forgot about it.
Then in the summer of '84 he keeps playing their "new song" he taped off the radio "For Whom the Bell Tolls", and I thought it was shit and didn't want to ever hear anything by them again.
If later, I didn't hear "Fight Fire with Fire" on a college station and then buy the RTL Lp in '85, maybe would still think they were a shit band!
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

I am 35 years old :) I waited this album since 1996... I think, Load was the last good Metallica album... and after that Hardwired 20 years later... (My favourite Metallica albums: Kill, Load/Hardwired and Master)

I can understand your reason, why you don't like the new album, and i respect that \m/
Random avatar
Banned
Hungary (hu) Male

Metallica's James Hetfield admits he wasn't into 'Load' / 'Reload’ era

Nov. 27, 2017
Metallica frontman James Hetfield admitted in a new interview with Clash Music that he wasn't "100 percent" into the era of the band that produced the Load and Reload albums, calling it a "compromise" that he didn't necessarily agree with.

read more at http://www.kshe95.com/real-rock-news/metallicas-james-hetfield-admits-he-wasnt-load-reload-era
Canada (ca) Male 

DAVE MUSTAINE Refuses To Give LARS ULRICH Credit For Songs MEGADETH Leader Claims He Wrote In His Pre-METALLICA Band
February 8, 2018
Last November, Mustaine revealed that he was contacted by METALLICA frontman James Hetfield two years earlier about "officially" releasing "No Life Till Leather" with "27 tracks, pics, the whole enchilada," but, he said, "the talks broke down because Lars wanted credit on two songs I wrote every note and word to. I have the texts. I passed."

Earlier today (Thursday, February 8), Mustaine was asked by a fan on Twitter if the disagreement over song authorship is the reason METALLICA refuses to play any more shows featuring the so-called "Big Four" of 1980s thrash metal. He responded: "Who knows. I ain't giving my songwriting credit to Lars for songs I wrote in PANIC," a reference to the band Dave was in before he joined METALLICA.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dave-mustaine-refuses-to-give-lars-ulrich-credit-for-songs-megadeth-leader-claims-he-wrote-in-his-pre-metallica-band/
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male 

Fuck Metallica. Who cares about them anymore?!? They've sucked ass since Cliff died.
Banned
United States (us) Male
Name: Mikael Vaalkoth

Topics Solved: 6

« Return to Metal News / Promotion