Lossless [NWOBHM] » More (UK) - Warhead (1981) [Lossless AIFF Vinyl Rip]
  • http://i.imgur.com/xz8uZXa.png

Artist: More
    Release: Warhead
    Genre: NWOBHM
    Bitrate: AIFF
    Hidden Link
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is one of the few NWOBHM bands, that was lucky enough to be signed to a major label early on in their existence. For this reason, the production on this record is superior to the majority of the NWOBHM releases that existed at the time. Only those few bands that were picked up by MCA early on had production values to rival this release. This album was released on Atlantic Records in 1981. The U.S. version contained 8 tracks, while the European release added another track. My copy is the U.S. pressing. It was the only More album to feature Paul Mario Day (ex-Iron Maiden) on vocals. Day eventually left the band, just prior to the release of More's only other album, "Blood and Thunder." He would go on to team up with ex-members of Weapon to form Wildfire and release a few records on the Mausoleum label. This release has some pretty nice riffing for 1981. My album scans are included. Hope you like this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Road Rocket
    2. Fire
    3. Soldier
    4. Depression
    5. Warhead
    6. Way Of The World
    7. We Are The Band
    8. I Have No Answers
    United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 15

That's a shame that the US saw fit to drop "Lords Of Twilight" from the album. I saw More a couple of times in 1981, and both times they played a blinder. The first time they were supporting Krokus and their live set focused on the 'Warhead' album. The second time they were headlining on their Atomic Rock Show tour, and their set was evenly split between 'Warhead' numbers and new songs. The new songs were stunning, so it's a great pity that none of them made it onto 'Blood And Thunder'. I guess they decided to drop them after Paul Mario Day quit the band.
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 144

easternthunder wrote:That's a shame that the US saw fit to drop "Lords Of Twilight" from the album. I saw More a couple of times in 1981, and both times they played a blinder. The first time they were supporting Krokus and their live set focused on the 'Warhead' album. The second time they were headlining on their Atomic Rock Show tour, and their set was evenly split between 'Warhead' numbers and new songs. The new songs were stunning, so it's a great pity that none of them made it onto 'Blood And Thunder'. I guess they decided to drop them after Paul Mario Day quit the band.

You are right easternthunder:I have both the German (8 tracks) and the American (9 tracks) pressings of this magnificent LP.
    Paul Mario Day, what a singer!Talented perfomers like Paul are no more nowadays. :(
    Name: Sarissoforos

Topics Solved: 9

Prince Hector wrote:Paul Mario Day, what a singer!Talented perfomers like Paul are no more nowadays. :(

Spot on, bro. PMD was just as good live as he was in the studio. Excellent singer and frontman.
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

easternthunder wrote:
    Prince Hector wrote:Paul Mario Day, what a singer!Talented perfomers like Paul are no more nowadays. :(

Spot on, bro. PMD was just as good live as he was in the studio. Excellent singer and frontman.

I know he was the first lead singer of IRON MAIDEN.
    I would trade my right testicle, just to have high quality recordings with Paul Mario Day, behind the IRON MAIDEN's microphone.
    (hehe)
    Name: Sarissoforos

Topics Solved: 9

Prince Hector wrote:
    easternthunder wrote:

I know he was the first lead singer of IRON MAIDEN.
    I would trade my right testicle, just to have high quality recordings with Paul Mario Day, behind the IRON MAIDEN's microphone.
    (hehe)

You're lucky your private parts will remain intact, cause PMD didn't record anything with Maiden (:D) , the same as Dan Wilcox. Di Anno was the first one who recorded something with them.

Second More is pretty awful. This new singer rewrote songs that PMD wrote or was involved with.
    Bringer of Steel

Topics Solved: 63

Thanks a lot - am interested in contrasting the vinyl with the CD sound, cheers.
    Random avatar
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 0

ozfactor wrote:...am interested in contrasting the vinyl with the CD sound...

Well, if you have the Rock Candy CD reissue, this vinyl rip will definitely sound better. (I haven't downloaded it - I already have the original UK issue LP - but VardisRules always makes quality rips.) The Rock Candy reissue sounds OK for the first two tracks; after that it sounds like a badly warped LP with atrocious speed fluctuations. I queried this with Rock Candy, but they didn't bother to reply...

• 1 likes this
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Thanks for the compliment on my vinyl rips, Eastern Thunder. A lot of people think that the Rock Candy CDs are great. I don't agree. I actually agree with you. Many of the same people who swear by the Rock Candy issues also rip apart the Krescendo Records CD issues. While I agree that some of Krescendo's releases aren't that great, I did compare my Krescendo issue of Dark Star on CD with the Rock Candy issue, and the Krescendo release sounds much better. I even prefer my Lost Gems issue of Chevy's "The Taker" over the Rock Candy issue. The Lost Gems copy states that it is a direct-from-vinyl transfer, which is always OK by me. Therefore it's not compressed, due to a screwed up attempt at remastering, like the Rock Candy version. We actually prefer vinyl rips on this blog anyway. The only thing making the Rock Candy issue of the Chevy disc worth buying is the bonus 7" tracks that are included.
    United States (us) Male

Credit where it's due, VR, and your rips are consistently excellent.

I'm quite fortunate in that I was around for the start of the NWOBHM explosion, so I've got a lot of original vinyl that I can rip if necessary, including Chevy's and Dark Star's releases. As for CD reissues of Chevy, my personal favourite is the Rubicon Music 2-CD Japan reissue. It has the bonus tracks you mention plus a second disc of two BBC 'In Concert' broadcasts. My favourite Dark Star CD reissue is the 1993 Canyon International Japan release. It's got all the studio bonus tracks that the Rock Candy reissue has, but it's not brickwalled to death like so many recent releases.
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

I was too young to experience the NWOBHM when it first started. It also didn't help that I lived in Pennsylvania. (facepalm) For the first half of the 80s, I was 10-15 and didn't have the disposable income to afford all the music that was wanting. Now, I make enough to afford what I want. It really wasn't until the late 80s that I was able to accumulate some of what I wanted a little at a time. I downloaded the Japanese issue of Dark Star for the bonus tracks. I'm happy with my Lost Gems issue of the Chevy, however I wouldn't mind having the 2nd disc of that set for the BBC releases. I actually have the Wounded Bird issues of both of the More releases. They both sound very good. Many consider the Wounded Bird releases to be bootlegs, but I think that the company acquired rights from Atlantic/WEA to release the CDs. On all the copies that I have, the CDs have WEA printed on the inside of the readable portion of the discs. It's done the same way as Atlantic and East/West CD releases. I especially noticed this when comparing Atlantic versions of the Loudness CDs to their Wounded Bird reissues. Anyway, the Wounded Bird releases sound very good. I've analyzed the More, Trash, Highway Chile, Vandenberg, and a few others. It's almost like Wounded Birds took the original 80s issue of discs and only boosted the volume before re-pressing them. But they didn't boost it anywhere near the point where it clipped the waves. Some of their CD reissues, however, I know were never original issued by Atlantic in the 80s. I don't know what approach they took on these, but they sound very nice.
    United States (us) Male

Yeah, I agree on this one. Wounded Bird's More reissues are pretty good. Pity they don't include Atomic Rock.
    I bought Rock Candy's Armored Saint's March of The Saint and it's compressed to death. I wonder do these people, who remaster, listen music at home music. I pretty much doubt that.
    Bringer of Steel

easternthunder wrote:
    ozfactor wrote:...am interested in contrasting the vinyl with the CD sound...

easternthunder wrote: The Rock Candy reissue sounds OK for the first two tracks; after that it sounds like a badly warped LP with atrocious speed fluctuations. I queried this with Rock Candy, but they didn't bother to reply...

This is what I had noticed with the CD - from the third track onwards it sounds 'wobbly'. I can hear this 'wobble' on the intro to 'Soldier'.
    Up till now hearing opinions from others on here, I thought it was just my ears! :P

This rip is much appreciated - thanks.
    Random avatar
    United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 0

I actually really like "Blood and Thunder." The singer really wails on it, and at times he sounds similar to Robert Plant or Dave King from Fastway. He is definitely different from Paul Mario Day, but he is still very good. Some of the songs are really raucous, while others are more hard rock oriented.

As for the Armored Saint-March of the Saint, I really like the old Metal Blade CD issue from the mid 90s.
    United States (us) Male

VardisRules wrote:
    As for the Armored Saint-March of the Saint, I really like the old Metal Blade CD issue from the mid 90s.

Yeah, MB released the whole discography. 1995 cd's are awesome.I have them and they're not compressed at all, quite good sound actually.
    Bringer of Steel

New link added.

• 1 likes this
    United States (us) Male

I saw Paul Mario Day when he toured Australia in the late 80s with Steve Priest's SWEET (R.I.P Steve) and was not very impressed. I love the guy, and I love SWEET (early) but they really SUCKED live. Warhead is one of my favourite albums of the early 80s
    Bringer of Steel
    Australia (au) Male
    Name: Kenny T

Topics Solved: 29

What I always heard about Paul Mario Day is that he has a great voice on album and live, but he lacks in stage presence. I can't really say for sure that this is the case, but the video that was posted of the Wildfire appearance on ECT does seem to support this.

• 1 likes this
    United States (us) Male

A new link has been added.

• 3 likes this
    United States (us) Male

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to Lossless [NWOBHM]