FORUM RULES

Help and support questions only

Support » Moderators, need some help...
  • I'm not sure what Running Wild's issue is, but he keeps giving me negative reputation points because I'm not clicking the thumbs up or the thank you button.

HOWEVER... I am posting a thank you, which shows the link. In the past it has always been acceptable to just post a "thanks". I'm getting a little sick of getting negative points from someone who is not a moderator and thinks they're the board policeman. I sent one of the mods an email about this the 1st time he did it, but never heard back. This is getting a little old....
    Random avatar
    United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 0

m5570 wrote:I'm not sure what Running Wild's issue is, but he keeps giving me negative reputation points because I'm not clicking the thumbs up or the thank you button.

I can tell you what my issue is: I don´t like spammers and leeches. Obviously you are a good example for both of them.

m5570 wrote:HOWEVER... I am posting a thank you, which shows the link. In the past it has always been acceptable to just post a "thanks".

You got it, that´s exactly the point: You are spamming a "thanks" on purpose just to see the so-called hidden link!
    You never give any good reputation to the uploader. That´s what we label leeching.
    Let´s just check the 3 spamming posts I gave you negative reputation at:
    • Did you give any thanks NeeleSteele for doing a great job on his lossless Picture (Nld) Vinyl Rip? - No you didn´t, just spamming & leeching.
    • Any reputation point for Jasonkont´s Sword bootleg? - No! Just spamming & leeching.
    • Any usable thanks for VardisRules´s lossless Trouble bootleg? - No! Just spamming & leeching.
    • And what about the rest of your 495 posts? - Most of them look like massive spamming, though I didn´t inspect them for leeching.

Next issue you´re wrong at: Spamming & leeching has not been acceptable in the past, mostly it was just not punished (with a few exceptions when Emil lost his nerve with some spammers). - Accepted versus not punished - that´s something completely different!

Just read the RULES:
    $5 THANK FOR POSTS - THANK BUTTON
    $5.1 ▸Don't spam/flood the forums! use the "Thanks for post" button if you want to see the link.

And here´s the rule for leeching:
    $1.11 ▸Unthankful bastards can go fuck themselves!

Seems you don´t care about them at all, do you?
    ► Just don´t spam thanks, but use the [Thank for Post] button instead, it´s so simple - isn´t it?
    The rules are well-considered and reasoned. Their aim is not to displease forum members!

Let me explain: Most power-uploaders don´t watch their posts frequently just to see the generic post some spammers left.
    But - they will always check their reputation once indicated in the menu bar. Put your comment (if any) in the [Optional Notes] field of the reputation form. Be asssured, the uploader will read it - your reply in the post will stay unnoticed, most likely.

There´s another point in avoiding spaming posts - and this one affects all downloaders:
    Imagine an old post with a broken link and with 7 pages of meaningless "thanks".
    Do you think it´s comfortable to step through all these irrelevant spam, just to find the re-up link on page 5? - Did you ever think about this?

m5570 wrote:I'm getting a little sick of getting negative points from someone who is not a moderator and thinks they're the board policeman.

You´re right, this someone is not a moderator - so what? - I´m just a plain uploader - but what is your status?
    If it would be Downloader, by just giving proper thanks (through reputation points to show respect for the uploader´s work) - nothing more, this would be fine to me, but you just think you know it better then the rest of us.
    Hmm, this makes you sick, really? - Well sorry, but spamming and leeching makes me sick.

Btw, just to recall: I´m not as harsh as some other users are.
    About a month ago, I gave you a warning: One single negative reputation and explained extensively what you´re expected to do ("give thanks").
    See other examples (e.g. here), how fast someone can be banned for spamming and flooding - without any hint what someone´s doing wrong.
    You had enough time to change your behavior - but you simply didn´t.
    You just kept on spamming and leeching thus causing more negative reputation - so why are you complaining?

And remember, I recommended to you for your own sake:
    "Please give thanks in any post so far you stole the download link at, or other negative reputation points may follow."
    I didn´t penalize any of your violations done before the first warning - but I´m not sure what others will do… (pissed)

The fact is: You never contributed anything to this forum (not a single upload), but spammed and leeched over 400 times!

m5570 wrote:I sent one of the mods an email about this the 1st time he did it, but never heard back. This is getting a little old....

Quite interesting, let´s see what they think about it. I´m also curious how other users will make up their mind.
    Let´s see if your reputation will grow with your attitude… (It´s still good with +16 as of now.) → Good luck!

Hey, and please stop spamming & leeching … otherwise the watchdog will bite you again! ;) (irondevil)

People like you make me
    RunningWild

• 5 likes this
    Austria (at) Male

Topics Solved: 931

Even Strappado, back in Dec 2014, has agreed that all of this posting "Thank you" only, was a problem.
    read A bunch of dudes saying thanks... viewtopic.php?f=119&t=19078

I am not a moderator, have not requested "uploader" or any kind of status, but I will give negative points for this.
    Reasons why (which are in the rules) have been talked about in different topics here for months.

There is no point in having pages and pages of "thank you's", and then when a member who uploads a new link, has that post buried in between.

• 1 likes this
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 345

I also consider a good idea to mark negative in this. But I want know the motive to I receive this negative lot immense if I didn't nothing. In a posting I only have suggested to some user to place sites with pirate CD shops because I became interested in a great compilation CD of a amazing NWOBHM band. This is not "flooding". It is "flooding" a user to write shit, or all moment to write same things in postings at forum.

• 1 likes this
    Name: Arthurzinho

Topics Solved: 2

thank you!!!

• 3 likes this
    Iran (ir) Male
    Name: Al

Topics Solved: 28

this place is turning into a mess !

Seems like a lot of Brazilian natives are messing with the forum. If Emil wants, I can translate the rules to brazilian portuguese. Maybe that can help with those members which don't know the basic english.

• 1 likes this
    FORUM MOD!
    Brazil (br) Male 
    Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

I don't speak english, but I understand perfectly forum rules. I don't understand because a big negative points about me. I had a account here before, but I forgot my password. New members are not welcome here.
    Name: Arthurzinho

I was just thinking to be active again on the forum but it seems that things are getting worse instead...let's see...

• 3 likes this
    Name: Marco

Topics Solved: 70

nonseinormale65 wrote:I was just thinking to be active again on the forum but it seems that things are getting worse instead...let's see...

& now some fag called "nonseinormale65" has given me bad rep points. FUCK OFF!

-8 reputation votes
    Random avatar
    United States (us) Male

Here's my 3 posts that got me the bad rep points...

viewtopic.php?p=148248#p148248
    thank you!

viewtopic.php?p=148070#p148070
    Whoa! Looks cool! Thanx!

viewtopic.php?p=146878#p146878
    thank you!

So yeah, I spammed by saying THANK YOU!

What's the difference between actually TELLING SOMEONE YOU APPRECIATE THEIR UPLOAD vs clicking the Thank you button?

And if I'm wrong, then why does it show the link if you post? It's NOT like I'm just random posting w/o saying THANK YOU...

This is the same BS that caused Thrashmaggedon to go down hill. People that aren't mods think they're the policemen of the board and are attcking members who are saying "THANK YOU" because they appreciate members posts & fucktards are hanging on technicalities to give them negative points.
    Random avatar
    United States (us) Male

m5570 wrote:Here's my 3 posts that got me the bad rep points...

viewtopic.php?p=148248#p148248
    thank you!

viewtopic.php?p=148070#p148070
    Whoa! Looks cool! Thanx!

viewtopic.php?p=146878#p146878
    thank you!

So yeah, I spammed by saying THANK YOU!

What's the difference between actually TELLING SOMEONE YOU APPRECIATE THEIR UPLOAD vs clicking the Thank you button?

And if I'm wrong, then why does it show the link if you post? It's NOT like I'm just random posting w/o saying THANK YOU...

This is the same BS that caused Thrashmaggedon to go down hill. People that aren't mods think they're the policemen of the board and are attcking members who are saying "THANK YOU" because they appreciate members posts & fucktards are hanging on technicalities to give them negative points.

That was the way it used to be, where you had to write thanks, because at the start of this site (when I wasn't here) there was zero input, and people visiting to grab downloads and then re-upload all the stuff taken from here on their own blogs and forums without contributing back.
    Typing thanks must have been a way to slow that down.

The man who owns this website/forum himself agreed with other active members
    A bunch of dudes saying thanks... viewtopic.php?f=119&t=19078

Since Strappado has been busy, or can't change the html script, that is why regular members and uploaders who are pissed off about the spamming, have taken action.

A few are refusing to just click the green thumbs or thanks button, but the thousands of other members here don't have a problem doing that.

• 2 likes this
    Canada (ca) Male 

Topics Solved: 345

It seems you guys are kind of overreacting toward m5570, on the verge of getting personal. I'm not an old member here but clearly remember not only the meaningful comments and questions from him but some links he provided instead of the dead ones. So this is definitely not fair to call dude a "leech".

Still I have to agree, all those "thank you"s are pain in the eyes to look through the pages of this board.

• 3 likes this
    Name: Kirill

Topics Solved: 27

This is turning into a confusing situation. To my undestanding, the forum is meant to be a platform for healthly discussion of music, so saying just "Thank You" can be considered spamming because it does not add anything to the discussion. But what about "Thank you, I was searching for this for ages!"

Is that enough to be considered relevant to discussion? Or it's still spam? The problem is, we don't have a clear definition of what's spam and what's not. Imagine how forum members can act and react very differently:

-A leecher who never post anything relevant, just spamming thank you: of course this is bad and deserves negatives.
    -An active member, who likes to discuss in the forum, but ocassionally wants to do more than clicking on a button to give thanks, and ends up posting "thank you": you can see this member isn't a leecher, but can be a bit annoying sometimes.
    -People who see "Thank You!" spam and don't care much for the spam
    -People who see "Thank You!" spam and overreacts, gets mad about it.

I agree that leechers and spam are major problems but not everyone here who spams is a leecher. Perhaps the forum could undergo a "maintenance time" for the problem, cleaning all the spam but not giving negatives to everyone. People who clearly are leechers could be warned or even banned, but those guys who aren't so bad, well, nothing that a polite PM won't do, I think. The after this maintenance time, then we could start giving negative for spam.

I don't know if this is viable, it's just my idea about this. It shouldn't get so personal.

• 4 likes this
    Brazil (br) Male
    Name: Fyt Tigersharq

Nice to see a few more level headed responses come in to the discussion, and i think FytTigersharq's suggestion of a proposed 'maintenance time' clean up could prove to be a good idea if it's possible to implement such a thing.
    Whilst i understand the frustrations & reasoning behind the hard line that's being taken regarding 'spamming' & 'leeching', i'm not personally on board with the approach being taken by some users to address the problem.
    I also feel that some of the interactions have crossed the line & become too personal, whilst i appreciate the initial reasoning for adopting this 'zero tolerance' policy.
    The initial negative reputation point bannings removed several arrogant individuals with an 'entitled' attitude who were contributing nothing to the forum, and it served it's purpose in that respect. I'm very glad to see those particular members kicked out as a result, their actions & comments made their bannings entirely justified & long overdue, and i thank those responsible for finding a way to show those dick heads the door.
    Since then, this approach has been adopted as law by some, and i don't feel that all of those on the receiving end deserve that treatment or even understand why action is being taken against them.
    As a long time member & uploader here i know what a pain in the arse it can be to wade through pages of meaningless 'thanks', but i also appreciate when someone has taken the time to type a few lines to express their appreciation for the post, or to recount a memory of how they first heard the record in question etc.
    That's the kind of feeback & interaction that keeps me uploading music, i enjoy that other people are just as excited by the music as i am.
    Not every 'noob' is a spammer or leecher, and we were all in that position of not knowing all the protocols & rules at the beginning.
    People deserve a little time to prove themselves, otherwise we'll be chasing away people before they have the chance to prove themselves in the forum.
    Given a little encouragement & time some of these very people may prove to be valuable members for the future of this forum.
    It's down to you 'newbies' to prove yourselves too though.
    Get involved. Upload music. Help with requests & re-uploads. Participate in the discussions. Share information. Read the rules.
    Help make this forum a great place to be.
    Through the work of some of the members here i've been introduced to a wealth of terrific music, found out a lot of fascinating info, had some very amusing discussions on a wide variety of subjects and hopefully i've done the same for others in return. Let's get on with that, it's why we are here in the first place. I'm far more interested on focussing on the collective love of music which brings us together here from all over the world, than getting bogged down in the minutae of that which divides us.
    Into glory ride!
    (vking1)

• 3 likes this
    Bringer of Steel
    United Kingdom (uk) Male 

Topics Solved: 96

I started to give negative reputation to everybody that don't make a proper re-upload / request thread, post any non-english message in the forum, post one or two words posts or emoticons, and to everyone that post "Thank You" and similar thing. I'm sick of spammer/leechers.
    FORUM MOD!
    Brazil (br) Male 
    Name: Mauro

Topics Solved: 9

@matweev, @FytTigersharq:

Either you guys didn´t read my post exactly enough, or you are as green and naive as I once was before I realized the following (about a month ago):
    The hidden links are for the birds!
    Just post a reply and the so-called hidden link will show up. Imo the biggest fault on this board.
    Hey, many lads in here are smart enough to figure that very quickly. (facepalm)
    So all they do is simply spam a "thanks" or "gracias" and the download link will show up! Without using the thanks button of course.

And that alone is what I pointed out:
    Spamming just to unhide the download link without giving any reputation points to the uploader is leeching. Period.
    This is not a definition issue, but simply an issue of (un)respectful behavior.

FytTigersharq wrote:-People who see "Thank You!" spam and overreacts, gets mad about it. … It shouldn't get so personal.

Spamming is not the point. Spamming for the only purpose to unhide the download link without giving reputation points is the problem here.

So there´s nothing personal in telling those users by referring to the rules:
    "Please use the Thank you or Thumbs up button if you want to download instead of spamming 'thanks'."

I this case, I have gone through his last 3 spamming posts, he never gave any reputation points to the uploader and now he´s complaining about his own reputation?
    How brazen is this?
    Even better: He´s telling us he spammed over 400 times just to be able to download, obviously without giving any thanks.
    And now you guys mind if I call this behavior "spamming & leeching"?! - Hmm, sorry but I really don´t understand this.

Anyway, I won´t blame you for having not realized the leeching issue as it took half a year until I realized the abuse by spamming. (doh)

To sum it up, I´ll clarify once again what my personal definitions are about this subject:

► Downloaders:

Someone hits the Thanks or Thumbs up button and gives positive reputation for the work of the uploader. - Welcome.
    Even giving more than +1 reputation point? - Very welcome.
    Adding a comment in the reputation form? - Excellent! The perfect way to make the uploader see the comment. (They won´t watch hundreds of their posts to see new comments.)
    Downloading without contributing anything to the forum? - No problem at all! Most people are in here for the downloads, why bother?
    NB: Downloading is not leeching! - I love to share rare stuff with others, otherwise I wouldn´t upload, would I? - Obviously the main reason why Emil created this forum.

► Spammers:
    Posting a generic "Thx" or the like. - Annoying since this should go to the comment in the reputation form. But if reputation is given, why should someone bother? Or overreact as you call it?
    @FytTigersharq: I would never label a comment like "Thank you, I was searching for this for ages!" spamming. Of course this could also go to reputation comment, but it keeps the thread alive, so why bother?
    I´m not giving negative repuation to someone who just spams. - Although you have to admit that finding a re-up in this post is way easier to handle compared to that one.

► Leechers:
    Spamming a generic "Thx" just to unhide the download link and not giving any reputation to the uploader. Plus doing this frequently and on purpose.
    That is what I label "leeching" - nothing else.
    And this is my reason for giving negative reputation to someone while I always try to be fair: One-time leeching can happen by accident, but 3 times out of 3 posts (or 400 times in this case) is too much.
    Still no problem. It´s just a one-time warning. - But ignoring the warning and continuing to violate the rules might cause further problems.

I hope this time I pointed out clearly what my issue is. This topic has been discussed many times on this forum (e.g. A bunch of dudes saying thanks... as CanadaSpaceman pointed out.)

• 3 likes this
    Austria (at) Male

Topics Solved: 931

I'd like to make a couple more points.

I've been involved in discussions and contributed knowledge. Just look in the W.A.S.P. thread. I'm not a "noob" and I'm not "wet behind the ears". I've contributed to finding some of those bands bands who's records have been found and put out like Frigid Bich and Child Saint. There's a couple other albums/demos out there like that came from my personal collection that a lot of you just love. I can also say a reunion of one of the most EPIC early Metal Blade bands started with a conversation I had with the main person feeling them out to see if they wanted to put out some material on a friend's label.

#2 - on most boards, people want you to post THANK YOU in the thread to SHOW APPRECIATION. Every other board IS THAT WAY. I have no idea why it's different here, but if I don't hear it from a mod, why am I going to take crap from some someone who's acting like they're the policeman of this board. If a mod says that to me, that's fine. Some random person who thinks they're the shit, I'm not taking it. And neither would any of you.

3 - It took 1 person to kill most of my rep points. Then the beggars and hangers on jumped in and took the rest. That's ridiculous. That's spiteful. *1* PERSON did this to me. SOMEONE WHO'S NOT A MOD. He's prolly 16 and sitting at home behind his computer. I've earned my stripes. I fought in the message board wars in the early days of the internet. I caused Jayne from Judas Priest's management to flip out on the internet and deny Halford was coming back to Priest and announced it 6 MONTHS before they made it official. No on here knew that W.A.S.P. tried to do a reunion with the 1st lp line up a couple years ago.

D - People that are uploading albums and acting like they own them. And what's funny is you're stealing someone else's work, whether it's an album that someone else recorded, or a show someone else taped, and acting LIKE IT'S YOURS AND YOU OWN IT. Most of the time, most of you have just downloaded it from someplace else and/ converted or posted it. But you act like someone's stealing from YOU. You're putting shit on the internet. And in most cases, it wasn't yours to begin with. The internet is free, but some of you act like you're Comcast and people are stealing your "intellectual property". If you put something on the internet, just be grateful that someone took the time to atleast post a thanks because they appreciated the material and your (supposed) effort. It's easy to talk shit and act tough sitting behind your monitor.

The last board was cool. This was was cool, but so was Thrashmageddon until a couple people acted like it was their little fiefdom. I uploaded a ton of shit there and I bet some of you listen still listen to that shit and love it. This is starting to be like Thrashmageddon part 2 because of a couple people who think they're powerful "BECAUSE I UPLOAD SHIT". Hey asshole, I bet if we combed through your collection we'd find more than a couple pieces of stuff that came out of my personal collection.

pest666

And Running Wild, you're basing what you did on "you're own personal definition of spamming". You're not a moderator, just a 16 yr old hiding behind his monitor acting superior. You said I just put thanx 3 times? You posted yourself that I said "Whoa! Looks cool! Thanx!". But apparently you're only worried about your REPUTATION POINTS. And that gentlemen is EXACTLY what's wrong with what's happened... someone who's worried about their "reputation points" buried me. So there it is folks, by his own words, someone killed my reputation because they (again, not his board, or even a mod) personally felt I violated the rules. The board owner didn't come to me. Just some random person who wanted to feel powerful. And he's done it to other people. That's fucked up.
    Random avatar
    United States (us) Male

Hey Running Wild, why don't you tell us what you've actually contributed to metal besides posting other people's albums? You know, those albums you just downloaded and reposted...

Tell us what you've actually DONE.
    Random avatar
    United States (us) Male

m5570, sorry but now you disrespected the rules.

"We will not tolerate rudeness, profanity, insulting posts, personal attacks, racist, sexist, homophobic, threatening or hateful language!."

What you did is clearly personal insults to RunningWild. He does not have the obligation to respond you just because you provoked him, and now you are the one looking like 16 years old behind the keyboard. You had the chance to keep the conversation polite, but now you pretty much screwed things up to yourself, I doubt any moderator or Strap himself will help someone who insults others like you did now.

• 3 likes this
    Brazil (br) Male
    Name: Fyt Tigersharq

Look guy, do you really want to know why people keep burying your comments in this thread? You ask your question, you get civil, completely fair explanations and you still proceeded to go completely nuts, thus bringing it onto yourself, hell, I'd downvote some of the above too if I had the power, especially when you drag bystanders such as Marco who had nothing to do with the matter into it. Bring the salt level down and try resolving this peacefully like everyone else is. Trust me, nobody is happy you're having this issue, but at least give people the fair chance to explain why what's happening is happening.

• 2 likes this
    FORUM MOD!
    Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
    Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 16

« Return to Support