Other » How to rip cassettes?
converting old tapes

Heya. I have hundreds of old concerts and demos from back in the before cd days. What is the best way to put on cd. I have them now as a wav file on my laptop, but cant seem to add the names of the tracks for old demos for the recordings that do have gaps between songs. Is this acceptable not to split the tracks up ?

Basically a 3 song demo is one long recording, if added to itunes or other media player it thinks its one long track. Im using audacity and a usb cassette player device.

Also is there any tape traders left out there, i was big back in late 80s of snail mail and cassettes. It took years to build my mercyful fate collection as back then nobody had mf on their lists luckily they werent traded much and most if mine are high generation.

I noticed this also when everyone told me how good the early sabbath boot sounded. Ive had that show since about 84, i just bought the cassette on ebay and my old tdk copy sounds wayyyy better. It amazes me how popular MF has gotten.,anyhow any tips on converting my tapes to cd is much appreciated!

Also love to find someone who can hook me up with MF 9/6 and 9/26/81 gigs!
Cheers,
Micah
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

Topics Solved: 0

CD Wave Editor is a very good and user friendly tool to split the tracks. Just import the WAV files into this program and you can split the tracks manually.
Random avatar
Bringer of Steel
Netherlands (nl) Male

Topics Solved: 2

You'll find the 1981-09-06 gig here:

viewtopic.php?f=169&t=17842
United Kingdom (uk) Male

Topics Solved: 144

How to rip cassettes?

Does anyone have recommendations for good ways to go about ripping cassettes to digital format? What machines work the best? I've got some goodies that deserve quality rips, and the recorder I have won't do them any justice.

Thanks for any feedback!
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 
Name: Tachi Ikoma

Topics Solved: 21

Tachi, what kind of cassette player do you have now, tape deck or something like walkman?
Name: Kirill

Topics Solved: 27

I know, because a friend of mine had a NAKAMICHI deck, that they are the best.
But whatever the cassette player is, you have to adjust the azimuth (= screw) on the head of the tape player, with a screw driver, so you can have the best results by rotating the head's screw(s).
It's very important to set the head of your cassette player properly, to "find" by your ear the best sound.
If you want full sound use a Hi-Fi deck.
If you want dry sound use a walkman.Keep in mind that walkman is, very often, spinning faster than it should be.
Connect the deck or the walkman with an amplifier.That will give the rich sound you desire.
From the back of your amplifier connect an exodus with your PC.
Clean the parts of the deck, that will get in touch with the tape of the cassette, with pure alcohol and a clean cotton cloth.
Let them dry for a few seconds.
Then demagnetize with a proper demagnetizer cassette the deck or walkman and start recording.
GOOD LUCK!

(whistle)

• 1 likes this
Name: Sarissoforos

Topics Solved: 9

matweev wrote:Tachi, what kind of cassette player do you have now, tape deck or something like walkman?

I have a really bad player/recorder attached to my really bad old turntable, need to upgrade severely lol.

Prince Hector wrote:I know, because a friend of mine had a NAKAMICHI deck, that they are the best.
But whatever the cassette player is, you have to adjust the azimuth (= screw) on the head of the tape player, with a screw driver, so you can have the best results by rotating the head's screw(s).
It's very important to set the head of your cassette player properly, to "find" by your ear the best sound.
If you want full sound use a Hi-Fi deck.
If you want dry sound use a walkman.Keep in mind that walkman is, very often, spinning faster than it should be.
Connect the deck or the walkman with an amplifier.That will give the rich sound you desire.
From the back of your amplifier connect an exodus with your PC.
Clean the parts of the deck, that will get in touch with the tape of the cassette, with pure alcohol and a clean cotton cloth.
Let them dry for a few seconds.
Then demagnetize with a proper demagnetizer cassette the deck or walkman and start recording.
GOOD LUCK!

(whistle)

Thanks for the tips Hector!
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

This would be the easiest way. Although, I don't know if you can make rips above 128 with Audacity.
Name: David

Topics Solved: 2

Dejv wrote:This would be the easiest way. Although, I don't know if you can make rips above 128 with Audacity.

Yes you can, just takes some tinkering in settings, I'll dig up a guide on doing that in Audacity if you like. The big thing is getting nice clear audio to play through to the computer on which the recording will happen and the rest is pretty simple.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

A hi-fi tape deck (stand alone one) is your weapon of choice than. Prince Hector nailed almost everything about it.
Try to find a deck made in the first half of '90s by any well-known hifi company (Denon, Sony, Technics, Aiwa, Akai, etc) and which is slightly above mid class at the time of manufacturing. Models that are closer to higher class most likely has words "3 head", "bias adjusting", "dolby b/c/s" and "precision" on a front panel.
Why beginning of '90, not '80s or the end of '90? Because there are better chances the mechanism and heads are still intact (comparing to devices from '80s) and quality control is more serious than with the later '90s models (when the tape decks were seen by the manufacturers as a dying race). And after all you still can find them relatively cheap.

• 1 likes this
Name: Kirill

Dejv wrote:This would be the easiest way. Although, I don't know if you can make rips above 128 with Audacity.

I record using Audacity with the settings on WAV, (but your computer's harddrive should have enough space to hold it)
then
a program I bought MP3 Splitter & Joiner Pro to edit out the blank space before / after, and chop into separate tracks.
It is easy, but takes patience to learn / remember the procedure.

Finally, I use dbPoweramp converter to turn the file into whatever I want (if I have downloaded the codecs from their site)
- Flac, mp3, m4a, Apple Lossless, wma, Ogg,

• 3 likes this

Topics Solved: 793

First cassette being ripped right now, it sounds great in comparison to my old rip. Extremely happy so far.

• 3 likes this
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:First cassette being ripped right now, it sounds great in comparison to my old rip. Extremely happy so far.

I hope I helped you, a little bit, to achieve these better cassette rips ...

(beerm)

• 1 likes this
Name: Sarissoforos

Topics Solved: 9

Prince Hector wrote:
TadakatsuH0nda wrote:First cassette being ripped right now, it sounds great in comparison to my old rip. Extremely happy so far.

I hope I helped you, a little bit, to achieve these better cassette rips ...

(beerm)

Yes, absolutely you did. I really appreciate the help guys.
FORUM MOD!
Canada (ca) Male YouTube 

i want to rec a cassette tape for my gf with my favourites mp3.
old school romantic gift :D :D

• 2 likes this
Bringer of Steel
Name: Daniele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjQ_qS- ... w&index=27

Windows 7 - Record what you hear with Audacity
Have to watch this video again, as Audacity disappeared of my computer (maybe Ccleaner or Windows Defender got rid of it).
and now after downloading Audacity again, it does not work, same as the last time I originally grabbed it, as Steinberg WAVLAB would only work on my XP system.
I recall this video explained additional details, how to correct it, and what AUDACITY main page fails to mention, even to this day.
https://youtu.be/mjQ_qS-LaoU

How to rip cassettes?

How can I download these demonstrations? Might you help me ?

http://www.petp.ch/HeavyTrashDemo/index ... diction-2/
Mexico (mx) Male

Topics Solved: 3

just record them with Goldwave while they play or direct download: use Flash Video Downloader plugin for Google Chrome browser
Random avatar
Germany (de) Male

Are you asking how to rip actual cassette tapes, as in you have these at home? Or just how to download the audios streaming from that page?

For the first, if you have a decent tape player and a sound card on your computer with 'line in' you can record the playback to your computer. This is a decent guide:
https://www.howtogeek.com/177084/how-to ... old-media/

If you're going through that trouble I'd encourage you to save them in a lossless format like FLAC and share them around.

If it's the second, you just want those files -
- Hit CTRL + Shift + I in chrome to pull up Chromes dev tools. Click on the "network" tab, then "media"
- Click the "play" button. You'll see the mp3 file appear. Right click + "open in new tab"
- Right click and "save audio as"

• 2 likes this
Random avatar
United States (us) Male

I stopped driving a long time ago, but any time i am in someone's car now, i might get angry.

Nobody has a tape player in the dashboards anymore, and not even a cd player.
It is only a radio, and maybe a port to plug in an iPod/mp3 player.

https://i.postimg.cc/R4vjF3Fx/Blondie-ad-for-Ampex-tapes.jpg

• 1 likes this
FORUM MOD!

On a youtube chatroom last night, one host said "we are live, can everybody hear us?",
and I wrote "That is the question, is it live or is it Memorex?"
and then the chick said, "You're showing your age"
(hahaha666)

PS.
Just finished ripping a Warlock Moon rehearsal, sounds terrible, a lot of tape hiss, but if i use the Dolby NR button, it gets all noisy/staticy instead and there is still hiss.

Yesterday I ripped a Vastator live tape, and today, I see side B has disappeared and have to do it again.
I hate when that happens.

• 2 likes this
FORUM MOD!

argh, found it easier the past 3 days to just rip more tapes, instead of working on editing the ton I already did, into separate tracks/songs

Going to get drunk and now watch WWE Smackdown, maybe later will be in the mood.
FORUM MOD!

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to Other

« Previous topic | Next topic »