Fanzine scans and high resolution photos
FORUM RULES
---------
Only Scans or high resolution photos!

Fanzines » Metal Mania Vol. 2, #4 (1988) (US Fanzine)
  • https://i.imgur.com/1OpRDbf.jpeghmrforum.png

Fanzine: Metal Mania
    Issue: Vol. 2, #4
    Language: English
    Scan Format: jpg
    Hidden Link
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Metal on the Rise includes: School of Violence, Sword, Agony, St. Vitus, Wargasm, Mordred, Sodom and Catalepsy. Demo-Derby includes: Giornesto, Emetic Leprosy, Devias, Wrathchild (America), The Cause and Sacred Death. 78 pages. Scanned by me.

https://i.imgur.com/l4L70ZC.jpeghmrforum.png
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Random avatar

Topics Solved: 18

Thank you very much OctMetal (hornsup666) . I've been doing research (since forever, actually) on the sales and general popularity of various bands, especially Slayer. So any magazine with year-end surveys and sales charts are very important to me. Thank you also for all the Metal Forces uploaded so far! I look forward to issue #58, from February 1991, to see the best of the year by the magazine's staff. From your posts I saw that RAW carried MRIB's Metal chart in 1988/1989. In 1990 it seems that raw had a proprietary chart. Do you know if the MRIB Metal album chart went to Metal Hammer in the second half of 1990? In early 1991 it went to Kerrang!, replacing the Gallup chart. But in 1990 I don't know where it was hosted.
    Brazil (br) Male
    Name: Julio Oliveira

Topics Solved: 0

I'm from Brazil and I've been collecting Metal magazines since 1987 (in fact my father bought them since 1984 here, but I inherited some of his collection. And I started buying them on newsstands in 1988/89, although between 87 and 90 I got several from friends at scene). Unfortunately I can't scan they now (because I don't have a scanning machine haha), but I plan to do so in the near future. (I'm recovering from cancer and these old research and magazines are my "Metal" recovery therapy (metalon2) ). The main reasons for these researches is the discomfort I feel when seeing albums that were acclaimed at the time, being forgotten over time. Or gain the reputation of "aging poorly". Anyone who lived through the era knows how well received albums like Divine Intervention (Slayer), And Justice For All (Metallica), Spiritual Healing (Death) or No Prayer for the Dying (Maiden) were at the time. These magazines are the living proof of that. And I always research the sales charts to try to "unmask" Billboard, which until the mid-90s, represented Metal bands that dependeds heavily on specialized independent stores very bad indeed on they weekly charts. And also to check/research several bands that have GOLD status in the USA and have never been certified (like Testament) or bands that have several albums with platinum status (sometimes even double platinum), but that have not requested (for various reasons) the RIAA certifications (like Slayer).

• 1 likes this
    Brazil (br) Male

In short, thank you very much again! I continue to anxiously await any upload/scans from the magazines that carried the MRIB charts and others in the UK (of course, also the US Metal charts, such as Concrete Foundations Magazine, CMJ (Loud Rock Metal Chart) and FMQB (Metal Detector).

I'm separating and organizing all possible Metal sales charts (the ones I find on the internet, of course), year by year and also national charts from different countries, to compare the same position of an album in different charts. This week's birthdays albums, Seasons in the Abyss and Souls of Black, for example, had absurdly discrepant positions on the US charts. Seasons was #40 for Billboard, #33 (for two weeks) for HITS, #31 for Cashbox, #25 for The Album Network (2 weeks) and #15 for Hitmakers on its National Retail Chart. And it all depended on the quantity and weight given to the general independent and Metal independent stores researched and and the methodology (the inverted point system, used for Billboard and Cashbox, until 1991, was very bad for Metal bands with a core of fanatic fans indeed). Testament's Souls of Black was #73 on Billboard and #37 on Hitmakers, for example. And there are other charts in the US from important magazines that I haven't had access to yet, like Pollstar.

Anyway, thanks again and Keep The Flame Burning! (satandevil) (hornsup666) (metal2666)
    Brazil (br) Male

LOGIN / REGISTER TO BE ABLE TO COMMENT ON POSTS + VOTE TO SEE HIDDEN LINKS

« Return to Fanzines